Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O's Fan Fest

Re: O's Fan Fest

Quote Originally Posted by jwasserman View Post
    There were 2 other Wieters jerseys. I think the same got who got the Ripken helmet also got those. He was also the one who picked up the Matusz jersey.

Geoff,
    Fred got the Jones Road jersey and a pair of Neimold pants. I didn't see the Neimold jersey.
    More like he's the guy who pulled the Matusz out of my hands...not a pleasant morning for me.

Those batting helmets were from 1995. I saw something hanging that mentioned it.

I got there late this year. By the time I found a parking spot (on the other side of the Ravens stadium), I probably did not get up there until close to noon. I did pick up some of the batting practice jerseys such as Eaton, Zaun, Ray, at $50 and then picked up some more when they dropped down to $30, but no big names for me. It seemed like this must have been better this year with bigger names, but they did not have as many jerseys in general this year and I bought no home or road jerseys at the $100 price.

I did get Markakis on a OML ball. Also, I did get Ron Hansen to inscribe 1960 AL ROY on a ball, but for me the autograph situation was a disappointment as you did not know where to stand and the lines were too long and took forever.

Chris

Were there any Jason Berken items for sale? If anyone picked up a jersey I would be interested in purchasing it.

jklogue11@comcast.net

sorry to hear that mark. he apparently also had a scuffle with a guy over the ripken helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    More like he's the guy who pulled the Matusz out of my hands...not a pleasant morning for me.

Does anyone know who that Guy is.Is He A Forum Member because I remember him from this past Year at A Silent Auction The O's were having And I was Bidding against him for A Jones Game Used Signed BP Jersey.I did almost have A Matusz Myself but I picked up A Tillman And The Matusz was in The Next Pile over from me.I know his Name but is he A Dealer or does He do EBay because I am sure He has Tons of Stuff unless He Sells it all.I still had Fun And did pretty Good This Year I think.Jamie I will email about The Jones they had at FanFest.Thanks for letting me know that.

I did not see any Berken Jerseys but who knows they could have had one.

My thoughts on fanfest.

I went to fanfest last year but I went just as someone who was going with friends and did not really take it in like a collector. This was my first fanfest that I did it like a collector in 8 or 9 years.

Autograph policy....

Previous years they would have player times posted and which stations they were going to be at and when. Well as you can figure people want the stars so lets say Adam Jones was going to be at a line at 3pm. In previous years people who really wanted him would line up many hours early outside the autograph station causing a big cluster of people to be there. So the casual non true collector fan most likely wouldnt get them as they didnt know how this game really works that the early bird gets the worm.

This year the O's thought they solved the issue. What did they do? They didnt tell you who was going to be at at stations until 1 hour before they signed. Well there were so many people there you just had to get in a random line that you didnt know who was going to be at your table until 1 hour before hand but if you didnt do this you wernt going to get the random player. The O's workers were so surprized that people were just making their own lines for autographs for players they did not know who would be at the table but this is what you had to do to get autographs.

Basically if the signing was at 1pm you would start making an unoffical line at 11am at 12pm they would announce the players you basically had to hope it was someone u wanted or you just wasted an hour of your life standing in a line for nothing. at 12 they would let you in the offical line for the 1pm signing. You basically had to do this all day.

I luckily figured this out early on and got almost everything I wanted signed so I am happy with my results but there were still lots of non collector casual fans moaning and groaning because they would not be getting the superstars autographs as they did not join these unofficials lines and wondered why the Matt Wieters line was full 4 seconds after it was announced he would be in that line.

Game used section:

I love the fact the Os have a game used section. I did not purchase anything from it because I do have issue with it. I think other than the most high dollar items of the superstars they dont really know if the items they are advertising really are game used or not. The O's have stacks and stacks of "game used jerseys" of players who hardly played any games with the team or even were on the 25 man roster for more than a week or two, yet they have dozens of their "game used jerseys"? I find it hard to believe the non superstars wore a new jersey for every game they sat the bench while on the team. Looking at the jerseys I saw many that did not show any use whatsoever. The O's dont use strip tags on their items. For that reason I shy away from them because I just dont truly feel they are game used.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    I am trying to keep score here so let's see how close I am.

They had 1 Markakis which was on the silent auction and went for only $600

They had 3 Wieters in the game used room.
    They had 1 Matusz in the game used room.

Any Adam Jones or Brian Roberts jerseys?

So what did the Wieters and Matusz jerseys sell for?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Andrew as far as I can tell you are correct on all fronts in terms of number and names. I did not see any Jones or Roberts Jerseys. The jerseys mentioned went for $100.00 each.

I know people are offering ten times that amount or more in some cases for the Wieters. So, to sum it up, there is no reason to wonder why people are literally beating each other up to get to the game used room as soon as the doors open. If you are lucky enough to grab a couple of the few prime players or prospects jersey's that are there, you can turn them if you so desire for five to ten times what you paid. All going to those who show up the earliest and getting into the room first.

I honestly wonder why in some ways players like a Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Reimold, Roberts and prospects like Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, Patton, and the like are not kept on a seperate table or something and given tiered pricing levels. I am willing to bet that if they started the Wieters and any Markakis, Jones, etc off at like $750.00 people would have still bought them. Top prospects they could have charged like $300 or $250 or whatever and the same thing would have happened. While it would still seem like a chaotic approach, I bet that would cut down slightly on people charging the room all in the hope of scoring one or two top players to flip on ebay.

I know several forum members who as previously mentioned are die hard Orioles collectors that have no plans to flip these items. However, dealers and the like can have a field day all for showing up at the crack of dawn and standing outside the earliest.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

I was Standing there Watching The Markakis in The Jersey Auction.I was there til The End.I knew I should have Bought The Markakis but did not have The Funds from what I bought earlier.I would have givin up on alot of what I bought to get that Markakis in The Auction if I only knew.I was saying it was going to go really High.I was so Surprised it did not go High.I might be Kicking mySelf for A While on this One as I could have had it.But oh Well I got other Good Stuff And am Happy with What I got at FanFest.