Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

pujols game used bat

Can anyone offer any opinions on this pujols gamer listed on hollywood collectibles website? I am looking for a pujols, but want to ensure I buy a legit piece. I've heard Rich is a stand up guy but have never dealt with him personally. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
    http://www.hollywoodcollectibles.com...i-p-11821.html

Re: pujols game used bat

I saw that bat around the holidays and something seemed off - even though it is the right model.
    I contacted Jeff at Bird Bats and he pointed out the huge difference in the look and pattern of the pine tar on that bat. On that bat it is caked-on, black colored pine tar on the entire handle versus the thinner coat of reddish color pine tar pattern he typically has - he had various pics on the exact bat to show the difference.
    Bottom line - bat was used by someone else

Ben

Just look at the pine tar on these three 2009 game-used bats. Note the color of the tar and where it is. Should be all you need to know.

that was my original opinion as well....just wanted someone to conclude that as well. Thanks!!!

This is a dilemma that I have been faced with MANY times over the years – and it doesn’t matter what the product is: autographs, bats, jerseys – ANYTHING…

When you have a dealer who is considered by many to be trustworthy and honest – and something like this comes up, what do you do? Email the seller? Tell nobody? It just seems that every time I decide to email the seller or post something in the forum about something that is less than perfect, I get a nasty email from the seller telling me that I don’t know s*it – and that I am setting myself up for litigation, etc. It happened a few times with guys that are lauded in this forum for being great sellers.

I would seriously be interested in what Rich himself has to say about this bat after being presented with this ‘evidence’. He obviously thinks highly of this item or the price would be lower. Do you think he will simply ‘pull the product’ and thank us for pointing out that the bat is not what it seems? If he’s the guy he claims to be in his catalogs, he most certainly will change the description of the item –or a least take it down to have it examined by an expert. By expert, I mean the person who has shown us photographic proof in this thread. There is only one ‘expert’ when it comes to Pujols game used bats, and knowing Jeff (Hi Jeff) – it’s doubtful he’d even call himself an expert.

Just sayin’.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I appreciate all the input....there is one last pujols gamer I wanted opinions on. It looks legit, but looks can always be decieving when it comes to pujols bats.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I do not challenge the assertion or the conclusion, I would just caution to avoid putting 100% faith in any picture. Be aware that image quality, specifically white balance, lighting, saturation, contrast, brightness, color tone/temperature, etc, can all slightly affect the perceived colors in a photograph.

To that point, I'd illustrate that the bat in the middle, the color of the barrel labeling, (name & model) appears to be a darker more redder/copper shade than the top or bottom bat. Even the silver paint pen has a different appearance. My point being that this could indicate a difference in camera settings, lighting, etc.

I caution that personal inspection or a photo using a different camera in different lighting could yield a different opinion on the color and thickness of the pinetar.

I have seen pictures of bats on ebay, where the red channel is highlighted to give a blonde bat a pink appearance to draw more interest as a mother's day bat.

Anyhow, I do not have any personal conclusions on the validity of these bats, I just know a little about photography and I cannot rule out the color differences being caused by variable camera settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Just look at the pine tar on these three 2009 game-used bats. Note the color of the tar and where it is. Should be all you need to know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

I would seriously be interested in what Rich himself has to say about this bat after being presented with this ‘evidence’. He obviously thinks highly of this item or the price would be lower. Do you think he will simply ‘pull the product’ and thank us for pointing out that the bat is not what it seems? If he’s the guy he claims to be in his catalogs, he most certainly will change the description of the item –or a least take it down to have it examined by an expert.
    I contacted Rich... now remember all I did was trade emails, so not sure who I was talking to... but the response I got was the price is a good price and it was a bat used by Pujols...

I guess they thought I was trying to cheat them
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by shoremen44 View Post
    I contacted Rich... now remember all I did was trade emails, so not sure who I was talking to... but the response I got was the price is a good price and it was a bat used by Pujols...

I guess they thought I was trying to cheat them
    Thanks Bert.

This is pretty much what I thought would happen. Even if confronted with the best info, many sellers will deny until the item is finally sold to someone. Did anyone find any info on the bat other than the photo? The description is an ad for Hollywood Collectibles - but not much else on the $2500 bat they are selling.

I have no doubt that someone from Hollywood checks this board a few times a day. Rich is a good guy by all accounts, I'd just expect more info from a guy of his stature in the business. I'm also not saying it's a bad bat...I just expect more infor for that much money.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Thanks Bert.

This is pretty much what I thought would happen. Even if confronted with the best info, many sellers will deny until the item is finally sold to someone. Did anyone find any info on the bat other than the photo? The description is an ad for Hollywood Collectibles - but not much else on the $2500 bat they are selling.

I have no doubt that someone from Hollywood checks this board a few times a day. Rich is a good guy by all accounts, I'd just expect more info from a guy of his stature in the business. I'm also not saying it's a bad bat...I just expect more infor for that much money.
    Rich has really fast response everytime i have tried to contact him. I have bought several times from him. he can be reached at altman@hollywoodcollectibles.com
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.