Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Hunt Auctions - Payton Professional Model Jersey

There might be some logical explanations for those issues. They are good points but I'm not sure if they definitely mean the jersey isn't real.

And, see, this is where I have a problem with the use of "Professional Model".

Clearly this is not a Game Used Payton, but the description sure wants you to think it is with the statements of use, and provenance from a team affiliated company.....

Like I said in another thread. I have a 'professional model' that is an 'NFL Auctions Authentic', and I have another 'professional model' from there that was clearly a game worn jersey.

A jersey of this potential (if it were game used) should have intimate details about it - not just described as a professional model.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    And, see, this is where I have a problem with the use of "Professional Model".

Clearly this is not a Game Used Payton, but the description sure wants you to think it is with the statements of use, and provenance from a team affiliated company.....

Like I said in another thread. I have a 'professional model' that is an 'NFL Auctions Authentic', and I have another 'professional model' from there that was clearly a game worn jersey.

A jersey of this potential (if it were game used) should have intimate details about it - not just described as a professional model.

I was wondering about the wording myself. This jersey is probably going to go for $4-6K. And the listing is very unclear.

Banned

No where in the listing does it say it's game used. Very unclear, all it mentions is "evident....light-usage." For a high ticket item(and one of their main featured items) causes me to question this Auction House's consistency.

UPDATE:

Here is the e-mail that I just received from Hunt:

Hi Gene and Matt,

First I would like to thank you for your interest in the Super Bowl auction
    and Matt I appreciate you taking the time to send us some detail backing up
    the elements that you questioned about the Payton jersey. Also, please note
    that this piece comes from reputable source as noted in the catalog description.

I spent sometime going over the Getty images that are available for the
    Chicago Bears. After looking at many images mostly from 1985-1987 I am
    comfortable with the "GSH" font on other road jerseys of other players. The
    font on the home jerseys does look a bit different. I did find a photo image
    #53316822 that shows orange behind the letters W and N on the nameplate.

The positioning of the numbers on other jerseys is similar to the
    positioning of the 34 on the offered Payton. I looked at every player with a
    "Y" in his name from the 1985 and 1987 rosters where images were available
    on Getty and indeed I did not see a "Y" that matches the font on the offered
    Payton.

While researching other Payton jerseys that have been sold I did discover
    that they were mostly size 44 while the Payton we are offering is a 48. I
    did discover some anomalies in the sizing. While we do not believe the
    jersey to be fake given the proper tagging and pro model quality we are
    unsure as to the exact nature of the piece. After evaluating the
    information especially the size discrepancy we have decided to remove the
    jersey from the Super Bowl auction.

Hunt Auctions Inc.
    256 Welsh Pool Rd
    Exton, Pa 19341
    (P)610-524-0822
    (F)610-524-0826

That is a very stand-up thing for them to do. That says alot about their company and their ethics. It is great to know that there are still auction houses in the industry that take the time to listen and consider others opinions, not to mention communicate with the public in a sound and professional manner.

They did the right thing....

Glad I mentioned it to you and things worked out. They seem to have a very good reputation and the communication sometimes it takes a day or two. And you are right it is nice to know that they would pull a piece they might have fetched a premium price.
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

This is extremely refreshing. I have gone down the same road with Barry Sanders Jerseys. One of our favorite auction houses has banned me, perminantly I guess, for suggesting their Sanders was no good. Another house, with a very good reputation here, recently sold a 1992 Sanders home after I told them it was no good. Once again Barry Sanders wore 1 home jersey in 1992 and i own it. Its a very strange jersey with crooked numbers and tears which show up week after week. I have EVERY game on dvd and have about 100 images. Many of these I shot myself.
    Yet I have seen this jersey sell approximately 25 times by just about everyone from a to z. They sold game model duplicates through Anaconda sports in SCD.
    Be VERY careful about buying game worn jerseys. Always do your homework and get a photo match if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrules01 View Post
    Glad I mentioned it to you and things worked out. They seem to have a very good reputation and the communication sometimes it takes a day or two. And you are right it is nice to know that they would pull a piece they might have fetched a premium price.

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    I could have sworn that Matt said he copied his first post and sent it to Hunt when you 'suggested' it the first time. He covered his bases before he posted.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I could have sworn that Matt said he copied his first post and sent it to Hunt when you 'suggested' it the first time. He covered his bases before he posted.

Yeah, I was a little confused by DC's post. I e-mailed Hunt with the info that I found first, then took a copy of that e-mail and tossed it up here.

No pun intended here....