X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legaleagle92481
    Banned
    • Oct 2009

o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

I think this is absurd while Woodson had an amazing year, Revis was by far the best corner in the NFL this season and without him the Jets would never have gotten near the playoffs. His shutdown ability is the number one reason that the Jets had the NFL's top rated defense. Week after week he shut down some of the best receivers in the league most of whom are pro bowl regulars. Here are the names: Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens (twice), Randy Moss (twice), Reggie Wayne, Chad Ochocinco (twice with one coming in the playoffs), Roddy White, Steve Smith (Panthers), Marques Colston, Antonio Bryant. He gave up zero 100 yard games and if I am correct zero even 80 yard games and two touchdowns all year one of which was an impossible to defend Brady to Moss short pass into the end zone. I know the voting was done before then but Woodson gave up that many TDs in Sunday's game verus the Cards alone. Yet Woodson gets DOUBLE the amount of votes Revis gets, the national media gives the Jets and their players no respect and as a Jets fan I find it disappointing.
  • jhunt28
    • Oct 2008

Re: o/t Charles Woodson voted Defensive Player of the Year

Ditto...People will argue that Woodson had more tackles and INT's, which is garbage. No one in this league is more feared than Revis at corner. Below is a nice illustration of his work this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DeionSandersDarrelleRevisComparisonStats.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	658476

Comment

• jhunt28
      • Oct 2008

ugh...i suck at posting pics...either too big or too small
      Attached Files

Comment

• JasonBanz
        • Oct 2008

Revis may be a shutdown corner, but he was ranked 51st out of all defensive backs in the league. 54 combined tackles with no sacks. 6 interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown. Zero forced fumbles. He also let the terrible Ted Ginn Jr. burn past him for a 53 yard TD pass on MNF . Charles Woodson had 74 tackles and 2 sacks. 9 interceptions with 3 returned for touchdowns. 4 forced fumbles with 1 recovered. The only thing Revis beat him with was 37 passes defended compared to Woodson's 27.

Comment

• JasonBanz
          • Oct 2008

Let me correct myself, he was not the 51st Defensive Back in the league, he was the 51st Defensive Back in the AFC. I think Woodson deserved it more than Revis. Sorry for the mistake!

Comment

• jhunt28
            • Oct 2008

I'm sure this can be argued either way...personally, I think Revis was the best defender in the NFL this year. I'm also a bit partial being a huge Jets fan. He definitely dropped 3-4 easy INT's this year, so maybe that would have sealed the deal for him? In the larger scope, Woodson is on his way out, and Revis is on his way up. This may be a fairwell to Charles...Revis has plenty of years ahead of him to scoop up a few DPOTY Awards.

Comment

• JasonBanz
              • Oct 2008

Revis is a great corner, which scares me to death considering we face him twice a year.

Comment

• halzeus
                • Apr 2008

Revis is a great cornerback, but Woodson had a better year overall defensively.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by JasonBanz
                  Revis may be a shutdown corner, but he was ranked 51st out of all defensive backs in the league. 54 combined tackles with no sacks. 6 interceptions, with one returned for a touchdown. Zero forced fumbles. He also let the terrible Ted Ginn Jr. burn past him for a 53 yard TD pass on MNF . Charles Woodson had 74 tackles and 2 sacks. 9 interceptions with 3 returned for touchdowns. 4 forced fumbles with 1 recovered. The only thing Revis beat him with was 37 passes defended compared to Woodson's 27.
                  What is this ranking based on? And who created it? Safeties are also defensive backs, how do you compare them with corners, when they have a different role? What is Woodson's ranking in the NFC under this system? Revis and Woodson play different roles Revis is not used to blitz and hence will not accumulate sacks. He is used almost exclusively in one on one matchups against the opponent's top receiver. He does not have as many tackles because the receivers he covers do not catch the ball often and he is not used as a run stuffing corner. He did drop a few INTs but so does every corner and he has less chances for them then most corners because the quarterback is avoiding his side of the field and INTs do not make a great corner. Asante Samuel has I believe 9 ints but he gets them by trying to jump routes and as a result he gets burned for big plays alot. Deltha O'Neal was the same way in the past. I am willing to wager that QBs threw to the receiver being covered by Woodson more, completed more passes for more yards to them than they threw to the ones covered by Revis and that Woodson allowed more big plays especially TDs.

