Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why do people collect Phil Plantier and Matt Nokes stuff??

I've been collecting for years, and all my favorites are stars. When I go to the items wanted and see people who are desperately looking for a Phil Plantier bat, I am honestly puzzled. Why collect no names? I know you guys are out there, and I'm not trying to be funny, but who wants this stuff?

Re: Why do people collect Phil Plantier and Matt Nokes stuff??

To each his own.

Some people like to collect the players from their hometown teams, or guys that grew up locally. And some collect on a budget and can't collect merely Hall of Famers and perennial All-Stars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Toowon View Post
    I've been collecting for years, and all my favorites are stars. When I go to the items wanted and see people who are desperately looking for a Phil Plantier bat, I am honestly puzzled. Why collect no names? I know you guys are out there, and I'm not trying to be funny, but who wants this stuff?
    I can tell you that many Tigers fans have fond memories of Matt Nokes. His 1987 rookie season was impressive and he was named to the All-Star team. Also, 1987 was the last time the Tigers won the division.

Everybody has their reasons. Here are a few possible ones...
    • Guy is the missing link in a set. Sometimes, the no-name guy's bat is the toughest bat to get.
    • You know the player or met him one time and you just like the guy. Could be he was a minor league player that nobody knew, but you got to know each other when the guy was playing rookie league ball.
    • He's from your school or hometown.
    • You have something in common with the player -- anything from a medical condition to a passion for the same music.
    • He did something once that was memorable. For example, my dad likes Roger Freed because Rog hit a walk-off HR against the Dodgers at a game we were at. Rog also smoked on the bench and kept candy in his back pocket -- kind of a big, endearing goof in my dad's eyes. I have 250 bats, my dad has one. Guess who.
    When you see an ad where someone is looking for a non-star player's stuff, there's probably a good story behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    I can tell you that many Tigers fans have fond memories of Matt Nokes. His 1987 rookie season was impressive and he was named to the All-Star team. Also, 1987 was the last time the Tigers won the division.

Yeah about .290/28-30HR/85-90RBI right? Not shabby at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Jeff hit most of the reasons I collect Ed Hearn

- Ed was a member of the 86 Mets and was one of the hardest bats for me to find since he only played that one season for the Mets.

- I was fortunate enough to meet and develop a friendship with him.

- We both share the same Christian faith.

- He juggled 3 baseballs in the 1986 Let's Go Mets Video.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I remember refusing $15 for a Phil Plantier Stadium Club RC at a cardshow in 1992. My brother-in-law still rubs it in once in awhile.

Anyways if I was a hardcore Sox fan I would try to locate the bat from this card.

FYI. Plantier did hit 30 hr and 100 rbi in a season latter in his career. Not a slouch at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him. He never performed at a "star" level, but is popular with fans and was a steady presence throughout his 15 year career.

I've personally met many "stars" and "superstars" of sports, music, TV, etc. and some just don't do it for me personally. I have GU bats all over my basement walls of such players as Mike Benjamin, Donnie Sadler, Pokey Reese, Marty Barrett, Darren Bragg, and many more. Also Victor Martinez, Mike Lowell, and others who achieved more success, but for what it's worth, they ALL made it to the majors, I never did, so that in and of itself rates them for a spot on my walls. Lowell, for that matter, is a cancer survivor and shares the same character attributes as Mr. Eisenreich.

I am different and probably appear quite odd to state that even if I were inclined to spend the money to do so, I would not go out of my way to augment my collection with Williams, Yaz, or Fisk, for example, because to me, personally, "stardom" is not the criteria I use to collect player(s). I also have Julian Tavarez, Casey Kotchman, and a few other lesser-known players, because I somehow connect with them.

I know some collectors accumulate bats/balls/unis from big name players strictly so they can claim bragging rights. Others collect for investment purposes, and some for a mixture of reasons. But Phil Plantier or Joe DiMaggio is the same guy in some peoples' eyes. Just like you can't say everyone should listen to the Beatles or Stones.

The personal connection can and often is a stronger motivator to collect. Looking at some of the big stars of the past 10-15 years in baseball, it is no wonder that many a collector is worried about unloading some of their stuff and cannot because of the scandals.

Who would today invest much if anything in Tiger Woods-related items? Or Bonds? Where do you draw the line at who is a "star"? Seems like in some cases, the bigger they are, the leper they are.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    I have collected Jim Eisenreich for about 12 years as he is an inspiration to others with his history of facing down and defeating adversity, playing through it and sharing his time with similarly-afflicted kids (Tourette Syndrome). He is very humble and modest, a true gentleman, and I am thrilled to have met him.
    I remember Jim's days with the Royals quite well. A class act, all the way, and a fan favorite. Best reason to collect a player IMO.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

I collect Jack Hannahan because I went to high school with him. When you've watched a guy develop since he was 14 years old, you're really invested...even if he does only hit .218 in The Show.

Chris
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com