X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sox83cubs84
    Banned
    • Apr 2009

Obnoxious kid/parent stories, MLB edition

As promised, here's the thread..I'll start with one from the last game of the season several years ago at Wrigley Field.

My buddy Joe and I were among a dozen or so fans hanging behind the Pirates dugout as the Bucs left the field after their last game. Several players were tossing caps and other things into the stands, and I was, for the most part, shut out (Joe got a cap). The last guy to come in was bullpen coach Bruce Tanner. He flipped his cap over the dugout roof, and I grabbed it...only to have a kid and his father start whining that this cap was theirs. I looked and saw that the kid was already holding two caps and pointed that out to him. He and his father claimed that they had to have a thrid cap, as the kid's sister wanted one, but couldn't make the game. I just blew both of them off...surprisingly, no other fans in the immediate area were backing Father and Son Greedy here...and the father made one last attempt to verbally browbeat me into giving up my cap for this "sister". I ignored him, but the kid followed me all the way to the top of the exit before my continued refusals (and Joe coming by to tell the kid to hasta la vista) finally got rid of him. Two caps wasn't enough for these fools, they wanted mine, as well. I can see, to some extreme, the kid getting obnoxious, but what kind of father encourages his son to be so greedy and pushy?

BTW, I still have the Bruce Tanner cap...and never saw Father & Son Greedy again.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
  • LastingsMilledge85
    • May 2009

Re: Obnoxious kid/parent stories, MLB edition

This story is actually funny and the kids weren't being obnoxious a definite "had to be there" moment. Back in 2007 at Shea stadium a young kid,maybe 10 or 9 the oldest, very funny to a ball player. Joe Smith was singing autographs and the kid asked Joe if he could have his hat, and Joe said, "You want my hat?" and smiled. Joe is a very nice guy BTW, but couldn't give up his hat.

Comment

• Manram
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
      As promised, here's the thread..I'll start with one from the last game of the season several years ago at Wrigley Field.

My buddy Joe and I were among a dozen or so fans hanging behind the Pirates dugout as the Bucs left the field after their last game. Several players were tossing caps and other things into the stands, and I was, for the most part, shut out (Joe got a cap). The last guy to come in was bullpen coach Bruce Tanner. He flipped his cap over the dugout roof, and I grabbed it...only to have a kid and his father start whining that this cap was theirs. I looked and saw that the kid was already holding two caps and pointed that out to him. He and his father claimed that they had to have a thrid cap, as the kid's sister wanted one, but couldn't make the game. I just blew both of them off...surprisingly, no other fans in the immediate area were backing Father and Son Greedy here...and the father made one last attempt to verbally browbeat me into giving up my cap for this "sister". I ignored him, but the kid followed me all the way to the top of the exit before my continued refusals (and Joe coming by to tell the kid to hasta la vista) finally got rid of him. Two caps wasn't enough for these fools, they wanted mine, as well. I can see, to some extreme, the kid getting obnoxious, but what kind of father encourages his son to be so greedy and pushy?

BTW, I still have the Bruce Tanner cap...and never saw Father & Son Greedy again.

Dave M.
      Chicago area
      Thanks for the story. I have been waiting for it!

Comment

• karamaxjoe
        • Nov 2005

That story seems about right for the typical modern obnoxious father and son combo.
        Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
        ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• flota89
          • Jul 2009

Yea I know what you mean with those stories. I had a couple of those situations this year. The worst being in St. Louis for a Cards vs. Cubs game. Kevin Gregg was walking over near where a few people were near the dugout with a ball. I yelled out his name and held up my hands. He looked right at me and tossed the ball up. I caught it, and as I was looking it over i feel a finger tap me on the back. I turn around to see a guy, around 45 years old, staring at me. I ask him what he wanted and he goes "um that ball isnt yours. he threw it at me not you sir." I ask him why he thinks that and he goes "it was coming right at me and I think it's time you give it to me." I went on to explain to this man that I called out to Kevin Gregg and he was looking right at me, not to mention I was the one who actually caught the ball. Anyway, I spent the next few minutes telling this idiot why this ball isn't his, until a friend of mine finally got him to shut up and go away. Thats my story for the day
          Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
          flotaboys@hotmail.com

Comment

• jbsportstuff
            • Mar 2009

I was at a Giants/Mariners game at Pac Bell the year that the park opened. Rickey Henderson was playing outfield and caught the last out of the inning. We happened to have seats about 5 rows behind the dugout. I had a mit in my hand and I kind of flexed it open and closed a couple of times. He looked my way, pointed to the ball, and then threw it to me. I caught it and he gave me a thumbs up. WELLLLLL Mr. Father 5 rows behind me started telling me that he was throwing HIM the ball. He had a cute little girl with him. STUPIDLY I gave the kid the ball. I NEVER should have done that. I have felt like a fool ever since.

