Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What player's items did you buy early in their career before they broke out?

There have been a number of threads on here about players who detonate their careers (Bonds, Tiger, McGwire, Vick, etc) and destroy the value of their GU/Signed items as well as great rookies who end up as busts causing collectors to take big losses if they ever sell their items.

On the flip side, are anybody on here bought items of a player relatively early in their career, on the cheap? I realize this is more and more rare as rookies items can be more expensive than the established stars but wanted to hear some stories and see some pics if they are out there.

Re: What player's items did you buy early in their career before they broke out?

I spent alot of money on Ben McDonald rookie cards....

If I had been collecting GU items back then, it would have been Dimitri Young. Not a bad career, but not a superstar.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: What player's items did you buy early in their career before they broke out?

I bought my first Cal Ripken Jr. game worn jersey at an Orioles Wives auction in 1985

Bernie Williams; from 1994 through 1996 I bought at least 15 Bernie bats ranging from $40-$150, had 4 jerseys, batting helmet, cleats, a couple of hats and some other items.

A couple of years later when the prices were high and we were buying a house and expecting our first child I sold the entire collection. I made a nice profit but there are more than a few items that I really would love to locate and reaquire.

Abe

I collected Josh Hamilton early in his career and continued even through the drug issues. I did not buy enough looking back... Wish I would have got more bats, problem was there was not many floating around.

Hanley Ramirez Game Used Signed Helmet.

I spent alot of money on Ben McDonald rookie cards....
    Dave we can trade... I still have a bunch of Ben McDonald cards...lol
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

5 or 6 Alex Rodriguez game bats for around $250-$400 a piece. Sold them around 2001 when I built my Boss Shinoda Mustang.

Thanks Alex!!!
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Matt Holliday's 1st MLB Jersey assigned to him from his 1st MLB Spring Training in 2000. He was #84 (pretty far down the pecking order).

I found it on the 'Bay in 2002 - 2 years before his MLB debut - and picked it up on the cheap. Still have it and probably will for some time.

Albert Pujols ROY inscribed ball. While working Loss prevention for Niketown Denver in 2002, I had the privilege of spending about 3 hours with Albert when the Cards came to town early in the season. We could not get autos in the store and when he went to check out, I took lunch, ran across the street to the Rockies Dug Out Store, bought an MLB ball and caught Albert as he was exiting the store. Ddidn't make a big scene, he was gracious and signed and added the ROY - '01 and his #5 without me asking. Had no idea how RARE that inscription would turn out to be with his early sig. Still have it as well.

- Chris

Jonny Gomes. And I'm still waiting...