Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Cal Ripken R161

Cal Ripken R161

Hello Mike,
    I know we've probably covered most all the batting records for Ripken based upon the previous posts but I've got one in my collection which I don't think we've coverd.
    It's a 84-85 vintage LVS R161 with just "Cal Ripken" (no Jr) on the barrel. Can you provide the ordering records for this bat?? Is this relatively rare Ripken gamer??

Thanks in advance!
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Re: Cal Ripken R161

Hi Dan--

Ripken R161 bats are one of the rare Ripken models, with only two orders documented in his H & B factory records during his entire career. Both orders match the labeling period you describe (1983 - 1985). Here are the specifics-- the bat length and finish should tell you what order it is from:

4/25/83 R161 35.5 inches / 35 oz Flame Treated 12 bats
    2/15/85 R161 35 inches / 34 oz Natural 18 bats

The signature style you describe is one that was introduced on 10/30/78 and continued past 1981 to some point. Unfortunately, one aspect of the factory records that was lost when the 1981 change to computerized records was made was the ability to specifically ascertain when a player's signature style changed, as could generally be seen on the Bat Card records.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Re: Cal Ripken R161

Thanks Mike,
    After further research on the forum I did see that you did provide some info on the R161 model but this post provided a little more detail. Thank you again!
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)