Comment

• rwoodsbats
              • Jul 2008

Around 1996-97 my father took me to spring training in Peoria to watch the Mariners. I was 14 or 15 at the time. My parents raised me to be respectful and nice to everyone. Joey Cora was signing by the M's dugout and I worked my way up to the front of the line. I was 3 people back when Joey said 3 more then I'm done. I look to my right and see a little girl about to bust out the big tears so I step back and let the little girl go. Once she gets to him the dad blocks me out and filters his 2 other kids in, I threw a nice mean mug at him and said your welcome! Joey of course signs for the kids and walks off, the dad turns around and smiles at me and says maybe next time punk. About that time the area clears out and Cora walks by and says to me "hey thanks for letting the little girl in, I'm sorry the guy was rude to you I didn't realize what was going on till I looked up again. Then asked me if I still wanted the ball signed. Of course I did! Worked out well for me and never saw the crying triplets or dad again.

Comment

• rj_lucas
                • Apr 2009

I think the obnoxious kid/parent award goes to the 34 year old father and 15 year old son who jumped out of the stands in Chicago and attacked Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field in 2002.

I'll bet those are some fun family reunions.

Rick
                rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• Manram
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by rj_lucas
                  I think the obnoxious kid/parent award goes to the 34 year old father and 15 year old son who jumped out of the stands in Chicago and attacked Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field in 2002.

I'll bet those are some fun family reunions.

Rick
                  rickjlucas@gmail.com
                  That is ridiculous

Comment

• tmpjets
                    • Jul 2008

I was at a Mariners game just this last July with my uncle, and had a loser of a guy rip some poor little girl out of a ball. My uncle and I were just beside the M's dugout 2 rows up. And as many times throughout the game there were some fly outs and players would toss them up to the fans. At one time around the the bottom of the 6th, I think it was Mike Sweeney threw one up in the stands, before the 3rd out a little girl about 8 ran down to catch the ball when the "A**hole" of a guy sitting right next to the girl jumped up and caught the ball and was like "Whoohoo!" the girl instantly started to cry. Funny thing is Sweeney didnt see any of it but Griffey saw the whole thing and said out loud to the guy..."What the F***" and waived at the guy and acted like he would sign the ball. Meanwhile the entire section was watching what was taking place, the guy very excited stood up and threw the ball to Griffey and then Jr. very sarcasticly looked at the ball then the guy and laughed at him and called the little girl over and gave her the ball and then the crowd clapped for joy as the player had to step in for a fan that was a major looser and was booed right out of the game. One more thing the guy was about 45 years old, what a chump.

Comment

• jobathenut
                      • Nov 2008

I told this story in the other thread that bread into sox83sox84 starting this thread.So i will tell it again on here.Me and my brother follow our local college hockey team and for the last 7 years we go to almost every home game and at least one away game.Anyway,we buy tickets on the street before the game so each game we sit in a different location.And a couple weeks ago vs north dekota we sat on the glass behind the penelty box.And there was a father and his 3 kids with him.Of course not wearing one thing related to the team.And seemed to be "commuted fans"(fans at a game that you wonder why are they there,must be part of there sentence to be there).Anyway,they of course got pucks from the players during warm-ups,because players always give to kids and not the two adults even thought they are wearing jerseys of thier team.And me i wear a jersey i had to get customed made as college hockey does not sell jerseys with names and numbers on them.And during the game the people in the penelty box gave 2 of the 3 kids pucks.And then the one kid kept yelling the whole 3rd period at the guys that "that the one kid did'nt get thier puck".And mind you they were never watching the game.And the game went it to overtime and the dad asked my brother what happens now. Yeah you guys are more derserving of pucks then we are.Sorry i know it's a long story.But i just can not get over how kids and parents think because they are kids they are entitled to things.But sports and the media has created that.

