Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A's sign Ben Sheets

The A's singed Ben Sheets. We not only get a great pitcher, but actually a veteran pitcher instead of all those 23 year olds. Not saying they are not good

Re: A's sign Ben Sheets

Personally, I think the A's have a wonderful young group of pitchers with loads of potential. Plus any pitcher is better than a pitcher that spends a significant amount of time on the DL per season. He's a high risk with a huge contract, that surprised me.

Signing Ben makes be VERY happy because if he can stay healthy Oakland can flip him.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    Personally, I think the A's have a wonderful young group of pitchers with loads of potential. Plus any pitcher is better than a pitcher that spends a significant amount of time on the DL per season. He's a high risk with a huge contract, that surprised me.
    They do have great young pitching, but some of the pitchers are young and haven't been able to pitch at the MLB level yet. Of course you have Cahill and Anderson who have great arms, and are already good. But then by signing sheets you don't have to pitch a guy like Vin Mazzaro, who went 4 and 9 with like a 5.30 era. So, as much as like the young arms they have, some of them just should not be pitching, or are not ready for the mlb level yet. Just my $0.02

Banned

Sheets spends so much time on the DL that he makes Mark Prior look healthy!

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I would assume Braden is the number one guy, but remember that they did bring back Duchscherer, baring any mental or physical problems, he too would take up a spot from a young arm. I do like the idea of trading Sheets, mid-season, if the A's aren't in contention and if he, of course, is healthy. The only drawback is that he signed for so much, and you cannot be sure what he brings after missing all of 2009.

An alternate title to this thread instead of "A's sign Ben Sheets" is "Yankees Sign Ben Sheets in July."

I would assume Braden is the number one guy, but remember that they did bring back Duchscherer, baring any mental or physical problems, he too would take up a spot from a young arm. I do like the idea of trading Sheets, mid-season, if the A's aren't in contention and if he, of course, is healthy. The only drawback is that he signed for so much, and you cannot be sure what he brings after missing all of 2009.
    I agree that they will probably trade him eventually. But are you kidding me you think Braden is there number one guy????? No way, Duchscherer is the number one guy. And who knows maybe brett anderson could be the number one guy, but no way is it braden

I cannot possibly imagine Duchscherer is their number one guy after missing all of 2009 and is till a question mark for 2010 given his mental condition. Anderson maybe, but Braden has the years and had a fantastic 2009 season.

I cannot possibly imagine Duchscherer is their number one guy after missing all of 2009 and is till a question mark for 2010 given his mental condition. Anderson maybe, but Braden has the years and had a fantastic 2009 season.
    I just don't see braden as a number one guy, guess we'' have to wait and see who the opening day pitcher is