Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: OT - Case study on FanFests

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    I'm just going to say right now, A's fanfest is probably one of the best, although I may be a bit biased because they are my home team. Prices cannot be beaten. Bats and helmets were $5 each and I don't think jerseys went over $300. Had lots of stuff. Just have to get in line early..... Can't wait for it this year. I'm assuming it's in April like last year, but still waiting on the details.
    I have to totally agree. Although they might not be the best team, they have great prices and the autographs are free which is nice

At Redsfest, all autographs are free but its a first come, first serve policy for autograph lines and the players are on a set time limit for signing. They also have kids only autographs lines.

They also started doing a Texas Hold'em Tournament that includes current/former players and local celebrities that fans can play in. Every table is guaranteed to either a current/former or a local celebrity.

And they total up everything from ticket sales and from the game used stuff that they sell and it all goes to the Reds Community Fund.
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Let me start by addressing this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I do believe the Season Ticket Holders should get a priority.
    I addressed this in another thread about FanFests (in reference to the Rockies), and I have to disagree with you Andrew. Not everyone can afford Season Tickets, but that doesn't make them any less of a fan than those that can. In fact, in a lot of cases, Season Ticket holders only buy them because they can afford them, but they wouldn't know a player from the team if they ran into them. That said, the fan that can't afford Season Tickets for their team may spend more (% wise) of their income buying Single Game tickets than a Season Ticket holder does of their income.

It's okay for the team to take my money for tickets, concessions, gear, etc - but I'm not good enough to come to the Fan Fest.

I have to agree with Jef' statement here:

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    If season ticket folks got preferential treatment, I think that would rub Joe Averagefan the wrong way.
    The Rockies use to do a 'Winter Caravan' where they would do appearances around Colorado... now they do a 'Fan'Fest at Coors Field... but ONLY for Season Ticket holders - Joe Averagefan can't buy his way in.

This year's was held today and I was fortunate enough to get in because a friend who is a Season Ticket holder couldn't go, so he sent me his tickets. According to what he told me and what I found out, they sold Admission Tickets, Q&A Session Tickets and Autograph Tickets. They also had a FREE Auto area where some prominent Minor Leaguers in the Rox system signed.

The set up was actually quite clever in it's simplicity - and in avoiding certain tickets selling out, crowding, etc. There were only so many tickets for each time frame / location (i.e. 11:30 Auto Session in Suite 53, 11:30 Auto Session in Suite 55, etc) and each Ticket got you ONE Auto. The cleverness came in the fact that you did not know who was signing at any one place or anyone time, so the entire process of buying Auto tickets was a lotto.

My friend had bought 2 each for the 11:30 in Suite 53 and the 12:30 in the Mountain Ranch Club. 11:30 was Jeff Francis, but I scored on the 12:30 - Todd Helton. The Rox had some extra tickets that didn't seel for some sessions that they were walking around handing out.

I ended up with 2 Helton's, 2 Francis', 2 each of the 8 Minor Leaguers (Parker Frazier, Darrin Holcomb, Joshua Sullivan, Casey Weathers, Chris Nelson, Chaz Roe, Greg Reynolds and ? Pacheco) as well as both the Monfort brothers (The Rox Owners) and Chris Iannetta.

Over a great day - I just wish they would do something more 'fan friendly' for the 'Joe Average' fans.

All the best -

Chris

For me I like a fanfest where I can get autographs of the players I want. For the big names, I wish that teams like the Cubs would stop using a lottery system and/or free autos with really long lines and instead just charge autograph fees like the Cardinals. The money is going to charity anyways.

