Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: OT: Smoking and Stadiums

We have this term in St. Louis - and for those of you in Indiana...it's not the same meaning. It's HOOSIER. Hoosier is a term that most St. Louisans use for people that in other cities are called hillbillies.

When they announce "last call", they have 4 full beers in front of them. After the game, they ride the Metrolink shirtless and curse in front of families...Frik - I am not marginalizing anyone. Your query has made me think about why stadiums started banning things like smoking in the seats.
    Brief thread hijack...

bigtruck260 speaks the truth. I've lived just east of STL for 10 years now and it's hoosier freakin' central. I assumed we were moving to the bottom of the midwest, but it's more like the top of the south.
    I've ridden the Metrolink after a Blues game and it's littered with piss tanks who are in severe need of a beat down.

Only place I've lived where a $400K house is only a 3-wood away from a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Just ask Keith!
    Thank you all for the responses. About players' tobacco use, I was struck by the irony of an announcement at Safeco last year that tobacco use was prohibited. Yet, ballplayers seem to be free as they will to either chew or smoke in the dugout/bullpen. Anybody else find this troublesome?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

ive read that many current phillies players are huge dippers and tobacco smokers. its kinda of a throwback thing. good luck with the paper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    ive read that many current phillies players are huge dippers and tobacco smokers. its kinda of a throwback thing. good luck with the paper.
    Very unique picture

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. About players' tobacco use, I was struck by the irony of an announcement at Safeco last year that tobacco use was prohibited. Yet, ballplayers seem to be free as they will to either chew or smoke in the dugout/bullpen. Anybody else find this troublesome?

Les,

That was back in the 70 and 80's. Rules were lax then. Hernandez said he had to smoke in the tunnels at Shea during the 86 series because the commissioner didn't want him shown on national TV smoking in the dugout.

I believe the rules are much stricter nowadays and the rules which apply to the public banning now apply to the clubhouse and dugouts.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I would love to see pics. Were cigarette pack pockets commonplace at one time for MLB uniforms?
    Here's a couple of past auctions of Earl Weaver jerseys with the sewn in pocket for cigs

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...Desc=0&period=

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...Desc=0&period=
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tons of players chew tobacco and when the Mes one the division Most of the team smoked cigars. There's a picture of David Wright holding a Champs sign and smoking a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Manram View Post
    Very unique picture
    Jason Werth victory cigar as divisional champs.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I remember my many trips to Riverfront in the early to mid 70's when I was a kid and I always associated cigarette smoke with the ballpark. I'm sure that it was legal to do it....

One Bengals game..a COLD Bengals game...my father had two full cups of beer spilled on him. The drunken fools didn't even apologize.