X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: ARod's 500th HR ball going to Auction

Originally posted by allstarsplus
    Joel - Steve "Suicide_Squeeze" just called me and said that he is in the mix on bidding on the ball.

I laughed and told him that I could see him staying in until it gets to $85,000 so he hits his estimate and he promised me that wouldn't be the case.

Hope he wins it!!!!!!!!!
    Andrew,

I have no doubt that Steve was the first to make a bid at the $25K minimum. That's what i would have done if i was in the mix. I wish him luck.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• allstarsplus
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi
      Andrew,

I have no doubt that Steve was the first to make a bid at the $25K minimum. That's what i would have done if i was in the mix. I wish him luck.
      Joel - I know. I hope he gets it. His collection of the 500 HR Club is so amazing. Since ARod has the ability to break the career HR record, this would be a great piece.

He also was telling me that he went to the Los Angeles sports museum last week and enjoyed it.
      Regards,
      Andrew Lang
      AllstarsPlus@aol.com
      202-716-8500

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by allstarsplus
        Joel - I know. I hope he gets it. His collection of the 500 HR Club is so amazing. Since ARod has the ability to break the career HR record, this would be a great piece.

He also was telling me that he went to the Los Angeles sports museum last week and enjoyed it.
        Wouldn't doubt Cypres is in the mix too and Steve was determining the interest level of Cypres. He's usually available at his museum. Nice man.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• allstarsplus
          • Nov 2005

Wouldn't doubt Cypres is in the mix too and Steve was determining the interest level of Cypres. He's usually available at his museum. Nice man.
          Yep, hope to visit him and the museum when I am out to Anaheim for the All Star game in July.
          Regards,
          Andrew Lang
          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
          202-716-8500

Comment

• Buster
            Banned
            • Jan 2010

Did you guys notice the ball has a reserve which hasn't been met yet? I wonder what the reserve is?

Would $50,000 be the logical guess? Which means the ball has miraculously been bid to the point that the VERY next bid would put it over? Does this sound like shades of Mastronet and American Memorabilia of yesterday?

Just asking.

Buster

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Buster
              Did you guys notice the ball has a reserve which hasn't been met yet? I wonder what the reserve is?

Would $50,000 be the logical guess? Which means the ball has miraculously been bid to the point that the VERY next bid would put it over? Does this sound like shades of Mastronet and American Memorabilia of yesterday?

Just asking.

Buster
              based on the 6 items for auction with a miimum bid over $10,000 i say no since some already are double the minimum and have not passed the reserve.

the next bid is $53594.
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Buster
                Banned
                • Jan 2010

based on the 6 items for auction with a miimum bid over $10,000 i say no since some already are double the minimum and have not passed the reserve.

the next bid is $53594.
                Hello joel, sir.

That is my point exactly!

Would you concede I may be correct if the next bid puts the ball over the "reserve"? Remember, I said "MAY BE correct". Nothing is sure, unless you are viewing the "max bids" from your computer screen on the rigged bidding system from the annuls of AMI's back rooms in Las Vegas. But those days are apparently over for them. I'm not sure how closely SCP Auctions are watched by the feds? And in any case, they so conveniently disclosed that they could "exercise bids" for their clients to a higher amount in their auction descriptions to anyone who cared to read through it. So that right there covered their butts as to what it really was. Shill bidding. Glad it's all fixed now.

Buster

Comment

• Buster
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2010

Do you guys think Alex Rodriguez reads the threads on his stuff like this one?

If so, Hey Alex!!

You're OVERPAID dude!!!

Comment

• joelsabi
                    • Aug 2005

Hello joel, sir.

That is my point exactly!

Would you concede I may be correct if the next bid puts the ball over the "reserve"? Remember, I said "MAY BE correct". Nothing is sure, unless you are viewing the "max bids" from your computer screen on the rigged bidding system from the annuls of AMI's back rooms in Las Vegas. But those days are apparently over for them. I'm not sure how closely SCP Auctions are watched by the feds? And in any case, they so conveniently disclosed that they could "exercise bids" for their clients to a higher amount in their auction descriptions to anyone who cared to read through it. So that right there covered their butts as to what it really was. Shill bidding. Glad it's all fixed now.

