Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Yankees/Cubs Lineup Card Question - First Game at New Stadium

I'm hoping I might be able to get some feedback from the Yankees experts here on a plate lineup card I acquired from the Cubs at the convention this year.

This appears to be the Yankees plate lineup card given to the Cubs at the first (exhibition) game at the new stadium. However, it is not MLB hologrammed and it seems to me that this item would have a holo on it.

The provenance for it, however, is strong. I got it and a few other cards out of a stack of opponents lineup cards that was put in front of me by one of the Cubs clubhouse attendants sorting through all of their stuff at the sale. This particular stack was entirely opponents exchanged lineup cards. There was only one per game, many were holoed (though many were not), and many were handwritten. The holoed cards I got from this stack all indicate that they are game used from the Cubs clubhouse. (By the way, while many had been filled in by hand I think *none* of the cards in the stack were signed by the opposing manager. Do they have to be signed?)

So, anyone else have the holoed lineup card from this game? Anyone out who might be able to give me some insight?

Re: Yankees/Cubs Lineup Card Question - First Game at New Stadium

I actually spoke with an MLB Authenticator about this issue. I have Mark Kotsay's jersey that is photomatched to the game he hit for the cycle and also collected his 2,500th career hit, and it isn't MLB authenticated.

I went to an autograph signing where an MLB authenticator was present, and when the signing was complete I asked why something with such significance wasn't holo'd. He told me that the authenticator has to request items before the game starts. If it isn't requested, then they can't get it basically. So even stuff with a big significance can sometimes not be authenticated.

In my opinion I would blame the authenticator, not the team, for not having something authenticated when it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by 08Cubs View Post
    I'm hoping I might be able to get some feedback from the Yankees experts here on a plate lineup card I acquired from the Cubs at the convention this year.

This appears to be the Yankees plate lineup card given to the Cubs at the first (exhibition) game at the new stadium. However, it is not MLB hologrammed and it seems to me that this item would have a holo on it.

The provenance for it, however, is strong. I got it and a few other cards out of a stack of opponents lineup cards that was put in front of me by one of the Cubs clubhouse attendants sorting through all of their stuff at the sale. This particular stack was entirely opponents exchanged lineup cards. There was only one per game, many were holoed (though many were not), and many were handwritten. The holoed cards I got from this stack all indicate that they are game used from the Cubs clubhouse. (By the way, while many had been filled in by hand I think *none* of the cards in the stack were signed by the opposing manager. Do they have to be signed?)

So, anyone else have the holoed lineup card from this game? Anyone out who might be able to give me some insight?
    I do know for a lineup card to be official, it has to be signed by the manager (at least the copy that goes to the Plate Umpire; attesting to the lineup, etc)...Since a lot of these now are computer generated, this just may be a copy...It may be indeed the Cubs managers copy, but you'd think it would have some wear to it (folded, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post
    I actually spoke with an MLB Authenticator about this issue. I have Mark Kotsay's jersey that is photomatched to the game he hit for the cycle and also collected his 2,500th career hit, and it isn't MLB authenticated.

I went to an autograph signing where an MLB authenticator was present, and when the signing was complete I asked why something with such significance wasn't holo'd. He told me that the authenticator has to request items before the game starts. If it isn't requested, then they can't get it basically. So even stuff with a big significance can sometimes not be authenticated.

In my opinion I would blame the authenticator, not the team, for not having something authenticated when it should have.
    request items before the game starts? how does that work for unpredictable events such as a no hitters? it does not make sense as no milestones and feats would never be authenticated as it would not be requested before the game start.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I do know for a lineup card to be official, it has to be signed by the manager (at least the copy that goes to the Plate Umpire; attesting to the lineup, etc)...Since a lot of these now are computer generated, this just may be a copy...It may be indeed the Cubs managers copy, but you'd think it would have some wear to it (folded, etc.)
    There is a bit of wear/stain on the back, but not much. Generally these were all in pristine condition, which suggests that Lou/Trammell didn't do too much with them. Dusty marked up his own (Cubs) lineup cards a lot, but I don't have any visitors cards from them.

Anything I'd say about the authenticator would be pure speculation, but I wonder if the Yankees were so focused on holoing their own stuff for Steiner that this slipped out through the visitors side.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    request items before the game starts? how does that work for unpredictable events such as a no hitters? it does not make sense as no milestones and feats would never be authenticated as it would not be requested before the game start.
    I'm sure in case of a no hitter all the items used in the gameget stored an made sure it gets Authenticated the next day.
    Maybe thats the reason sometimes you see dates for a session one day after the event.

To address the question regarding whether the lineup cards must be signed by the Manager, I distinguish between batting-order cards and dugout lineup cards. The dugout lineup cards, which are unofficial, are large and contain both teams. Although there's a space for the manager's signature, Cox is the only manager I've seen who actually signs them, and he apparently does so after the game. The Bench Coach actually handles the dugout lineup cards.

The batting-order cards are the official ones handed to the plate umpire and opposing manager. I own two of these. One was from 1991 and was signed by the manager, though I suspect it was the opposing manager's or umpires' copy because the only change in the lineup during the game was noted by a different person than the one who filled it out. My other one is a Boston Braves' lineup card from July 21, 1943, when they lost to the Cubs at Wrigley. It's not signed and it's also a mystery. Although Stengel was Manager, it doesn't match other Stengel writing that I've seen ( from the early 50's forward) because the capital letters are all different. Stengel was recovering from an auto acident and was still on crutches by this game. I've read that two of his coaches acted as "co-managers" during this period and one of them may have filled it out. It's also possible that Stengel didn't travel to Wrigley because of his injury.

Anyway, I think the small official batting-order cards, which contain only one team, are supposed to be signed, though the manager's own copy or another ( coaches?) copy of it need not be signed.