Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What sparked your game used interest?

I am new to these boards, so this may be a topic that comes up often.

In any event, my brother in law gave me this as a gift a few years ago:

It is a 1966 Matty Alou gamer. This is what started my collection.

He received it from Matty himself (he is a big Pirates fan) and it was the same day he got an auto'd Koufax ball. So with some quick deduction, it had to be from 1966 - Alou was the NL Batting champ that year. I was hooked, although it has only been recently that game used items have surpassed cardboard in terms of personal hobby goals.

OT - The weight of this bat is fairly substantial (36 oz) for a player with Alou's stature.

So what did it for you guys?

Thanks
    looking for Phillies GU bats

Re: What sparked your game used interest?

I started collecting 'Game Worn' cards. I was absolutely mesmerized by the multi-colored swatches, and the limited editions. I always shot for jersey cards that were #/25 or less.

Seeing as those cards were rare and what not, I started thinking about how cool would it be to own the whole jersey that these cards are made from. I started moving away from the cards and collecting cleats, and gloves since they were more affordable at the time, but ultimately wanted the sought after jersey.

After I had managed a big enough collection of high dollar jersey/auto cards, I sold most of them off to get my first game worn jersey. Ever since I laid my hands on it I was hooked.

Funny to say it, but GUU is what got my intrest sparked. I found a jersey on ebay and bought it. The seller thought maybe it was used. I wanted to look and see and came across this board. I then bought another jersey, thought it could possibly be game worn and it wasn't. Then I bought my first one from a reputible seller and then I was toast! Done! Officially obsessed! Thanks GUU, I now have a disease!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    ......I now have a disease!

Its like CRACK! I just can't say NO!

Smile Re: What sparked your game used interest?

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    Its like CRACK! I just can't say NO!
    I can certainly appreciate that!
    looking for Phillies GU bats

I started collecting because women really dig guys with pot bellies who wear dirty shirts..........

Honestly, my wife likes my collection so maybe my above comment isn't as silly as it sounds.

I got into the game because I have always liked the look of jerseys and after one too many chinese knockoffs off of eBay, I figured the only way to get "authentic" was to get the realest version. Tada! Game Worn
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

A buddy of mine did some yard work for Bernard Gilkey and asked me if I wanted an autograph. At first, I said no - but got to looking on eBay and found a 'game bat'. It had ball marks, tar, etc.

My buddy said he smiled when he saw it. It was one of his earlier bats....

I thought that was cool, it looked cool - and I have been hooked ever since.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

It was 1969. I was introduced to players and staff members of the Philadelphia Eagles inside the locker-room at Franklin Field. How do I know it was 1969? All of the Eagles jerseys had the NFL 50th Anniversary patches on their jerseys.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

negativity of baseball cards in 1994-1995. the parallel cards (gold version, artist proofs. silver version, etc.), the inserts, the continuous need to update the player checklist with new offering monthly, the outrageous prices, the inflexible card show dealers, the gas needed to go to cardshows (pre-ebay).

the spark: the ads in the sports collectors digesst for game used items of roberto clemente , dale murphy, ken griffey, and alex rodrigeuz for sale or on auction and thinking this would be an alternative.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

I'd love to answer this, but my memory is a little hazy when it comes to events that happened during the Revolutionary War.

Dave M.
    Chicago area