• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Re: ARod's 500th HR ball going to Auction

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
    Joel,

Andrew has a way of making things "come to life".

I'll guess..........$85,000-100,000+ for that home run ball. Remember, he plays in New York for the Bronx Bombers. It's the single most desireable milestone homerun ball of the "500" home run club hitters, their 500th.

The only downside(s) to this offering is the steroid connection, and the economy. Otherwise, the skies the limit on this one.
    Steve - Funny you say $85,000 because I know that is going to be your Max bid on it!

A great piece of history!

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Comment

• indyred
      • May 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
      as reference, here is what was authenticated on that day.

seems like everything was tagged except for jockstrap and shower shoes. two sets of bases but no homeplate.

BB566960 actual baseball
      BB566961 locker tag
      BB566962 1st base (1st set)
      BB566963 2nd base (1st set)
      BB566964 3rd base (1st set)
      BB566965 baseball
      BB566966 baseball
      BB566967 baseball
      BB566968 baseball
      BB566969 baseball
      BB566970 baseball
      BB566971 baseball
      BB566972 baseball
      BB566973 baseball
      BB566974 baseball
      BB566975 jersey
      BB566976 acutal bat
      BB566977 cap
      BB566978 sunglasses
      BB566979 batting helmet
      BB566980 elbow pad (benik)
      BB566981 right cleat
      BB566982 left cleat
      BB566983 right hand batting glove
      BB566984 left hand batting glove
      BB566985 belt
      BB566986 pants
      BB566987 1st base (second set)
      BB566988 2nd base (second set)
      BB566989 3rd base (second set)
      BB566990 dirt from pitchers mound
      have the actual bat, jersey or helmet been sold he was using from this game or been seen for sale? If so what kind of price did they get.

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by indyred
        have the actual bat, jersey or helmet been sold he was using from this game or been seen for sale? If so what kind of price did they get.
        The main items bat, jersey and helmet have never gone up for sale. ARod still has them. Unsigned bases ($2000) and baseballs ($800) were sold by Steiner. MVP sold one signed game used baseball at around sold for $2500 and Sotheby sold one signed game used baseball at around $3800. Steiner had his chair for $3500 and were going to sell it to for 20% off for messing up a transaction for the base I ordered but passed.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
          • Dec 2008

At the time A-Rod hit the home run, I was involved in discussions with Scot Monette of ASI/ESM of a possible purchase of the jersey. He asked me what I thought the jersey was worth. I told him $20,000-$30,000, maybe? He told me the bat was already sold for $50,000, seemed discusted with me, and we soon ended the conversation.

He was always such a punk, smug dunghole. I'm glad I never pursued it. He was looking for an offer of $75,000.

Personally, I don't think any of the steroid guys are worth that kind of cash......but there's just something about that 500 home run baseball....

Comment

• joelsabi
            • Aug 2005

At the time A-Rod hit the home run, I was involved in discussions with Scot Monette of ASI/ESM of a possible purchase of the jersey. He asked me what I thought the jersey was worth. I told him $20,000-$30,000, maybe? He told me the bat was already sold for $50,000, seemed discusted with me, and we soon ended the conversation.

He was always such a punk, smug dunghole. I'm glad I never pursued it. He was looking for an offer of $75,000.

Personally, I don't think any of the steroid guys are worth that kind of cash......but there's just something about that 500 home run baseball....
            Steve,

Sorry that the negotiation went south. I have no clue how negotiation work at the very high end: face to face, phone, emails, etc. I would think sellers would be very respectful to potential high end buyers and repeat business. It’s just good business. Maybe you or another member can share an example in successfully negotiating a private deal at the super high end level.

Just a hypothetical since this price range is way over my pay scale. Supposedly, the Gretzky Honus Wagner T206 sold to a private collector for $2 million. Does that sway me to buy the next best T206 for a higher relative price as a reaction to this supposed sale? No. I have no way to verify the sale price or that the transaction even occurred. Same with the Arod 500th bat as it was allegedly sold. If Scot told me that the bat sold for $50,000 would I adjust my estimate price of the jersey accordingly? No. First, I would need some proof like a purchase receipt for the bat. If you are a serious high end buyer I would think asking for record of purchase is a reasonable request. Is this a request that is granted at this level? It’s done with real estate, where realized price of surrounding properties are used to determine a starting point for negotiating a sale price of your property.

