Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    nfl.com
    This "ranking system" only takes into account stats: tackles, sacks, fumbles (forced, recoverd), interceptions , safeties, passes defensed and Tds scored. According to it Tyvon Branch is the AFC's top DB. For corners stats do not tell the story. I do notice though that two Dolphins are in the top ten so I am not surprised that you cited it.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    This "ranking system" only takes into account stats: tackles, sacks, fumbles (forced, recoverd), interceptions , safeties, passes defensed and Tds scored. According to it Tyvon Branch is the AFC's top DB. For corners stats do not tell the story. I do notice though that two Dolphins are in the top ten so I am not surprised that you cited it.
    Had nothing to do with 2 Dolphins being on it. But those stats are things that the NFL looks at. I'm not taking anything away from Revis, I'm just looking at stats which is a big part of it. 3 INTs returned for TDs is pretty impressive!

I will be straight forward with everyone and state that I am a big Packer fan and just as big of a Woodson fan. Im not sure if any of you guys have ever seen the website profootballfocus.com but I think you should check it out. Woodson was all over the field this season, getting sacks, strips, helping out the best run D ect ect. Revis was the best coverage corner in the league, that is not debatable. But imo Woodson was more valuable from an overall standpoint. Yeah revis shut down some big names but did he help out in other areas? I will admit I have only seen about 3 or 4 full jets games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    I will be straight forward with everyone and state that I am a big Packer fan and just as big of a Woodson fan. Im not sure if any of you guys have ever seen the website profootballfocus.com but I think you should check it out. Woodson was all over the field this season, getting sacks, strips, helping out the best run D ect ect. Revis was the best coverage corner in the league, that is not debatable. But imo Woodson was more valuable from an overall standpoint. Yeah revis shut down some big names but did he help out in other areas? I will admit I have only seen about 3 or 4 full jets games this season.
    Well stated!

Banned

I admit I am biased also in that Revis is my favorite active player so much so that I dropped almost 2 grand to buy one of his jerseys the only time I ever spent over a grand on a single item. Woodson is a great player and he may very well end up in Canton someday and if I were voting for the All Pro team I would vote him and Revis as the two corners. Woodson is a tremendous athlete and he plays a variety of roles on his team and I understand that and he had great success and if not for Revis I would say he should be the unanimous DOP. It is just that Revis cannot be defined by stats alone and what he did in shutting down the leagues top receivers week after week was remarkable and has rarely been done by a corner in NFL history. His job was to take the other team's top receiver out of the game and shut down one side of the field he did so week after week after week resulting in his team being the NFL's top defense. This had a tremendous effect on each game as it made life very hard for the other team's offense to get anything going and allowed the Jets to provide help when needed to their other corners who are medicore at best. This also covered for a subpar Jets pass rush and as Cedric Benson just showed the Jets can be run on and without Revis it would have been a long season for the green and white. Asking him to blitz or play the run would minimize his talents and force him to spend snaps doing something other than his speciality and on those snaps who would cover the top receivers?

Banned

What Revis did against some of the top Receivers in the league is truly amazing. I can't argue for/against either one of these great players. I am surprised the voting wasn't closer. True stats play a huge part in the voting. That huge disparity kind of makes me think there was some kind of bias in the decision.

Woodson might be the only player to win the heisman and DPOY. Not sure.

But please check out profootballfocus.com, even for other positions it helps any argument you might have in a bar. From JSonline - "Capers used Woodson to play four different positions -- cornerback, nickel back, safety and linebacker during games and he was also used to blanket the opponent's best receiver." And he is the first player to ever 3 Defensive player of the month awards. Revis is younger and will have a great chance to to win one or more in the future. Plus he has the New York media behind him.

I think Peyton should more bitter about Charles winning the heisman than Revis should be about charles winning this award.

Banned

I think another problem with the voting is Sharper only getting 3 votes. His numbers were very comparable to Woodson. He had 9 INT's, 71 tackles, 3 TD's, and even a safety. I'm not saying Sharper should have won. But he should have had a better showing in the final tally. He was just as valuable to his team as Woodson, and really helped carry the Saints' defense, which isn't particularly as dominating as the Packers or Jets. This coupled with Revis low vote total suggests a large lack of objectivity in the voting !

Banned

Woodson might be the only player to win the heisman and DPOY. Not sure.

But please check out profootballfocus.com, even for other positions it helps any argument you might have in a bar. From JSonline - "Capers used Woodson to play four different positions -- cornerback, nickel back, safety and linebacker during games and he was also used to blanket the opponent's best receiver." And he is the first player to ever 3 Defensive player of the month awards. Revis is younger and will have a great chance to to win one or more in the future. Plus he has the New York media behind him.

I think Peyton should more bitter about Charles winning the heisman than Revis should be about charles winning this award.
    He is the only player to win both as defensive players almost never win the Heisman and he only won it because besides defense he did work on special teams and on offense. As for Revis winning in the future I doubt he or anyone could have the year he had twice and if anything there is an anti-New York bias among the writers. Look how long it took Harry Carson to get to Canton and George Young and Parcells still are not there (The he might coach again argument falls flat as Gibbs coached after being inducted so what is the big deal?). Certain writers also demean Michael Strahan and imply he is less than a hall of famer despite all the sacks, pro bowls, the single season sack record, the DPOY and the fact that unlike most pass rushers he could also play the run and oh yeah the Super Bowl upset over the Patriots that he was a major part of. One writer even tried comparing him with Chris Doleman. Back on point though it is rare for a corner to win at all if you look most of the DPOY awards have gone to linebackers especially lately. (Ray Lewis, Jason Taylor, Brian Urlacher)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    I think another problem with the voting is Sharper only getting 3 votes. His numbers were very comparable to Woodson. He had 9 INT's, 71 tackles, 3 TD's, and even a safety. I'm not saying Sharper should have won. But he should have had a better showing in the final tally. He was just as valuable to his team as Woodson, and really helped carry the Saints' defense, which isn't particularly as dominating as the Packers or Jets. This coupled with Revis low vote total suggests a large lack of objectivity in the voting !
    What it is is each writer gets only one vote. The writers do not watch every game and some likely have not even seen all the candidates play this year at all. They just look at the stats and the highlight clips which favored Woodson over the others and the fact that like the Steelers and Cowboys the Packers are a national team also helped. The Saints have a rep for playing bad D and when people think of them Brees is the first person they think of. For the Vikings Jared Allen was a good candidate but everyone focuses on Farve and Peterson mania. For the Broncos Elvis deserved consideration but the team had a terriable second half and everyone thinks of Dawkins and Champ Bailey before Elvis. The Jets are not even the most popular team in New York and much of the season was consumed by Yankee mania, the Giants falling apart and Sanchez' ups and downs.