Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Obnoxious kid/parent stories, MLB edition

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    (Actually, I'm only 55, but to a snotnosed kid like that, I'm freakin' Methuselah.)
    GW -

LMFAO!!!

BTW I'm making my plans for ST soon... maybe we can try and meet up if you're around when I'm in Phoenix/Tucson?

As far as the 'what about the kids' crap, I agree with others on here that I have been going to games for over 25 years and I've gotten exactly ONE foul ball and ONE HR ball (Eric Young Jr's 1st MLB HR Sept 8, 2009). Does that mean I owe any future Foul or HR balls to the kids near me - that aren't even MY offspring? HELL NO!

The 'elitist' and 'entitled' view that our country is coming in to really ticks me off.

I'm a Disabled Vet (no external signs that would tell you as much) who served my country, love my National Pastime and love to collect. Why should I be any less 'entitled' to a ball that comes my way (NOT talking about a player pointing to or directing a ball to someone specific) than some Jack@$$e$ little rug rat?

I made the mistake ONCE at BP (I've snagged a few foul balls at BP) of giving a kid a ball after I had snagged 2 or 3. Then I saw his dad come up to him with 5 or 6 balls he had snagged. And to make it worse, I found out his dad didn't snag them, he was begging guys in the stands for 'just one ball' for his kid and the kid had gotten 2 or 3 other balls from other guys by begging for them, so father and son had almost 10 balls and did NONE of the work to retrieve them!

So my policy now is this: the ball is in my glove/hand, the ball is MINE! Don't even think about begging for it.

It just like the beggars on the street corners - having worked in downtown Denver doing Loss Prevention, I no longer feel compelled to give them anything after watching them use the money to buy drugs and booze. Hell, I went out of my way one day - on my motorcycle no less - to go buy a McDonald's meal for a guy with a sign that said something to the effect of 'Haven't eaten, need money for food' or something along those lines. When I got back with the food, the guys starts screaming at me that he doesn't want me to buy him food, he wants the MONEY! I threw the entire thing - drink, burger and fries into the storm drain, told him off and got back on my bike. As I was driving away, I saw him laying in the gutter trying to grab the bag back out of the drain.

Darwinism people!!! Survival of the fittest!!! I am not about to fight anyone over a ball, but I'm done giving in and giving up what I catch.

Just my .02!

All the best -

Chris

Wow are there a lot of these stories out there Ther are already 52 posts

okay, so im probably one of the youngest people on this forum at 16 years old, but even people give me crap about getting stuff that their kids should have. For example getting bats and having parents tell me that their kid was waiting ALL game for that bat when they definitely didn't even know it was broken... An example was second to last home game for the giants last year when i got down by the dugout. Suddenly a big guy pushed out of the way, saying his 2 4 year olds needed room to stand next to it, where they quickly got a bat. When I had tried to move back to my spot he said give to the kids for once.... That bat was probably sold on ebay directly after....
    Thanks,
    Bobby

lehmsbobby@yahoo.com

You guys are also right about kids in general being whiny and obnoxiuous, but I blame that on the parents. My take is that if I can be a gentleman (especially in front of my own kids) and do something totally out of the ordinary (like being a nice guy), MAYBE it will have an impact.

I know where you guys are coming from, but kids behave based on what they see. Most of the time, the parents are the ones encouraging them to be pests - and complain...and grow up to be self-entitled d-bags.

I think I might have a nice-guy complex. I'm not a prefect person, but I do hold the door for ladies (even when they don't say 'thanks'), I only complain about a meal at a restaurant AFTER I've eaten and had time to determine who was at fault (cook, server)...and I don't smoke in places where there are kids present and smoking is allowed (Zoo, etc.)

