Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

didnt mean to quote you on that one, my bad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    I think its insane to compare the two teams they played this weekend, but what the hell... Cinci is terrible passing team this season with a QB who has something seriously wrong with him(its the only way to explain why he is a shell of his former self), they have 1 good wr, and are a run oriented team. The cards are quarterbacked by the 2nd highest rated post season passer in NFL history. They have 2-3 pro bowl quality wrs and are a pass first team. chad johnson or ocho watever is no fitz and palmer is no warner. glad we got that out of the way.

The award is defensive player of the year not defensive corner of the year.
    I agree with your analogy about Palmer vs Warner, and Fitz vs. Ocho ! I think Fitzgerald is the best Receiver to play the game since Jerry Rice. He can carry a team if he needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    I agree with your analogy about Palmer vs Warner, and Fitz vs. Ocho ! I think Fitzgerald is the best Receiver to play the game since Jerry Rice. He can carry a team if he needs to.
    If Randy Moss wasnt sure a mental case he would be just as good as anyone in the past 2 decades. Steve smith I think is my fav to watch, he just works so hard for a little guy. He is the allen iverson of football, a little too much attitude but plays harder than 99% of the league. What fitz did last year in the playoffs reserved him a spot in canton, dude is a beast.

Banned

If Randy Moss wasnt sure a mental case he would be just as good as anyone in the past 2 decades. Steve smith I think is my fav to watch, he just works so hard for a little guy. He is the allen iverson of football, a little too much attitude but plays harder than 99% of the league. What fitz did last year in the playoffs reserved him a spot in canton, dude is a beast.
    There are definitely some other guys you can make a case for. But Fitz is such a class act compared to Smith and Moss. Just by the way he carries himself on and off the field reminds me so much of the way Rice was. Of course his career has hardly matched Jerry's. At least not yet !

Banned

Fitz is defintely going to be a great one he has accomplished so much and is still so young but noone will ever match Rice. Warner might be done after these playoffs and if not has no more than a year or two left max the man is almost 40 and with Leinart or someone else not in Warner's league as his QB Fitz's numbers won't be as high. The QB is a very important thing to a WR look at Owens he played great when he had Young, Garcia, McNabb and Romo but once he got Fitzgerald and Edwards his numbers dropped. Or Moss he played great with Culpepper, the prime version and Brady but the Oakland QBs were terriable and his numbers were far from great. Rice played almost exclusively with very good QBs (Montana, Rice, Gannon) so that helped him alot.

I will always think don hutson is the greatest wr of all time for the same reason I think Ruth is the greatest hr hitter of all time and Barry Sanders is the greatest college player of all time. Its not a popular choice to say hutson is the greatest, but its not without merit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Fitz is defintely going to be a great one he has accomplished so much and is still so young but noone will ever match Rice. Warner might be done after these playoffs and if not has no more than a year or two left max the man is almost 40 and with Leinart or someone else not in Warner's league as his QB Fitz's numbers won't be as high. The QB is a very important thing to a WR look at Owens he played great when he had Young, Garcia, McNabb and Romo but once he got Fitzgerald and Edwards his numbers dropped. Or Moss he played great with Culpepper, the prime version and Brady but the Oakland QBs were terriable and his numbers were far from great. Rice played almost exclusively with very good QBs (Montana, Rice, Gannon) so that helped him alot.

I agree, I don't think anyone will ever top Jerry Rice. He has the rings,records, and was a credit to the game. Something a lot of these character-deprived players today will never be able to say.

Banned

I will always think don hutson is the greatest wr of all time for the same reason I think Ruth is the greatest hr hitter of all time and Barry Sanders is the greatest college player of all time. Its not a popular choice to say hutson is the greatest, but its not without merit.
    Hutson has amazing numbers for his time and unlike Rice he did not play with MVP/HOF qbs so he is defintely in the discussion which to me can never be resolved because they played in such different eras.

Banned

What I meant by match Rice is from overall numbers, super bowls and awards. Hutson played before the super bowl era and there was obviously much less passing then so his numbers are naturally much less than Rice's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Hutson has amazing numbers for his time and unlike Rice he did not play with MVP/HOF qbs so he is defintely in the discussion which to me can never be resolved because they played in such different eras.

I agree without some type of relative statistical adjustment there's really no way to compare players of such different eras. Baseball hitters are the perfect example of this. You have The "Dead Ball Era" of the early 1900's, the robust hitters Era of the 30's where guys were benched for hitting .285, and of course our "Steroid Era" where 50 home run hitters were everywhere. And even if you relatively balance out numbers there are other factors like QB's and of course the rule changes in pass coverage since Hutson played. That being the big one that I don't think there is any adjustment to compensate for.