Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT - Case study on FanFests

Rangers have first come first serve. After seeing how some of the other teams handle their fanfest i wish the rangers did it the same way. Granted we dont have the alumni that other teams do but it would still be cool to be able to pay to get as many guys as you want. Af far as the game used the prices are sky high. It sucks paying the prices but much of the higher end rangers stuff is hard to come by. As far as season ticket holders go the rangers hold a season ticket holder picknick in the spring and all the pllayers show up and sign for free. I dont exactly like to wake up early to get in line for autographs so i dont. I think the main priority for the fan fest are to get those fans they may not have another chance otherwise to get close up to the players. It seems that they do this to ensure that the fans regardless of income have chance to get on the field and tour the facilities. The rangers charity and the team store are seperate. They both sell game used but the charity generally has far better prices.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    I hate the A's fanfest. Used to be good back in the early to mid 90's. For the game used its always the same4 guys at the front of the line who buy all the crap and their friends cut in line.
    Were you there last year? The security guard wasn't about to take any crap. There were some guys that were looking in the window with their faces up against the window. Said they were like a "bunch of d*mn bi*ches" First we thought he was joking, turns out he wasn't. Ended up being one of the highlights of the day for me. Although I don't think he cared enough to stop the cutting. Last year was my second time, and this year I'm going all out. Going to get in the line that forms outside the parking lot early, and then tyry and get in line ASAP. Luckily at the ripe old age of 16 I probably can outsprint those thirty, forty somethings from the parking lot to the line.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    Were you there last year? The security guard wasn't about to take any crap. There were some guys that were looking in the window with their faces up against the window. Said they were like a "bunch of d*mn bi*ches" First we thought he was joking, turns out he wasn't. Ended up being one of the highlights of the day for me. Although I don't think he cared enough to stop the cutting. Last year was my second time, and this year I'm going all out. Going to get in the line that forms outside the parking lot early, and then tyry and get in line ASAP. Luckily at the ripe old age of 16 I probably can outsprint those thirty, forty somethings from the parking lot to the line.

No I didn't go last year. I went two years ago. Took BART was there in Oakland scared to death at 6:30am. The security guard would not open the gate from the tunnel to the A's entrance until 8am. Well, he didn't get radio confirmation until 8:15am and all the other gates were open. I'm FAST so I sprinted past everyone to see 8 people ahead of me, which turned into 8 more after they let their friends cut in. These same 4 guys, about in their 40's with nothing better to do then steal all the crap were there. They are always the first. All I wanted was a Travis Buck gamer. Thats it.

Oh, we always drive, so I haven't had the BART experience...
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    That's a good idea. Are these signors for the kids Minor League prospect types or do they have some starters signing?
    I believe that Griffey Jr. did a Kids Only signing several years ago.

Sean Casey did them as well
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Whatsupyos,

I agree with you about A's Fanfest. I am a season ticket holder and have been attending since the 1990s. And every year, the same four or five men and one woman are at the front, regardless of how early I arrive. One year, I arrived at 5:00 a.m. and they were already in line because they camped out, which the A's no longer allow. Another year, after the A's prohibited camping, one of the men was caught hiding in the Port-a-Potty in the middle of the night. Another time, one of them parked in the far corners of the Coliseum, and hid-out for the night. Other than that extreme, I always figured, "all the power to them for the willingness to get up and in line so early. The only people who annoy, actually, anger, me, are the line cutters. Remember a few years ago, there was a bearded guy with glasses who looked like he just rolled-in from skid row? He cut in line to number three or four, and then screamed at everyone that, "one person doesn't make a difference." Although we all complained, security did nothing. And when the guy got in, he proceeded to purchase many of the best jerseys. Later, I heard he was purchasing for a dealer.

The prices should be back up this year as the A's sold practically every jersey last year. They told me that the prices were low because they needed to clear out some storage space, and at the same time, give fans a break from the bad economy.

About six months ago, there was a Travis Buck from Fanfest on Ebay. It sold for about $165, which was the minimum bid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hippo916 View Post
    Whatsupyos,

I agree with you about A's Fanfest. I am a season ticket holder and have been attending since the 1990s. And every year, the same four or five men and one woman are at the front, regardless of how early I arrive. One year, I arrived at 5:00 a.m. and they were already in line because they camped out, which the A's no longer allow. Another year, after the A's prohibited camping, one of the men was caught hiding in the Port-a-Potty in the middle of the night. Another time, one of them parked in the far corners of the Coliseum, and hid-out for the night. Other than that extreme, I always figured, "all the power to them for the willingness to get up and in line so early. The only people who annoy, actually, anger, me, are the line cutters. Remember a few years ago, there was a bearded guy with glasses who looked like he just rolled-in from skid row? He cut in line to number three or four, and then screamed at everyone that, "one person doesn't make a difference." Although we all complained, security did nothing. And when the guy got in, he proceeded to purchase many of the best jerseys. Later, I heard he was purchasing for a dealer.

The prices should be back up this year as the A's sold practically every jersey last year. They told me that the prices were low because they needed to clear out some storage space, and at the same time, give fans a break from the bad economy.

About six months ago, there was a Travis Buck from Fanfest on Ebay. It sold for about $165, which was the minimum bid.
    I know what you mean. I mean there are Fans....and then there are FANS. Those FANS are hogging everything in my opinion. But I am just happy to know that I have a life and their actions can speak for themselves. HAHA, sleeping in a port a potty? WOW. Can you get any more low than that? Thats just insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    I know what you mean. I mean there are Fans....and then there are FANS. Those FANS are hogging everything in my opinion. But I am just happy to know that I have a life and their actions can speak for themselves. HAHA, sleeping in a port a potty? WOW. Can you get any more low than that? Thats just insanity.
    Yah that is pretty insane. I guess they don't have anything else better to do

Banned

The early bird problem for game-used stuff somtimes happens here, too, especially at SoxFest. A local hobbyist who writes for SCD has, at times in the past, been known to use his press credentials to gain access to the Garage Sale area before it happens, and buys a few items before the public gets let in. Not to say he clears out all the good stuff, as the Sox sell the best names at somewhat appropriate prices..but more than a few local collectors have griped about him using a press credential to beat the crowd inside. I'm not sure that this is still the case...the Sox may have put a stop to this.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Is an autograph lottery better than the first 250 that get into the line?
    Personally speaking, I dont like the idea of an autograph lottery. I say keep it the way its been going. First 250 in line get it.

Why? Because a wealthy man can sit at his home all day and buy as many lottery tickets as he wants, hoping one of them gets him a spot in line at the 2 oclock signing on saturday.

But the average joe/dedicated fan who is willing to take a day out of his life to bare the weather and driving conditions, wait 5+ hours in line just to get in the building, then wait another hour or 2 in the actual autograph line just for the 5 seconds of glory truely deserves it I think.
    Always buying David Justice items