Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Mac admits using steroids...

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I wish I could join some of you in the ethusiasm of MAC coming forward. In my mind it is too little too late. So he came forward "sooooo" big deal. He should of come forward when all the contoversy was going on. So he comes forward almost 10 years later from retiring??? What does that do for me? Nothing!!

The most important thing which I think a lot of you missed is as much as he apologizes he still has tainted one of the most coveted records in baseball.

When he publically asks to have his Home Run record taken down is when I will be impressed with him coming forward.
    The reason he did not come forward has already been discussed but at the time of the hearing he actually did admit use just not under oath. The reason he did not talk was because he was not granted immunity and his family and friends would be forced to get involved. Now it is past the limitations and he can talk fully about it.

I wish I could join some of you in the ethusiasm of MAC coming forward. In my mind it is too little too late. So he came forward "sooooo" big deal. He should of come forward when all the contoversy was going on. So he comes forward almost 10 years later from retiring??? What does that do for me? Nothing!!

The most important thing which I think a lot of you missed is as much as he apologizes he still has tainted one of the most coveted records in baseball.

When he publically asks to have his Home Run record taken down is when I will be impressed with him coming forward.
    And as far as the record is concerned it no longer belongs to Mark, it belongs to Barry Bonds.

I just feel compelled to say this....

I wish Mark McGwire peace, love, and a happy life going forward. What he did had to be painful, and will continue to be for a long while.

Love him or hate him for cheating.....he had the courage to tell the truth. And that says a lot about his character, and as a man.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    And as far as the record is concerned it no longer belongs to Mark, it belongs to Barry Bonds.

Maybe in your book........not in mine.

It still belongs to Maris.

Banned

It may not belong to Mark but he was the first one to break it anf got the most hoopla over it because it took so long to break and it was hoopla over a tainted breaking. Yes the record on paper belongs to Bonds but as the other member posted.

In my heart it still belongs to Maris!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Maybe in your book........not in mine.

It still belongs to Maris.

What Maris did was incredible. There was a reason why nobody approached it for almost 40 years. I will never forget that HR race I think at the time it was what baseball needed but now we can all look back on the records with our own views which is how the game is I suppose.

On a sidenote many would argue the record still belongs to the Babe because of the games played....

Two other opinions:

Hank Aaron on Mark McGwire's mea culpa:

"I think that it's wonderful that he did this. It takes a big man to admit this and I want to commend him for that. A lot of people make mistakes, and for him to stand up and admit what he has done in the past, I think it's very admirable.

"As far as I'm concerned he has asked for forgiveness. He has my forgiveness. If that's all that stands in the way between him being inducted into Cooperstown we should all forgive him. He didn't commit murder. He didn't commit robbery. He said he took steroids."

McGwire offered a personal apology to Roger Maris' widow too. While the family still understandably thinks that Roger should have the record, check out their response:

"He told her he had something to tell her - he just wanted her to know the news was going to break and that he did do steroids," Rich Maris said. "He apologized to her, to my dad, to us kids. That speaks volumes to the kind of guy he is . . . My mom was very touched by his call. She felt sorry for Mark - that he's going through this. She conveyed that we all make mistakes and move on from there."

"This [McGwire's steroid use] is something we thought all along. It wasn't so much a surprise, but I feel bad for Mark. He's a very genuine guy and we're close to him - we love him like a brother. I'm glad he got it out."
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

On a sidenote many would argue the record still belongs to the Babe because of the games played....
    Very true but.......... Babe broke it in more games with the guy who had the record before him.

Very true but.......... Babe broke it in more games with the guy who had the record before him.
    1889 Buck Freeman 25 HR in 155 games
    1919 Babe Ruth 29 HR in 130 games as a red sox
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Lol it just goes on and on! Really I think knowleadgeable baseball fans understand that the game has changed and keep things in perspective. I love the history of the game and learning about the greats that played the game.

For instance think about just the medicinal side of sports that has changed. Things like Tommy John surgery and Knee reconstructions many times serious injuries would just end a career... now guys are not only able to come back and play sometimes they are back within a year now! Even things like cleats that are made to support your feet and take stress off your joints...rather than leather and a little cardboard lol.

One thing today's players deal with more and more is the media..the internet has changed things and more and more a player's personal life is open for public discussion. Can you imagine Mickey and other yankees going out and causing the havoc they did today?