I don’t know if you are soured completely in the pursuit, but if not, I would also look into talking to other ARod dealers like Kevin and Mario to verify what Scot said as to availability of the bat and the sold price. Maybe it’s just me but I am just weary when someone mentions a private realized price. That's what is so interesting to me about this upcoming auction. The outcome will be a verifiable public sale of a 500 HR club member item. We know the transaction really happened.

Last question: How did knowing the sale price of $50,000 for the bat affect your estimated price of the baseball at $85-100K? I know other factors, as you mentioned previously, have changed since talking to Scot too.
            Regards,
            Joel S.
            joelsabi @ gmail.com
            Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• d2ray13
              • Feb 2006

Fyi, his 500 bat-$50k

his full 500 uniform-$75k

....alex still has them, give him a call! maybe hell except arms and legs.....

Comment

• joelsabi
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by d2ray13
                Fyi, his 500 bat-$50k

his full 500 uniform-$75k

....alex still has them, give him a call! maybe hell except arms and legs.....
                d2ray13 (sorry i still dont know your first name),

You have to be the most connected high school senior in the hobby. More power to you. When you say full uniform are you saying pants and jersey or more than that like including stirups and belts?

Since you were a repeating customer of Elite and have sold numerous items with Elite COAs on this forum and because you have the largest ARod collection that I have heard here, you must have also asked Scot about the whereabouts of his 500 game items for your own collection.

Steve was told it had been sold privately and you were told that ARod still has it. I guess both could be true if Steve asked after you.

I was under the impression that ARod holds onto high end milestone items until he gets his price and that it's prudent for ARod dealers to only buy it from ARod at his asking price once they have secured a buyer for it with the dealer markup. This was true for other recent items like his bat that passed Mantle on the all-time HR list. Why let your money sit on a item if you can buy an item at the point of profit.

Anyways. It would be cool if someone from the forum were to own either the bat, jersey, or baseball. Hope it happens. Hope it's a west coast buyer too.
                Regards,
                Joel S.
                joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Little tidbits of auctioned 500th and 3 cases where the 500th were returned to the player.

A) Top balls sold (from 6/25/2003 http://a.espncdn.com/sportsbusiness/...5/1572871.html)

The homer Value

McGwire's 70th $3M

Aaron's 755th $650,000

Bonds' 73rd $517,500

Murray's 500th $500,000

Mantle's 500th $250,000

McGwire's 500th $250,000

Sosa's 66th $175,000

Ruth's first at Stadium $130,000

Fisk's Series shot $120,000

B) Griffey 500th

In 2004, a southern Illinois man caught Ken Griffey Jr.’s 500th home run ball at old Busch and gave it to the Cincinnati Reds’ star, no questions asked. His reward was being lavished with memorabilia plus a trip to the All-Star game.

C) Jim Thome 500th

While Stewart is passing up whatever the ball could earn at an auction house, he isn't coming away empty-handed. After the game it was announced that he would receive a number of signed pieces of memorabilia and two season tickets for the 2008 season.

In another truly altruistic move, Stewart elected to donate the two season tickets to the charity of Thome's choice. The tickets will be auctioned off during the Joyce Thome Benefit for the Children's Hospital of Illinois, an event named in honor of Thome's late mother.

"As I'm from Austin, Texas, and not from the great city of Chicago and not able to use the season tickets, I've asked to donate the season tickets to your charity for use," Stewart said. "That's the best thing I can think of to give back to the city of Chicago."

D) Frank Thomas 500th

So Thomas was pleasantly surprised when Todd Eisenlohr, a 24-year-old graphic designer from Pennock, Minn., offered him the ball. Eisenlohr, part of a group celebrating his mother’s birthday, reached across two seats to catch the ball — which, he said, might have hit his father on the head. Eisenlohr accepted an autographed jersey from Thomas, a ball and a bat in exchange.