Buster
                    Not sure how they determine the reserve, if the auctioneers have a set percentage from the minimum bid to the reserve bid. There is one item with a minimum bid of $10K and has a current bid of $34529 and has not hit the reserve. I figure the factor is less than 3.4 since this item has a higher minimum bid so you could be right. If all the minbid to reserve ratios are proportional that means at least a $78469 to hit the reserve.
                    Regards,
                    Joel S.
                    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Buster
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2010

Joel,

Minimum bids are usually set solely by the auction house. On some major items, that "amount" is most likely discussed with the consigner prior to the start of the auction.

But very simply, any reserve amount is set by the consigner, period. If the auction house had any issue with that, they might try to talk the seller (consigner) down a bit on the reserve, but make no mistake, it's the seller's call. If the auction house just flat out refuses to go along with it (which I can't believe happens very often at all), the seller simply can take his "goods" to another auction house that will "honor" that desired reserve.

So, even If the opening bid on the Alex Rodriguez 500th home run ball is $25,000.00, it may not be truly available to any buyer until it surpasses the $50,000 (or whatever the reserve amount is) mark. It that fair? Yes. Why? Because if that's the minimum the seller will take for it, then if anyone wants to buy it, they'll have to pay it. Period. The lower "opening bid" is just to attract a few major bidders with a low enticement, so to speak. Personally, I think they should start the ball at the reserve, and be done with the games these auction houses play.

Put it on the table with a price, and let it happen.

Hope that helps.

Buster

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

Not sure how they determine the reserve, if the auctioneers have a set percentage from the minimum bid to the reserve bid. There is one item with a minimum bid of $10K and has a current bid of $34529 and has not hit the reserve. I figure the factor is less than 3.4 since this item has a higher minimum bid so you could be right. If all the minbid to reserve ratios are proportional that means at least a $78469 to hit the reserve.
                        opps. at least $85K IF all ratios are proportional. $25K times 3.4 is $85K. And the factor could be even larger since the reserve wasnt meet yet for the $10K minimum bid item.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Joel,

Minimum bids are usually set solely by the auction house. On some major items, that "amount" is most likely discussed with the consigner prior to the start of the auction.

But very simply, any reserve amount is set by the consigner, period. If the auction house had any issue with that, they might try to talk the seller (consigner) down a bit on the reserve, but make no mistake, it's the seller's call. If the auction house just flat out refuses to go along with it (which I can't believe happens very often at all), the seller simply can take his "goods" to another auction house that will "honor" that desired reserve.

So, even If the opening bid on the Alex Rodriguez 500th home run ball is $25,000.00, it may not be truly available to any buyer until it surpasses the $50,000 (or whatever the reserve amount is) mark. It that fair? Yes. Why? Because if that's the minimum the seller will take for it, then if anyone wants to buy it, they'll have to pay it. Period. The lower "opening bid" is just to attract a few major bidders with a low enticement, so to speak. Personally, I think they should start the ball at the reserve, and be done with the games these auction houses play.

Hope that helps.

Buster
                          Buster,

your reasoning make more sense than my thoughts on minimum bid-reserve ratios.

interesting enough, the auction will go over the $10K mark for commission on the next bid.
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Personally, I think they should start the ball at the reserve, and be done with the games these auction houses play.

Hope that helps.

Buster
                            Buster,

I would agree. Why risk allienating your best customers who are bidding for this item. If it does not sell, you have wasted everyone's time.
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

after looking at other auction bid in progress, the ratio of minimum bid to reserve are not proportional for all items.

I noticed two items with minimum bids of $10K with current bids of $21,430 each. One item has met the reserve and one item has not met the reserve.

I like Buster's simple explanation of reserves. Do not think there is a formula for determining the minimum bid if you know the reserve. The minimum bid is as low as the auction house can convince the seller to go and each seller is different.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                                • Nov 2005

For all you 500th HR club collectors, there are three days left on the auction for Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR baseball and its at $48,721.

http://www.scpauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=552
                                Wow guys, thanks for pointing out the "Reserve Not Met". I didn't notice it before.

Also, if I am reading the rules properly, the 8 bids don't have to be 8 different distinct bidders. Do you agree?

Current Bidding (Reserve Not Met)
                                Minimum Bid: $25,000
                                Current Bid: $48,721
                                Number of Bids: 8

-
                                Regards,
                                Andrew Lang
                                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                                202-716-8500

Comment

Working...