Comment

• JasonBanz
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                    What is this ranking based on? And who created it? Safeties are also defensive backs, how do you compare them with corners, when they have a different role? What is Woodson's ranking in the NFC under this system? Revis and Woodson play different roles Revis is not used to blitz and hence will not accumulate sacks. He is used almost exclusively in one on one matchups against the opponent's top receiver. He does not have as many tackles because the receivers he covers do not catch the ball often and he is not used as a run stuffing corner. He did drop a few INTs but so does every corner and he has less chances for them then most corners because the quarterback is avoiding his side of the field and INTs do not make a great corner. Asante Samuel has I believe 9 ints but he gets them by trying to jump routes and as a result he gets burned for big plays alot. Deltha O'Neal was the same way in the past. I am willing to wager that QBs threw to the receiver being covered by Woodson more, completed more passes for more yards to them than they threw to the ones covered by Revis and that Woodson allowed more big plays especially TDs.
                    nfl.com

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by JasonBanz
                      nfl.com
                      This "ranking system" only takes into account stats: tackles, sacks, fumbles (forced, recoverd), interceptions , safeties, passes defensed and Tds scored. According to it Tyvon Branch is the AFC's top DB. For corners stats do not tell the story. I do notice though that two Dolphins are in the top ten so I am not surprised that you cited it.

Comment

• JasonBanz
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                        This "ranking system" only takes into account stats: tackles, sacks, fumbles (forced, recoverd), interceptions , safeties, passes defensed and Tds scored. According to it Tyvon Branch is the AFC's top DB. For corners stats do not tell the story. I do notice though that two Dolphins are in the top ten so I am not surprised that you cited it.
                        Had nothing to do with 2 Dolphins being on it. But those stats are things that the NFL looks at. I'm not taking anything away from Revis, I'm just looking at stats which is a big part of it. 3 INTs returned for TDs is pretty impressive!

Comment

• ivo610
                          • Dec 2009

I will be straight forward with everyone and state that I am a big Packer fan and just as big of a Woodson fan. Im not sure if any of you guys have ever seen the website profootballfocus.com but I think you should check it out. Woodson was all over the field this season, getting sacks, strips, helping out the best run D ect ect. Revis was the best coverage corner in the league, that is not debatable. But imo Woodson was more valuable from an overall standpoint. Yeah revis shut down some big names but did he help out in other areas? I will admit I have only seen about 3 or 4 full jets games this season.
                          Ryan

NFL game used collector

Comment

• JasonBanz
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ivo610
                            I will be straight forward with everyone and state that I am a big Packer fan and just as big of a Woodson fan. Im not sure if any of you guys have ever seen the website profootballfocus.com but I think you should check it out. Woodson was all over the field this season, getting sacks, strips, helping out the best run D ect ect. Revis was the best coverage corner in the league, that is not debatable. But imo Woodson was more valuable from an overall standpoint. Yeah revis shut down some big names but did he help out in other areas? I will admit I have only seen about 3 or 4 full jets games this season.
                            Well stated!

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ivo610
                              I admit I am biased also in that Revis is my favorite active player so much so that I dropped almost 2 grand to buy one of his jerseys the only time I ever spent over a grand on a single item. Woodson is a great player and he may very well end up in Canton someday and if I were voting for the All Pro team I would vote him and Revis as the two corners. Woodson is a tremendous athlete and he plays a variety of roles on his team and I understand that and he had great success and if not for Revis I would say he should be the unanimous DOP. It is just that Revis cannot be defined by stats alone and what he did in shutting down the leagues top receivers week after week was remarkable and has rarely been done by a corner in NFL history. His job was to take the other team's top receiver out of the game and shut down one side of the field he did so week after week after week resulting in his team being the NFL's top defense. This had a tremendous effect on each game as it made life very hard for the other team's offense to get anything going and allowed the Jets to provide help when needed to their other corners who are medicore at best. This also covered for a subpar Jets pass rush and as Cedric Benson just showed the Jets can be run on and without Revis it would have been a long season for the green and white. Asking him to blitz or play the run would minimize his talents and force him to spend snaps doing something other than his speciality and on those snaps who would cover the top receivers?

Comment

Working...