Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spring Training: Who's going?

Who's all going? I'm still putting the final touches on my first trip to Spring Training, but here are the 3 games I should be attending:

Braves vs. Tigers March 19th

Astros vs. Yankees March 20th

Braves vs. Cardinals March 21st

Anybody able to give me some tips for the Braves & Astros complex when it comes to autographs? I'm bringing a lot of poster-sized prints of each player to get autographed. This will be my first time down there so I'll need to know where the best spot is to stand to get some 'graphs.

Also, I upgraded all my camera equipment. I have a new professional lens and even a new camera. It gives the same image quality as the full-resolution images you would find on Getty & AP. It's going to come in handy when Spring Training equipment comes available, and finding Spring Training photos to find photomatches are rare. If anybody wants to request a certain player they would like pictures of, then feel free to do so! I'm going to these games to take pictures more than to watch the game.

Re: Spring Training: Who's going?

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    Who's all going? I'm still putting the final touches on my first trip to Spring Training, but here are the 3 games I should be attending:

Braves vs. Tigers March 19th

Astros vs. Yankees March 20th

Braves vs. Cardinals March 21st

Anybody able to give me some tips for the Braves & Astros complex when it comes to autographs? I'm bringing a lot of poster-sized prints of each player to get autographed. This will be my first time down there so I'll need to know where the best spot is to stand to get some 'graphs.

Also, I upgraded all my camera equipment. I have a new professional lens and even a new camera. It gives the same image quality as the full-resolution images you would find on Getty & AP. It's going to come in handy when Spring Training equipment comes available, and finding Spring Training photos to find photomatches are rare. If anybody wants to request a certain player they would like pictures of, then feel free to do so! I'm going to these games to take pictures more than to watch the game.
    Kyle, if you have some nice shots you like of the players you are trying to get autos from you should bring a few extras. Maybe the players would be willing to trade you a bat or something in exchange for a photo. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    If anybody wants to request a certain player they would like pictures of, then feel free to do so! I'm going to these games to take pictures more than to watch the game.
    Kyle -

Enjoy your 1st ST... it's a great experience! I'm still planning out my 2010 ST trip... this will be my 8th year going... but mine will be Cactus League in Arizona as the family (3 bothers and Mom) all live in Tucson and Phoenix...

I would VERY much appreciate any photos of Tony LaRussa, Pujols, Matt Holliday and Mark McGwire as the Cards are here early at Coors Field this year. If you can send me 'proofs' to choose from and prices, that would be awesome! Also, 'if' Larry Walker is there - I've heard he's mad e a few ST appearances with the Cards, I'd like one of him too.

Again - enjoy the experience!

All the best -

Chris

All my experience with the Braves and Astros' homes are from spring training of 2005 and 2006. Our experience with the Braves' complex was that the Braves are great signers, with signings mainly going on before the game at their dugout. You needed a ball to toss to them as it's not easy to get other items to the dugout. Sometimes visiting teams will sign at their dugouts as well. Occasionally, regulars like Chipper will interact with fans as they come out of the game around the 5th inning, but it's usually only briefly with kids.

However, the two Cardinal games we attended showed the Cards as very poor signers at Vero Beach, where you could walk right up to the players since there were no dugouts. ( Unfortunately, Vero Beach is no longer home to the Dodgers.) We didn't go to the Cards' home or see them play elsewhere. At Vero Beach, LaRussa simply walked right by auto-seekers without even waving or speaking, much less signing. I think his attitude affected the whole team, though 3B coach Oquendo was great with auto's and likes to talk to fans. Schumaker also signed readily, but nobody else did on the Cards even though the Dodgers signed readily.

The Astros' complex is fairly friendly to signers, around both dugouts. You can also have a crack at BP balls at a practice field near the main stadium, accessible just past the parking lot. The Astro's also sold a g-u item or two at charity auctions on the concourse and in their stadium store, though the items were from spring training. Once the game starts, the Astros are strict about staying in your seats or in the concourse ( not visible from the field), because their stadium is small.

I didn't see any g-u items for sale by the Braves. Their stadium is very fan-friendly, with a concourse similar to Turner Field where you can stand and watch the game; plus a grassy berm. They sold out three of the four games we saw. Ordering in advance is thus advisable. They're great in giving a quick credit-card refund if rained out, since spring training usually does that rather than rain-checks.

I'm heading down to my third Spring Training this year. A week away from the Canadian winter, following my beloved Blue Jays - couldn't ask for anything more!

I've got tickets for seven games:
    -Rays @ Jays
    -Jays @ Pirates
    -Orioles @ Jays
    -Tigers @ Jays
    -Jays @ Yankees
    -Jays @ Phillies
    -Yankees @ Jays

And I think we're goint to throw in a Tampa Bay Lightning game while we're down there.

I booked my trip in November, and have been (not so) patiently waiting for March to roll around ever since.

I have no doubt you'll have a great time Kyle, and I'm sure you'll come back with A TON of great photos!

-Pam

Banned

I go every year to the Yankees in Tampa. Still planning my trip this year. But should be going.

Ill be out in Glendale March 5-15th!

I'll be in Arizona Feb. 22nd through sometime in March. Haven't decided when to come back yet.
    Brian Hillerich

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BMH View Post
    I'll be in Arizona Feb. 22nd through sometime in March. Haven't decided when to come back yet.
    LUCKY!!

Finalizing a trip to check out the Angels in March.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com