Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

One item verus many which would you rather have?

I am mulling selling almost my entire collection (other than a few will never part with items) and buying one or two huge big ticket items. Right now I have 100s of items worth between $30 and $2,500 each made up of autographs and game used items. What are your folks thoughts on this? Which would you rather have?

Re: One item verus many which would you rather have?

Quality over quantity.

i'd rather just own one valuable piece, forbid you are ever in a fire or disaster at least you could haul that out.

I agree. I only have so much display space. I'd take one really good piece over 10 mediocre-ok pieces any day.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I am mulling selling almost my entire collection (other than a few will never part with items) and buying one or two huge big ticket items. Right now I have 100s of items worth between $30 and $2,500 each made up of autographs and game used items. What are your folks thoughts on this? Which would you rather have?
    Go where your passion goes. If those 100 or so items are not interesting you as much as the big ticket item, go for the big ticket item.

It depends too. As you know, its not all about the dollar value. I have $40 item that give me as much interest as a $500 item so I think it depends on what keeps you interested.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I also vote quality over quantity. As my collection has matured I have tried to sell off some of the quantity for quality but it is an ongoing process. The hard part is timing selling off your collection for the perfect big ticket item(s) because I am sure you would not want to sell off everything just to "settle" for an item of a player that is not at the top of your list. Whenever I have bought something I liked, but did not "have to have", I often have regretted it. Best of luck with your decision!

Go with smaller items. If you cash it all in for one big ticket item, it isn't really an active collection anymore. Would you then only add to your collection once or twice a year? Or maybe not even that often? I personally don't have fun collecting if I can add to my collection every now and then. It is easier to do that with lower budget items.

Chris
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

I want to tweak and combine what others are saying:

Quality of enjoyment over quantity of items. If you enjoy having a lot of items from a lot of players and few if any superstar Hall of Famers, then stay where you are. If you would rather have a couple of holy grail type items, then go for it.

I would like to have a bat from every 1985 Kansas City Royal. That would be an enjoyable quantity - and obviously George Brett is in there, so some quality as well...
    If I had a team set from 1985 would I keep that or move it to make a down payment on say a nice Ted Williams gamer... Thats up for you to decide.

I'll just say: Right now I have about 45+- bats - ranging between $30 and $250 mostly on the lower end. I'm giving a lot of thought to selling most of them to see if I can raise enough money to buy a good George Brett gamer.

Can't tell ya what I'd do with your collection, but I can just tell you that you are not alone in the quandry.

Just be advised, wives often think 40 bats at $50 each are okay, but one at $2000 is ridiculous... granted the accountant in me has to point out $2000 is $2000 regardless of quantity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

legal,

I'll hop on the quality bandwagen...however, as time passes you're bound to build on the quantity of that said quality collection...if that makes sense. Which then means, perhaps you'll have to revist this thread/concept in twenty years, god willing

If you have any Frank Thomas items to move, let me know (couldn't resist).

be well

wade

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    Go with smaller items. If you cash it all in for one big ticket item, it isn't really an active collection anymore. Would you then only add to your collection once or twice a year? Or maybe not even that often? I personally don't have fun collecting if I can add to my collection every now and then. It is easier to do that with lower budget items.

Chris
    I only add to my collection a few times a year. I will no longer add for the sake of adding. I have become very particular. But it does get to be tiring waiting and searching for a piece I am interested in. But the hunt, for me, is part of the fun! It makes it that much more exciting when I do find a piece I like enough to add.