Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Brett

George Brett

Hey Jim or Mike,

Did George Brett ever use a finished T85 during the 1983-1985 seasons? Here is the bat in question:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-BRETT-GAM...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Re: George Brett

Curious how one of the deep gouge marks around the Louisville Slugger center brand happens to conveniently go exactly over the place where the underlined "125" would be on a NON game used Brett bat! Any thoughts?

byergo,
    to me, it doesnt look like a gouge, but the grain of the bat.

Think you're right, it's just the natural grain of the wood.

I am just now seeing this thread and it appears that the auction has ended and the bat sold for $1,392. T85 is a valid model number for Brett during the 83-85 time period. There are also numerous Baseball Promotional orders of T85 during this time period as well as two - 500 total bat orders by the KC Royals in 1983, that had to be for promotional puprposes - that's right - 500 bats ordered by the KC Royals on 11/22/83 and 500 bats ordered on 12/21//83. Most of Brett's orders for T85 bats during this period were 34.5" in length with weights of 32 ounces. The bat in question has the nice pine tar separation that I discuss in one of my blogs from last year - Game Used Bat Collecting Tips. I don't like how the barrel looks sanded and I also don't like the actual use on the barrel - its not comensurate with the amount of pine tar on the handle. This is a bat I would like to inspect in person to measure - weigh - and review the actual game use on the barrel, before rendering a ture opinion. This must have been a one day auction? I don't remember seeing this bat listed................... but I could have missed it......

If you have any other questions, please contact me at jcaravello@nc.rr.com - Jim

I agree with Jim, I wouldnt have bid.

It was a at least a 7 day auction. The first bid was on the 16th.

Here is why the top of the barrel looks "sanded":
    Name:  brett1.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  brett2.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  brett3.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  28.0 KB

Brett used donut weights while waiting in the on deck circle, and that caused friction marks in that exact spot of his bat. The top pic most clearly demonstrates how this alters the bats appearance.

Byergo - A donut bat weight would not have caused that large an area to be affected on the barrel. I have used those personally myelf and have seen numerous other major league bats ( with many in my collection ) that have donut bat weight marks and they look nothing like the barrel on that Brett Bat. As mentioned, this is a bat I would want to see in person before making any determination on it - but a donut bat weight did not create the appearance on that bat. Thanks, Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

If anyone is interested in a nice Brett bat, www.greyflannel.com has what I think is a killer 86-89 C271 Brett bat on their website. Take a look at the barrel and the shoe marks and ball marks - the bat has perfect pine tar separation on the handle and the use on the barrel is comensurate with the pine tar application - this is a killer piece. They are asking $2,500 for it - I would have bought that bat already if I did not have one in my collection.

Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com