...and I have given kids (not my own) baseballs twice at baseball games.
    Just letting you guys know why I said what I said. I understand your point of view 100%.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    And by the way "tmpjets".When i said "you" in the example i was using in my post.I sure hope that's not what you took as "personal".As it was ment "you" as almost everyone.If you read that as personal i am sorry about that.Again forum's are to discuss things and saying "stop" does not make sense to me.As it's a forum and discussions can go on and on.And disagreeing with someone is not a personal attack, what NYCRULESU did to me, now thats a personal attack on someone.I was just using the word "you" as a general word to describe people in general.
    "Joba" I think we may have got off on the wrong foot. I clearly understand your opinion as I hope you do mine. I think we might have thought one thing and in the ways of typing it the tone mayhave sounded different. No, do I think now that you were being personal as I am sorry if I may have gone in to "defence mode" I am sorry for what others may say but please dont lump me with them; as I do myself come here for alittle R/R. I only look forward for more discussions on this site as it hasbeen a heavan for me to be a member here nor do I want to burn any bridges here. Thank you and I hope we can go on to agree to disagree like adults.

TMPJETS-Thanks for the response,as i really appreciate it.I was just trying to get a understanding of the story you told so i could give my thoughts about it.And in doing it i might have come off like i was being personal and i was not.So i am glad you now understand i was'nt being personal with you as i am not that kind of person.And just because i am on a computer i don't treat people any different than if they were in front of me talking.I always try to treat people with the same respect i would want in return from them.I just like to get a full story before giving my thoughts and thats what i was doing.So i am sorry if i upset you.It's obvious that "nycrulesu" has a personal problem with me.And don't worry as i did'nt lump you in with them.And with this response from you,you have shown you are a classy person and i respect you for posting this to me.Yes,we might not agree (as we don't when it came to the story you told) but yes i do respect and understand you have the right to your opinion.And just because we don't agree on something does'nt mean we can't discuss it like you said in a adult manner.Like you said it's tough to read into what a person ment by what they typed.Anyways, all is good with me and you.And i also look forward to future discussions with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpjets View Post
    "Joba" I think we may have got off on the wrong foot. I clearly understand your opinion as I hope you do mine. I think we might have thought one thing and in the ways of typing it the tone mayhave sounded different. No, do I think now that you were being personal as I am sorry if I may have gone in to "defence mode" I am sorry for what others may say but please dont lump me with them; as I do myself come here for alittle R/R. I only look forward for more discussions on this site as it hasbeen a heavan for me to be a member here nor do I want to burn any bridges here. Thank you and I hope we can go on to agree to disagree like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    TMPJETS-Thanks for the response,as i really appreciate it.I was just trying to get a understanding of the story you told so i could give my thoughts about it.And in doing it i might have come off like i was being personal and i was not.So i am glad you now understand i was'nt being personal with you as i am not that kind of person.And just because i am on a computer i don't treat people any different than if they were in front of me talking.I always try to treat people with the same respect i would want in return from them.I just like to get a full story before giving my thoughts and thats what i was doing.So i am sorry if i upset you.It's obvious that "nycrulesu" has a personal problem with me.And don't worry as i did'nt lump you in with them.And with this response from you,you have shown you are a classy person and i respect you for posting this to me.Yes,we might not agree (as we don't when it came to the story you told) but yes i do respect and understand you have the right to your opinion.And just because we don't agree on something does'nt mean we can't discuss it like you said in a adult manner.Like you said it's tough to read into what a person ment by what they typed.Anyways, all is good with me and you.And i also look forward to future discussions with you.
    The same here, and Thanks!

I am one of the parents who will never allow my son to turn into one of the brats that I see at the games. At the same time, I will not let him turn into on of the grown up brats that are all acting the same way. Dave hit it on the head saying that kids will act the same way as they see other acting. How then can people complain for kids doing the same thing as them? I guess that's just how they learn it.

When I take my 3 year old to the games, we will usually sit in the front row right by the bullpen. My biggest pet peeve are those who come down from who knows where and try to push us out of the way (when we are standing in front of our seats). I have had parents give me the look of death when I have told them that they are in front of our seats. Should I or my son have to wait for them to get autographs when I pay the money to have the seats to help my son get autographs?

For those who complain that the kids are not into the game, there are more than just kids there not into the game. The girls looking for some sun, the drunks looking for overpriced beers, a nd the kids who are there to take in the whole atmosphere and whatever else they want. In other words, you can't discount what a kid is there...the same as they should not discount your love of the game or heartfelt joy of getting a ball.

Nothing against anybody doing their own thing, just my opinions and as long as it doesn't affect me or my son there....go for whatever u go for.