Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sanchez $20,000 jersey buyer is looking smarter by the week...

Don't look now, but Mark Sanchez is one game away from the Super Bowl.

I'd say his overpriced 1st ever worn Jets jersey just jumped in value about $5,000 with todays Chargers shellacking.

Next up, he gets a solid chance to become the next New York sports "Legend" as he faces the one and only Peyton Manning & co.

If.....he gets past that one and gets to the Super Bowl, win or lose, the jersey was a nice pick up even at $20,000.

IF Sanchez WINS the Super Bowl, maybe not so much of a stretch at this point the way that defense is playing, the happy owner of that jersey essentially walks away with a bargain.

Can't wait until next weekend to see how he handles this kind of pressure at such a young age. I think it's safe to say Pete Carroll was wrong about his readyness for the NFL.

Re: Sanchez $20,000 jersey buyer is looking smarter by the week...

Sure, it's a nice pick-up if he wins the Super Bowl.

But 20K? Still way too steep.

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Sure, it's a nice pick-up if he wins the Super Bowl.

But 20K? Still way too steep.
    I agree. That is still to much money

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

I'd say his overpriced 1st ever worn Jets jersey just jumped in value about $5,000 with todays Chargers shellacking.

Next up, he gets a solid chance to become the next New York sports "Legend" as he faces the one and only Peyton Manning & co.

If.....he gets past that one and gets to the Super Bowl, win or lose, the jersey was a nice pick up even at $20,000.

IF Sanchez WINS the Super Bowl, maybe not so much of a stretch at this point the way that defense is playing, the happy owner of that jersey essentially walks away with a bargain.

Can't wait until next weekend to see how he handles this kind of pressure at such a young age. I think it's safe to say Pete Carroll was wrong about his readyness for the NFL.
    If I was offered that jersey today, I would think $7,500 as everyone is pumped up about the Jets.

If the Jets lose next week, it is probably a $5,000 jersey.

Again, congrats to the people that sold it. They did real well.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Who cares? Let someone pay that much for a jersey. Auctions are like that, prices usually go way more than what arm chair quarterbacks think it should....why judge? Maybe someone in Sanchez family bought the jersey and he's going to reimburse them for it? If it were me, I'd want my first ever worn jersey and I'd bid whatever it took to get it. I'm sure you all have paid way more for something than others would. It might be ridiculous to some, but its not your money so get over yourself. 30mil is too much for some to pay for a ball player but ARod makes it. Get on with life, there is way more important things to get your panties in a bunch over.

Banned

Were still talking about this... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

You are out of your mind. I don't care if the Jets beat the crap out of the Colts and win the Super Bowl, it isnt close to being worth $20,000.

1. Sanchez has had little to do with the Jets' success in the playoffs. It is their DEFENSIVE play and running game that has taken them this far (along with opposing kickers missing key field goals!). In reality, they got to the playoffs despite Sanchez, not because of Sanchez. It also helped to play two preseason games at the end of their schedule (Colts and Bengals played second teamers).

2. You'd be hard pressed in this economy to get $10K-$15K for a really nice photomatched Joe Montana, John Elway, or Dan Marino. Unlike Sanchez, those guys are all in the NFL HOF. Those guys are all greats of the game. Those guys all played for 15 years+. $20K for a rookie who played a very mediocre season is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman13 View Post
    2. You'd be hard pressed in this economy to get $10K-$15K for a really nice photomatched Joe Montana, John Elway, or Dan Marino. Unlike Sanchez, those guys are all in the NFL HOF. Those guys are all greats of the game. Those guys all played for 15 years+. $20K for a rookie who played a very mediocre season is ridiculous.
    Good points!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

This was his first game jersey correct? If thats the case who knows what it could be worth, especially down the road. If it were just a regular game worn jersey I would agree it's a crazy price...but this is a one of a kind that really has no price to compare. Nobody really knows right now what its potential worth is. There can never be another first.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman13 View Post
    You are out of your mind. I don't care if the Jets beat the crap out of the Colts and win the Super Bowl, it isnt close to being worth $20,000.

1. Sanchez has had little to do with the Jets' success in the playoffs. It is their DEFENSIVE play and running game that has taken them this far (along with opposing kickers missing key field goals!). In reality, they got to the playoffs despite Sanchez, not because of Sanchez. It also helped to play two preseason games at the end of their schedule (Colts and Bengals played second teamers).

Nah....not out of my mind. You're absolutely right.

All of you are.

I've been poking fun at this whole situation just because it gets the football guys dander up.....kind of like cat-nip makes a feline crazy. But to be honest, that's the fun part of collecting. You just never know when a certain piece may get a collector all worked up. The next thing you know, it sells for a rediculous amount.

Aaron, I totally agree with you too. Maybe it was Mark's father who purchased the jersey? That makes more sense than any other theory I can think of. If he can afford to send his kid to school at USC, then dropping 20K on his first ever pro jersey probably doesn't even put a dent in the family bank account. Even if Mark had a full scholarship, I'm sure his family would want that jersey more than anyone else, but who knows.

Andrew, $7,500 even seems high to me, because I just have to tell you....I don't see any chance in hell the Jets win the Super Bowl. Manning will have a lot to say about that next week, I'm sure.

But that's why I collect baseball. There is more history to it, and a much larger following.