Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: eBay: Late 60s Saints durene?

I received this answer from one of my contacts, a long time executive at Southland:

Yes, Warren. As I recall the story, when NO got their franchise in 1967, an asst eqpt mgr for the Cowboys got the job for the Saints. Southland made the game jerseys for the first couple of years. The one on Ebay is definitely ours. As to whether it is "game wore" is another question. It could have been but I can't say positively.

. . . and to second Warren's discovery, I just got off the telephone with a long-time Saints collector who has a '67/'68 Saints jersey in his collection. He confirmed that it was made by Southland, and he also stated that several jerseys from that era in the team Hall-of-Fame are also Southland jerseys.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Darren Lewis and Willie McGee items.

Bidding ended, $1,700+

For prosperity's sake:

In addition to preseason use, this jersey may also have been worn in the movie Number One starring Charlton Heston and featuring the New Orleans Saints players that was released in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by tcfor3 View Post
    In addition to preseason use, this jersey may also have been worn in the movie Number One starring Charlton Heston and featuring the New Orleans Saints players that was released in 1969.
    Could not find a photo from the film with black jerseys...seller is from the L.A. area and gets much of his inventory from the second hand market, so movie-worn is a definite maybe...looks like the same numeral font...

The comment about the Number 1 movie is a great one.

I also heard the Saints had a farm club that got the scraps, and thus might explain the nearly extinct late 60's gamers.

Is Number 1 available on DVD?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
    Is Number 1 available on DVD?
    Yes. It is available.

Great clip with actual NFL footage and insert shots of Heston wearing white and black:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VbRxfIoKkM

Featuring the music of Al Hirt, the technical support of Ed Sabol and the acting skills of my all-time favorite sports artist, Ernie Barnes. A fellow North Carolinian and former NFL player who passed away last Spring. Rest in Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    2. Bruce Cortez wore #47 for New Orleans in 1967. He was active in only one regular season game according to the Pro Football Encyclopedia. He is also listed as #47 on the 1968 pre-camp roster in the Street & Smith Pro Football Annual, but did not make the team. See the following two links showing Cortez on the 1967 roster: http://www.nosaintshistory.com/rosters/1967ros.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...967_roster.htm
    These are on eBay now, from thetoppsvault:

Nice photos from Topps! The ebay jersey is definitely a different jersey than the one in the Topps photos. Look closely at the sleeves. The ebay jersey has the traditional long-sleeves of the era while the jersey worn in the Topps photos has the cuffed-sleeves style that were also used by teams - especially warm-weather teams - during that era.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Will trade NFL durene jerseys for WFL jerseys.

Educational thread bump...