He later said that all he really wanted was to shake Thomas’s hand, which he did after the game. Selling the ball, he said, never crossed his mind. “I don’t really care about that,” he said. “It’s only money.”
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                    • Aug 2005

For all you 500th HR club collectors, there are three days left on the auction for Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR baseball and its at $48,721.

Regards,
                    Joel S.
                    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Buster
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2010

I'll bet this ball doubles between now and the final bell. suicide-squeeze may be the closest guess so far. I really don't know, I'm not an expert, but it IS a monumental piece of history, and MLB authenticated!!

And one more thing, joelsabi, that list you posted, although very helpful, needs to be updated as it is from 2003.

One item, for sure, that disects that list was Babe Ruth's 712th home run ball. It sold in a Hunt Auction a year or so ago, and it's hammer price was $150,000.00

Add the 15% buyers premium to it, and we're talking a grand total of:

$172,500.00 Add to that shipping and insurance, and we are talking serious collectors only, thank you.

That follows Sosa's 66th and makes 8th on that list assuming no others have slipped in since 2003).

By the way, that Sosa ball? How much do you think it's worth today? $10,000? Maybe $12,000?

Maybe not.

Buster

Comment

• joelsabi
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Buster
                        I'll bet this ball doubles between now and the final bell. suicide-squeeze may be the closest guess so far. I really don't know, I'm not an expert, but it IS a monumental piece of history, and MLB authenticated!!

And one more thing, joelsabi, that list you posted, although very helpful, needs to be updated as it is from 2003.

One item, for sure, that disects that list was Babe Ruth's 712th home run ball. It sold in a Hunt Auction a year or so ago, and it's hammer price was $150,000.00

$172,500.00 Add to that shipping and insurance, and we are talking serious collectors only, thank you.

That follows Sosa's 66th and makes 8th on that list assuming no others have slipped in since 2003).

By the way, that Sosa ball? How much do you think it's worth today? $10,000? Maybe $12,000?

Maybe not.

Buster
                        i would like to call someone spending $175K a bigtime collector or bigtime,serious collector. i would hope you can be a serious collector without spending that kind of dough.

that sosa ball lost its luster once mcguire passed up mcgwuire before the season ended. mcfarlane owns all those baseballs and i know that it was part of his trifecta of single season home run baseballs. he said the singles season baseballs were more "romantic" as it took the same amount of games to reach those totals.
                        Regards,
                        Joel S.
                        joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Buster

Maybe not.

Buster
                          fyi, the 2003 list included commission.
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Buster
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2010

fyi, the 2003 list included commission.
                            Knew that, thanks Joel!! That's why I clarified the prices in my post.

Buster

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

For all you 500th HR club collectors, there are three days left on the auction for Alex Rodriguez's 500th HR baseball and its at $48,721.

http://www.scpauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=552
                              two days still left and still at the same bid amount.

i am assuming that there are 8 bidders interested in this item and that they are 500th hr collectors. If my memory serves me right you need to submit a bid prior to the initial closing period to be eligible for the extended bidding period.

when i bid with scp, i try to go in as low a bid as possible just to qualify and then throw in my maximum bid during the extended period. it does not make sence to bid more than once prior to the extended period, thus i assume at this level of collectors, the 8 bids are 8 different people.

is that what you would do?
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                                • Nov 2005

Joel,

Andrew has a way of making things "come to life".

I'll guess..........$85,000-100,000+ for that home run ball. Remember, he plays in New York for the Bronx Bombers. It's the single most desireable milestone homerun ball of the "500" home run club hitters, their 500th.

The only downside(s) to this offering is the steroid connection, and the economy. Otherwise, the skies the limit on this one.
                                Joel - Steve "Suicide_Squeeze" just called me and said that he is in the mix on bidding on the ball.

I laughed and told him that I could see him staying in until it gets to $85,000 so he hits his estimate and he promised me that wouldn't be the case.

Hope he wins it!!!!!!!!!
                                Regards,
                                Andrew Lang
                                AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                                202-716-8500

Comment

Working...