I just have to say first that i have no problem them charging for autographs.And i don't even have a problem with them keeping that money themselves.And i think it's actually better that they charge and charge a good price.As that means only the real collectors and fans will be in line.I mean if you charge a good price the casual fan isnt going to pay that and that means shorter lines.I know it's suppose to be about the "fans" and the "kids".But if you want shorter lines that's what you got to do.As people for free autographs will stand in line to get anybodys autograph even if they have no idea who it is.I have seen it for myself at twinsfest.And i asked if you don't know who it is,why did you stand in line,it's a free autograph.And at twinsfest i think they do thier autograph part alright.The prices are not all that spendy so that makes for big libnes and like last year some people not getting autographs they paid for instead they got a refund.And it's not really organized as its kind of all over the place.The signing tables are mixed into the floor tables.And it would be hard to get anything team signed unless you went all 3 days.And you need to go there with a plan as some of the players sign at the same time and some are down on the field and some are in the concourse area of the stadium in the press boxes.Not very personable.I would like to see that change a little.As they rush you threw the line pretty fast so you really don't get much of a chance to interact.When my brother was a paul molitor fan we used to get mollys autograph there.And my brother used to try to bring unique things for him to sign to try to spark up a conversation.And one time molitor was talking to my brother about this item (a hat that my brother wore at a previous twinsfest that molitor just loved)and molitor did not even know they made one like that for him.And so my brother hunted down another one and gave it to him.And the lady started yelling at my brother to keep the line going and molitor actually started yelling at her ,"do you mind not yelling at my #1 fan,i am trying to talk to him,everyone is going to get a autograph there is no need to be rude".And i thought that was classy.Sorry off topic a little bit there.But the only problem i have with twinsfest is the game used items.They don't sell hardly any.I read about all these "fests" and all the game used items but not the twins.They save those items for thier stores.The most game used items is just a couple of the stars and they are part of thier silent and public auctions.And they was one little rack of game used jerseys and soem bases but that was all they had.So i would love to see them sell more game items there.And the collectors part is the best as i just love looking at cards and items like that,but seems to be the same tables every year which i am sure is normal at fest's though.

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    They also have kids only autographs lines.
    That's a good idea. Are these signors for the kids Minor League prospect types or do they have some starters signing?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

last years A's fanfest/workout day was the first time they did something right before the season started. In the past they held their fanfest in late Jan/early Feb and then they did sell autograph tickets. Last year was also the only year that the game used stuff was inexpensive.

I alos have been looking for info on this years. Looking at the schudele right before the season. The Bay Bridge series against the Gnts is Thur-Sat. They don't play a game on Sunday and open at home on a Monday. I was thinking that Sun would be the ideal date to hold their Fanfest/workout event again this year. Then I looked at the calander and noticed that Sunday April 4th is Easter Sunday

Talking Re: OT - Case study on FanFests

Quote Originally Posted by dnrapp View Post
    last years A's fanfest/workout day was the first time they did something right before the season started. In the past they held their fanfest in late Jan/early Feb and then they did sell autograph tickets. Last year was also the only year that the game used stuff was inexpensive.

I alos have been looking for info on this years. Looking at the schudele right before the season. The Bay Bridge series against the Gnts is Thur-Sat. They don't play a game on Sunday and open at home on a Monday. I was thinking that Sun would be the ideal date to hold their Fanfest/workout event again this year. Then I looked at the calander and noticed that Sunday April 4th is Easter Sunday
    Hopefully the prices are the same as last years

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    I'm just going to say right now, A's fanfest is probably one of the best, although I may be a bit biased because they are my home team. Prices cannot be beaten. Bats and helmets were $5 each and I don't think jerseys went over $300. Had lots of stuff. Just have to get in line early..... Can't wait for it this year. I'm assuming it's in April like last year, but still waiting on the details.

I hate the A's fanfest. Used to be good back in the early to mid 90's. For the game used its always the same4 guys at the front of the line who buy all the crap and their friends cut in line.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    After reading about the Cardinals FanFest and how they charge for many of the autographs (goes to Charity) and the O's Fest where they limit autographs to the 1st 250 in line, I am wondering what the perfect FanFest is.

Because I work with athletes, I know they don't like signing for more than 2 hours at a clip so 250 to 500 autographs would be the max any player should sign while the demand for a Wieters (O's) is probably 2,000 which leaves a lot of people upset.

I do believe the Season Ticket Holders should get a priority.

So what are the hilights of your FanFests? What does your team do right? Is an autograph lottery better than the first 250 that get into the line?

Andrew,

Awesome topic since there are so many FanFests. I like how the money for autographs go to charity. I think all teams should do that because it helps people in need. The more popular a player, the more money could go to charity. I think teams should sell the tickets online and have a limit to one ticket per person. I dont like the first come first served because all too ofter it leads to people cutting in line.

My favorite fanfests were the Oakland A's back in the early 90's. I got in line first come first served and got one of 250 tickets to get Mark McGwire's autograph. I was one of the first 50 or so in line. I got there super early and waiting in line for 2.5 hours. I was in 7th grade at the time. Got to have Mark sign an awesome picture I bought and talked to him for a minute or so. I've also toured the clubhouse and sat in the bullpen and walk around the field. Pretty cool when you're a young teenager.

Aaron