Comment

• jobathenut
                        • Nov 2008

tmpjets-Sorry but this is what i am upset about.Why is the little girl more entitled to the ball than the man?Why because its a little girl.Thats what i am talking about.I am tired of people thinking the kids deserve the items and not adults.I mean i have been a yankees fan since i was a little kid.But becuase i am a adult i shoul'dnt catch a ball that is throw in my direction.And i am sure the girl was a big fan,and wearing a jersey.And she could tell you the players names.Amnd was payoing attention to the game.I bet she did'nt even know the darn score of the game.KIDS DO NOT WATCH BASEBALLS GAMES.So the guy is a loser cause he did not let some little girl get a baseball.Yeah bad guy.
                        Originally posted by tmpjets
                        I was at a Mariners game just this last July with my uncle, and had a loser of a guy rip some poor little girl out of a ball. My uncle and I were just beside the M's dugout 2 rows up. And as many times throughout the game there were some fly outs and players would toss them up to the fans. At one time around the the bottom of the 6th, I think it was Mike Sweeney threw one up in the stands, before the 3rd out a little girl about 8 ran down to catch the ball when the "A**hole" of a guy sitting right next to the girl jumped up and caught the ball and was like "Whoohoo!" the girl instantly started to cry. Funny thing is Sweeney didnt see any of it but Griffey saw the whole thing and said out loud to the guy..."What the F***" and waived at the guy and acted like he would sign the ball. Meanwhile the entire section was watching what was taking place, the guy very excited stood up and threw the ball to Griffey and then Jr. very sarcasticly looked at the ball then the guy and laughed at him and called the little girl over and gave her the ball and then the crowd clapped for joy as the player had to step in for a fan that was a major looser and was booed right out of the game. One more thing the guy was about 45 years old, what a chump.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2009

I go to hockey games alot and I purchase front row seats in the row next to the tunnel to my favorite teams locker room. As a result I have interacted with alot of players and I slap hands with them as they walk by. Anyway there is a teenage girl who proceeds to run down and stand right in front of me at the end of every period and she picks up a ton of game used merchandise this way as the players hand it to her over me because she is young and female and I am a balding adult male. Meanwhile I am the one paying a couple of hundred every time I come to sit there and she comes down from the rafters somewhere so it is a bit off topic but to me just as annoying. I have mentioned it to secruity and the ushers but they say "we cannot stop people from coming down here in between periods". Although noone but her does it every period of every game.

Comment

• jobathenut
                            • Nov 2008

I feel your anger on this.As i have said on here me and my brother have the same things happen to us at every hockey game we go to.But in your case there is no way i would let the darn brat getin front of me.And if them are your season tickets as i assume they are.I would tell the team and security do something or i am giving up my tickets.Its no tfair to you that you spend that much money and some kid from the noose bleed seats gets those items.But then again it's the players who are giving them to her.And why,because she's a kid.I know for "pr" reasons they do it.But to me giving it to someone wearing a jersey trumps giving to a kid just for kids sake.
                            Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                            I go to hockey games alot and I purchase front row seats in the row next to the tunnel to my favorite teams locker room. As a result I have interacted with alot of players and I slap hands with them as they walk by. Anyway there is a teenage girl who proceeds to run down and stand right in front of me at the end of every period and she picks up a ton of game used merchandise this way as the players hand it to her over me because she is young and female and I am a balding adult male. Meanwhile I am the one paying a couple of hundred every time I come to sit there and she comes down from the rafters somewhere so it is a bit off topic but to me just as annoying. I have mentioned it to secruity and the ushers but they say "we cannot stop people from coming down here in between periods". Although noone but her does it every period of every game.

Comment

• jbsportstuff
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jobathenut
                              tmpjets-Sorry but this is what i am upset about.Why is the little girl more entitled to the ball than the man?Why because its a little girl.Thats what i am talking about.I am tired of people thinking the kids deserve the items and not adults.I mean i have been a yankees fan since i was a little kid.But becuase i am a adult i shoul'dnt catch a ball that is throw in my direction.And i am sure the girl was a big fan,and wearing a jersey.And she could tell you the players names.Amnd was payoing attention to the game.I bet she did'nt even know the darn score of the game.KIDS DO NOT WATCH BASEBALLS GAMES.So the guy is a loser cause he did not let some little girl get a baseball.Yeah bad guy.
                              In this case I can't agree at all with what you are saying. My 11 year old son and I go to several games and he is a huge fan. If someone were throwing him a ball and some adult jumped in front of him to catch it, I would be very upset. Do you have children? My son DOES watch the game, he can tell you a lot about ever player on the field. I NEVER let him get in front of other people to get autographs, but because he is so polite and kind, the players sometimes give him a ball. He puts each of these on a little shelf that I build him. I just can't agree with a middle age man(which I am) jumping in front of a person who was supposed to get the item. No way!!!

Comment

Working...