Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Opinions on getting a game used jersey signed

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_burner View Post
    I should have added, Nick was extremely nice, friendly and as goofy as always from what I'd previously seen in interviews etc. and he had already been sitting there for at least 90 minutes. He gave me a nice handshake afterwards. I'm certain that if the staff hadn't been as they were, he would have done everything I had wanted. Maybe in the future I'll see if I want to change it but for now I'm content with it. Its a cool jersey that I'm happy to own.
    i always thought of swisher as a happer go lucky guy. glad he is the same off the field as well. looking forward to the photos as well.

regards

joel
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Signature and jersey look great! Glad things worked out.

I had a similar experience last weekend at a Toronto Raptors event. I had an authentic (not game used) Chris Bosh 2006 All-star jersey that I wanted signed. As in your event, people were rushed through the line like cattle. I wanted Bosh to sign it specifically using a silver pen that I had on the number. But the security personnel simply took the jersey from me and handed it to him -- so that he could sign it with his own Sharpies.

Luckily, Bosh saw, and signalled to security to let me pass. He then asked me where and how it wanted it signed. I guess he saw that I was actually holding a special pen. Anyways, to make a long story short, I had a good 5 minute conversation with Bosh after he signed my jersey. The line literally STOPPED until we were finished our conversation. Such a great guy.
    ------------------------------------
    My Blue Jays Collection

I prefer they sign the jersey not on the numbers. But that notation "1st game" looks good.
    I heard on MLB.com -Yankee site that if you waited for A-Rod it was probably the worst signing experience ever. Here's a blog entry from today's show at New Rock City:

Let me start by saying that I am a gristled veteran of the card show/player signings curcuit. I have been going for nearly 20 years and have met some of the niceest players (David Cone) and some of the worst (Willie Mays). The experience has changed alot. The companies charge more for players and the lines have increased dramatically, but I go in expacted this and knowing the deal.
    So my quick story: I went to SteinerFest 2010 today in New Rochelle to obtain the pricey autograph of Alex Rodriguez ($250.00 and that was the base price). I stood in the cold for about an hour only to learn that Alex was going to be about 90 minutes late. No big deal, alot of players are late. I stood in another line inside New Roc City and listened to Steiner organizers berate, belittle and verbally attack any patron that they could get to hear the sound of there voices (Big fat guy in the gray...you know who you are). No big deal...I've stood in many lines. Then I stood in another line to get to the Arod signing location. Lucky my father came with me (he loves the Yankees) and there were some really friendly people in line. So....after about 3-4 hrs came the crowning moment. I get to meet Arod (remember my background now....20 years of shows...I know what to expect). Here's what I got:
    A rude Steiner employee that told me NOT to speak to Alex
    Two rude Steiner employees that were yelling at a 9 year old to leave because Alex would not take a picture with him
    When I thanked Alex for helping us win the WS he did not look up.
    When I stuck my hand out to shake his he shooed me away with his pen
    When my father gave him the ball to sign he rolled it across the table back at him and didnt even look up.
    Behind me were two crying kids cuz he would not take a picture
    The whole time he justed chewed his gum without a care in the world and like he could care less that 1000's came to see him.
    To Arod: Without us fans you would be meaningless. Without the Yankees you would be ringless. And finally I learned today ......that you are classless

Great looking jersey and photomatch to it and nice autograph.Even though i am not a fan of silver sharpies,i like paint pens better.I know what you saying about being rushed in a show.You never get to spend the time with the player that you want.But i understand if they did'nt rush you that it would take forever for everyone to get thier items signed.Did they allow pictures of them signing or with you? I am jealous i would have loved to go to this show.I did not hear anything about it but it's not like i could go to it.I am surprised the yankees don't do a fan fest like other teams.But anyway,great jersey. off topic-wow,what do you know i am agreeing with everyone on this thread.Someone tell "nycrulesu" about this rare posting from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    I prefer they sign the jersey not on the numbers. But that notation "1st game" looks good.
    I heard on MLB.com -Yankee site that if you waited for A-Rod it was probably the worst signing experience ever. Here's a blog entry from today's show at New Rock City:
    Let me start by saying that I am a gristled veteran of the card show/player signings curcuit. I have been going for nearly 20 years and have met some of the niceest players (David Cone) and some of the worst (Willie Mays). The experience has changed alot. The companies charge more for players and the lines have increased dramatically, but I go in expacted this and knowing the deal.
    So my quick story: I went to SteinerFest 2010 today in New Rochelle to obtain the pricey autograph of Alex Rodriguez ($250.00 and that was the base price). I stood in the cold for about an hour only to learn that Alex was going to be about 90 minutes late. No big deal, alot of players are late. I stood in another line inside New Roc City and listened to Steiner organizers berate, belittle and verbally attack any patron that they could get to hear the sound of there voices (Big fat guy in the gray...you know who you are). No big deal...I've stood in many lines. Then I stood in another line to get to the Arod signing location. Lucky my father came with me (he loves the Yankees) and there were some really friendly people in line. So....after about 3-4 hrs came the crowning moment. I get to meet Arod (remember my background now....20 years of shows...I know what to expect). Here's what I got:
    A rude Steiner employee that told me NOT to speak to Alex
    Two rude Steiner employees that were yelling at a 9 year old to leave because Alex would not take a picture with him
    When I thanked Alex for helping us win the WS he did not look up.
    When I stuck my hand out to shake his he shooed me away with his pen
    When my father gave him the ball to sign he rolled it across the table back at him and didnt even look up.
    Behind me were two crying kids cuz he would not take a picture
    The whole time he justed chewed his gum without a care in the world and like he could care less that 1000's came to see him.
    To Arod: Without us fans you would be meaningless. Without the Yankees you would be ringless. And finally I learned today ......that you are classless
    Now he really doesn't have to be nice. He has done it all now that he has a ring. But, like the mindless sheep we are. We continue to let them treat us that way....All they care about is the money, and their
    massive heads....
    Roger Ward- Thomecollector
    thomecollector@verizon.net

That jersey looks great. I went to a signing of Nick's while he was with the Oakland A's. And back then he was the same character as you described him as.

Very sorry to hear that Arod story. He was nice when I met him at the boys & girls club Yankees Luncheon in 08.

The swisher Jersey came out very nice. Lots of space to make it a team signed piece. F Steiner

boys & girls yankee luncheon 2008
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am sorry about your A-rod experience too, he was great wen I met him a few years ago at the Ripken Foundation Aspire event.

That jersey is AWESOME. Nice work.