Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Obnoxious kid/parent stories, MLB edition

As promised, here's the thread..I'll start with one from the last game of the season several years ago at Wrigley Field.

My buddy Joe and I were among a dozen or so fans hanging behind the Pirates dugout as the Bucs left the field after their last game. Several players were tossing caps and other things into the stands, and I was, for the most part, shut out (Joe got a cap). The last guy to come in was bullpen coach Bruce Tanner. He flipped his cap over the dugout roof, and I grabbed it...only to have a kid and his father start whining that this cap was theirs. I looked and saw that the kid was already holding two caps and pointed that out to him. He and his father claimed that they had to have a thrid cap, as the kid's sister wanted one, but couldn't make the game. I just blew both of them off...surprisingly, no other fans in the immediate area were backing Father and Son Greedy here...and the father made one last attempt to verbally browbeat me into giving up my cap for this "sister". I ignored him, but the kid followed me all the way to the top of the exit before my continued refusals (and Joe coming by to tell the kid to hasta la vista) finally got rid of him. Two caps wasn't enough for these fools, they wanted mine, as well. I can see, to some extreme, the kid getting obnoxious, but what kind of father encourages his son to be so greedy and pushy?

BTW, I still have the Bruce Tanner cap...and never saw Father & Son Greedy again.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Re: Obnoxious kid/parent stories, MLB edition

This story is actually funny and the kids weren't being obnoxious a definite "had to be there" moment. Back in 2007 at Shea stadium a young kid,maybe 10 or 9 the oldest, very funny to a ball player. Joe Smith was singing autographs and the kid asked Joe if he could have his hat, and Joe said, "You want my hat?" and smiled. Joe is a very nice guy BTW, but couldn't give up his hat.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    As promised, here's the thread..I'll start with one from the last game of the season several years ago at Wrigley Field.

My buddy Joe and I were among a dozen or so fans hanging behind the Pirates dugout as the Bucs left the field after their last game. Several players were tossing caps and other things into the stands, and I was, for the most part, shut out (Joe got a cap). The last guy to come in was bullpen coach Bruce Tanner. He flipped his cap over the dugout roof, and I grabbed it...only to have a kid and his father start whining that this cap was theirs. I looked and saw that the kid was already holding two caps and pointed that out to him. He and his father claimed that they had to have a thrid cap, as the kid's sister wanted one, but couldn't make the game. I just blew both of them off...surprisingly, no other fans in the immediate area were backing Father and Son Greedy here...and the father made one last attempt to verbally browbeat me into giving up my cap for this "sister". I ignored him, but the kid followed me all the way to the top of the exit before my continued refusals (and Joe coming by to tell the kid to hasta la vista) finally got rid of him. Two caps wasn't enough for these fools, they wanted mine, as well. I can see, to some extreme, the kid getting obnoxious, but what kind of father encourages his son to be so greedy and pushy?

BTW, I still have the Bruce Tanner cap...and never saw Father & Son Greedy again.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Thanks for the story. I have been waiting for it!

That story seems about right for the typical modern obnoxious father and son combo.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yea I know what you mean with those stories. I had a couple of those situations this year. The worst being in St. Louis for a Cards vs. Cubs game. Kevin Gregg was walking over near where a few people were near the dugout with a ball. I yelled out his name and held up my hands. He looked right at me and tossed the ball up. I caught it, and as I was looking it over i feel a finger tap me on the back. I turn around to see a guy, around 45 years old, staring at me. I ask him what he wanted and he goes "um that ball isnt yours. he threw it at me not you sir." I ask him why he thinks that and he goes "it was coming right at me and I think it's time you give it to me." I went on to explain to this man that I called out to Kevin Gregg and he was looking right at me, not to mention I was the one who actually caught the ball. Anyway, I spent the next few minutes telling this idiot why this ball isn't his, until a friend of mine finally got him to shut up and go away. Thats my story for the day

I was at a Giants/Mariners game at Pac Bell the year that the park opened. Rickey Henderson was playing outfield and caught the last out of the inning. We happened to have seats about 5 rows behind the dugout. I had a mit in my hand and I kind of flexed it open and closed a couple of times. He looked my way, pointed to the ball, and then threw it to me. I caught it and he gave me a thumbs up. WELLLLLL Mr. Father 5 rows behind me started telling me that he was throwing HIM the ball. He had a cute little girl with him. STUPIDLY I gave the kid the ball. I NEVER should have done that. I have felt like a fool ever since.

Around 1996-97 my father took me to spring training in Peoria to watch the Mariners. I was 14 or 15 at the time. My parents raised me to be respectful and nice to everyone. Joey Cora was signing by the M's dugout and I worked my way up to the front of the line. I was 3 people back when Joey said 3 more then I'm done. I look to my right and see a little girl about to bust out the big tears so I step back and let the little girl go. Once she gets to him the dad blocks me out and filters his 2 other kids in, I threw a nice mean mug at him and said your welcome! Joey of course signs for the kids and walks off, the dad turns around and smiles at me and says maybe next time punk. About that time the area clears out and Cora walks by and says to me "hey thanks for letting the little girl in, I'm sorry the guy was rude to you I didn't realize what was going on till I looked up again. Then asked me if I still wanted the ball signed. Of course I did! Worked out well for me and never saw the crying triplets or dad again.

I think the obnoxious kid/parent award goes to the 34 year old father and 15 year old son who jumped out of the stands in Chicago and attacked Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field in 2002.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...s_whitesox_ap/

I'll bet those are some fun family reunions.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    I think the obnoxious kid/parent award goes to the 34 year old father and 15 year old son who jumped out of the stands in Chicago and attacked Kansas City Royals coach Tom Gamboa on the field in 2002.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...s_whitesox_ap/

I'll bet those are some fun family reunions.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com
    That is ridiculous

I was at a Mariners game just this last July with my uncle, and had a loser of a guy rip some poor little girl out of a ball. My uncle and I were just beside the M's dugout 2 rows up. And as many times throughout the game there were some fly outs and players would toss them up to the fans. At one time around the the bottom of the 6th, I think it was Mike Sweeney threw one up in the stands, before the 3rd out a little girl about 8 ran down to catch the ball when the "A**hole" of a guy sitting right next to the girl jumped up and caught the ball and was like "Whoohoo!" the girl instantly started to cry. Funny thing is Sweeney didnt see any of it but Griffey saw the whole thing and said out loud to the guy..."What the F***" and waived at the guy and acted like he would sign the ball. Meanwhile the entire section was watching what was taking place, the guy very excited stood up and threw the ball to Griffey and then Jr. very sarcasticly looked at the ball then the guy and laughed at him and called the little girl over and gave her the ball and then the crowd clapped for joy as the player had to step in for a fan that was a major looser and was booed right out of the game. One more thing the guy was about 45 years old, what a chump.