Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Historic Auctions Has Not Still Clarified

I got lucky, I was outbid on everything.

Marcus

Banned

I won a couple of items, but haven't heard anything yet. Strange thing is that all the final bid prices were just below my high bid. When I went to sleep Thursday night, the bidding was at my initial bid. Hum! At least I didn't go too high.

Anything you'd like to mention. I went after aq few items - the Chipper Jones rookie jersey and the Mantlle HR ball, and the Eli Manning jersey, which I was ready to keep bidding on, but that letter from Eli looked funny to me. It's too easy to get an athlete to sign a piece of paper and then create an LOA like that without personal letterhead or the aythlete's charitable organization on it....I'm not accusing Historic of anything just explaining why I didn't want to take the bidding higher...

Yeah, I bid on two items. The one was a jersey that when I went to bed was going for $600. I put in a ceiling bid that wouldn't be topped of $1300. At 3am I looked and my ceiling bid was the final bid. I have a serious conspiracy theory that I don't even need to explain. I still have heard nothing from them which is strange in and of itself.

By the way, I called and talked to Whitney on Thursday. I guess I had a slightly different experience with her because she was totally nice and understanding of my concerns. Honestly, I felt very comfortable with everything, perhaps because I tried to keep from backing her into a corner with my allegations. She could not give out the name of the consigner but dropped enough hints that I am very sure I know who it is and that it is someone I respect.

To me, the only troubling thing was that the final bid was, to the penny, what I put in as my max.

[quote=gameusedfanTo me, the only troubling thing was that the final bid was, to the penny, what I put in as my max.[/quote]

I had that happen too (on one of my items but not my two other), but I called up and they explained it. If someone bids within 10% of your ceiling, the site bids it up to your ceiling. So even if you put in a weird amount (e.g. $453.21) and someone bids $450, the site bids $453.21 for you.

Makes sense to me anyway.

Did anyone get any satisfactory answers explaining the numerous questionable items that were listed in Historic Auctions? It seems there was a great deal of controversy with their last auction. Have they addressed any of these issues? I was looking to bid on a few of their listings, but was scared off because the authenticity of many items was questioned. It seemed that Eric had many things to say about them. Did they ever really address your concerns? I am really curious to hear from people who won any lots. Thanks.

Chris

jettllc

I have had the same problems with Historic Auctions responding to e-mails. I have sent them over half a dozen questions about two Jerseys they had up for auction that they did not respond to so I called them directly.

One of the questions I put forth to them was if they would allow another opinion as it pertains to the Jersey before I paid for it if in fact I was the winner of the Jersey. I mentioned a few companies that I would like to get an opinion from but they said no to all of them and then suggested ASI and Brad Wells because of his "great expertise". When I found out he had an interest in the company I called them and left a message for the person I had spoken with before and indicated I head about Mr. Wells involvement with their company and would like them to clarify but amazingly enough never received a return call.

Banned

Forum Readers:

I could not help but notice this "Griffey Rookie" jersey currently being offered:
    http://vintageauthentics.at.truition...aunbr=72020554

Not only is it the incorrect size (I don't think Griffey has worn a size 40 since high school!), the description about him having "JR." on the back is even better! Griffey did not wear Jr. on the back of his shirts with the Mariners, in 1989, 1990.....EVER!

How about the Rawlings tag? 1989 shirt with a 1990+ tag.

Regardless, rest easy as it does have a rock solid LOA!

As I always say, do your own homework and wipe your rear with the LOA's.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net