Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Help on a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey?

I have a Penguins jersey that was supposedly worn by Janne Lukkanen (SP?). It shows used, shows nameplate and patch removal but does not have a fight strap. Seller says was bought a few years ago at a Penguins Garage Sale in Pittsburgh but shouldn't the jersey have a fight strap? Any help would be great if there are signs to look for. Also, seems to have very little as way as tagging is concerned.

Re: Help on a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey?

I would need to see pictures but here is what I can tell you.
    Janne Laukkanen played for the Pens from midway through the 1999/00 season when he was traded from the Ottawa Senators. He only played with them until 17 games into the 2002/03 season when he was traded to Tampa Bay. Look on the right breast and see of there is an NHL2000 patch or the remnants of a 3 inch long by 2 inch high patch. Also he only wore #5 so if it's a different number, it's a red flag.

The fight strap HAD to be in these shirts by NHL regulation. Turn it inside out, it may have been cut out but there should be a huge patch sewn into the back with remnants of the strap. Otherwise, it's not a jersey issued, worn or used in an NHL game. Even practice used jerseys have fight straps. They don't usually have a ton of tagging as they don't have serial tags like MeiGray shirts or year tags like baseball jerseys.

Pics will help me nail down more help but no remnants of a fight strap is more than a red flag, it's a definate NOT.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Re: Help on a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey?

Thanks! It is a number 5 and has a patch removal about that size (although for some reason I was thinking it was round but may be mistaken), haven't measured it, but will look for remnants of the fight strap removal. I will try to post pics tomorrow. Thanks again!!!