Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hunt Auctions - Payton Professional Model Jersey

I am having some problems with this Payton jersey and was looking to get some insight from the vintage experts and maybe, verify my thoughts on this piece.

I rolled around on Getty and came up with a couple of photo's from various dates in the 80's to give a general idea of my concerns. The offered Payton is represented as a Mid 80's so I tried to include as many examples of Payton from the '80's as possible. I also highlighted some key points that I wanted to make in the images that I provided. Here are the things that I am concerned about:

NAMEPLATE: Comparing the offered Payton to random Getty images I immediately noticed the way the letters in the nameplate aligned with the numbers. It appears that the 'N' in the nameplate should line up with the long leg of the #4 (or be inside of that leg). The offered jersey has the 'N' on the outside of that leg on the #4.

FONT: The letter 'Y' in the Getty images appears to be a different font/style than the 'Y' that is on the offered Payton. Also the 'GSH' memorial letters also appear to be in a different font.

SPACING: The spacing between the letter 'Y' seems to be smaller/tighter to the other letters on the offered jersey, whereas, on the Getty images the spacing between the 'Y' is greater between itself and the surrounding letters. Also, there seems to be more space between the nameplate and the '34' on the back of the jersey. On the offered jersey it appears that the nameplate is much closer.

NUMBERS ON THE SLEEVE: The offered Payton shows that the number '34' that is affixed to the sleeve is placed very close to the top pin stripe and the seam in the shoulder. The provided Getty images indicate that there was more spacing between the number '34' and the top pin stripe and the shoulder seam.

If you would take a look at the provided images and submit a response as to your thoughts and opinions, I would appreciate it.

Below are the provided images.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Re: Hunt Auctions - Payton Professional Model Jersey

Also, the lettering of the Hunt jersey is strange. The red (shadow) is solid behind the black letters. I've never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by BULBUS View Post
    Also, the lettering of the Hunt jersey is strange. The red (shadow) is solid behind the black letters. I've never seen that before.
    You beat me to it I was just going to post that the orange around the nameplate letters doesn't match up at all with the Getty images.
    Clearly the 'N' at the end has a "block" orange around the entire letter 'N', where the Getty images, the orange is just slightly outlining the letter.

Thanks so much for posting as great points on the flaws. I saw this jersey last weekend and thought it was too good to be true

Great points guys. Indeed the lettering is incorrect.

Another thing that I noticed is the size. Payton never wore a 48.

And, what about the 'light evident usage wear' the description states it has. They sure do leave that open ended for interpretation. It doesn't say that Joe Scooter spilled some coffee on the front tail and there is a cigarette burn on the chest. All it says is 'light evident usage wear' without any details as to the 'use'. Maybe for a reason?.....

Payton's jerseys never showed 'light evident usage wear', they were clobbered with use. A white Payton gamer would show alot more than 'light evident usage wear'....no?! Just look at some of the pics from Getty.

For a jersey that is estimated to be worth $4000-$5000, I would think that Hunt would take the time to research the jersey as well as make that listing as detailed as possible. And again, for that amount, one would think that Hunt is implying that this is a Game Worn jersey. Lord knows an authentic retail couldn't command that type of price.....even it it were signed. A salesman's sample jersey would be valued at less than a grand. So I wonder what the scoop is?

Speaking of 'the scoop', what is the provenance they refer to from the 'team affiliated company'? Wouldn't you think the name of that company would be valued by a potential bidder? I sure as hell would want to know the name of the company if I was coughing up that amount of cash.

Now, not only am I questioning the authenticity of this jersey, I am also beginning to question the reasons behind the high estimated price and the extremely 'vague' description....

Hhmmmm.........this all sounds very familiar.

It's like I've had this same conversation with someone before.......
    deja vu, maybe?

Contact Hunt they are very good about taking items down that are not what they are represented to be.Express your concerns I usually deal with Daisy here is her email address daisy@huntauctions.com
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Quote Originally Posted by dcrules01 View Post
    Contact Hunt they are very good about taking items down that are not what they are represented to be.Express your concerns I usually deal with Daisy here is her email address daisy@huntauctions.com
    Thanks boss. I sent a copy of my original post in an e-mail prior to the discussion. I am awaiting a response and I will be sure to post any information that is relevant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcrules01 View Post

I'd seriously doubt Hunt will take one of their featured items down because of what a few guys on here say. LOL

They ended 25 lots of some vintage baseball items about 3 months that were at a pretty penny when they ended them. They are an honest auction house. It is no loss to them the items are consigned.
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

the numbers on the sleeves appear smaller as do the sleeves seem shorter.