Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ethics Question Regarding Game Used & Fanfests

Yesterday at NatsFest, two gentleman scooped up a large amount of the game used jerseys the team had for sale in the Majestic store. What is everyone's opinion--the early bird gets the worm or how much is too much for 1-2 people?

Banned

Re: Ethics Question Regarding Game Used & Fanfests

As long as the information is made available to everyone as to when the items go on sale, I don't see a problem with it. We do live in a free-market, and though I strongly dislike some of the high prices/mark-ups you see on Game used items, it is a seller's right. Just as long as dealers don't get an earlier chance to scoop everything up before collectors, than I don't see a problem with it. And if it was just collectors buying all the stuff up, than no biggie. As far as placing limits on how many someone can buy ? I don't think that's really a great idea.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jdr3 View Post
    Yesterday at NatsFest, two gentleman scooped up a large amount of the game used jerseys the team had for sale in the Majestic store. What is everyone's opinion--the early bird gets the worm or how much is too much for 1-2 people?
    If the guys bought the items before the store opened then that sucks.
    But if they waited in line like everybody else they have the right to buy every single item in the store.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    If the guys bought the items before the store opened then that sucks.
    But if they waited in line like everybody else they have the right to buy every single item in the store.

That's what I was getting at. I totally agree with you. As long as everyone had an equal chance.

Jim, to be fair, you make this Thread and then forgot to mention you were standing with me at the cash register and you got the best jersey there in my opinion which was the 2009 blue John Lannan patriotic jersey, and that 2005 Watson jersey. John Lannan was the ace of the staff last year so if you are going to post this like it was a wild smash and grab, tell the whole story. You got the nicest jersey.

Plus we waited in the cold and got there early so it was good strategy because like every other FanFest, the decent stuff goes quick.

I walked away with 5 jerseys of which 2 were priced at the higher tier and 1 is going to another Forum member.

We had this discussion on the O's thread that the good stuff needs to go on the auction so everyone has a fair shot. Some guy grabbed 2 Wieters at the O's FanFest that are worth a ton of money and a bunch of other stuff in addition.

At the Nats, these were mostly old jerseys of guys long gone and they threw in 2 players and 1 coaches jersey from the 2009 season. Wil Nieves is a backup catcher.

I wanted the Brian Schneider and got the Wilkerson for another person who gave me his wishlist and got the Jim Riggleman which was $250 and Wil Nieves which was $250 and John Patterson for $100. I don't think many would pay $250 for an unsigned Wil Nieves jersey and for that matter Jim Riggleman at $250 since it was his 3rd base coaches jersey. The John Patterson had light to no use on it as many of the jerseys were in that condition. I was also supposed to get a Milledge which they didn't have.

MarkFD got the Loaiza, the Jose Guillen and a couple of others which still left many others up there like Preston Wilson, Pete Orr, Saul Rivera, Rick Short, Gary Majewski, Paul LoDuca, Gary Bennett, Deivi Cruz, Lopez, Martinez, and 14 others that I don't recall the names.

So Pete Orr and Saul Rivera are already up on eBay so what does that say?

I know Ari and Mark H. got there several minutes behind us as Mark F., you and I were at the cash register, and sure it looked like we had a lot of jerseys as I was holding your 2 jerseys also JIM!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

If standing in line for and hour and 15 minutes in 17 degree temperature and buying 4 jerseys if minor stars, at best, out of 30 jerseys than I am guilty as charged!?

I'll be honest - I was irritated, but there was nothing in there that was so worthwhile it was worth losing any sleep over.

Whoever is first certainly gets first pick and deserves a fair share of the highest quality items. But not *all* of the quality items, and I think that was the problem. There were so few worthwhile jerseys in there yesterday that buying more than a couple when there were only five or six people in the room left nothing for anybody else, which to me seemed selfish. Compare and contrast with the Orioles, where there was a little more to go around. In that setting, I don't think buying four or five jerseys is necessariy unreasonable.

So it's all context. If there are only around ten jerseys that anybody might really want in a room and a handful of people there at the start, should two people pretty much get all of them? That's a question of courtesy and consideration, not expectation or rule.

Banned

this whole thread is LOL

Grown men arguing over Nats FanFest and who bought jersey's and got there first. Come on kids !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lokee View Post
    this whole thread is LOL

Grown men arguing over Nats FanFest and who bought jersey's and got there first. Come on kids !
    Yeah really why are people crying over Nats jerseys.
    But really why shouldn't the person that got up extra early waited in line in the cold a$$ weather get the right to buy all the jerseys if he wants too.
    You had the same chance as him but you decided to sleep in.
    The first time I went to the White Sox garage sale I was like 20 back and every year after that I made sure that I got there earlier.
    Now Im always in the top 3 inline.
    Its a small price to pay to make sure I get what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by 08Cubs View Post
    Whoever is first certainly gets first pick and deserves a fair share of the highest quality items.
    Just for my knowledge, what jerseys would you say was the highest quality jerseys they had there? Just curious.

Also, be honest, would you have paid $250 for the Wil Nieves.

It isn't like they had Alfonso Soriano, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, and Livan Hernandez jerseys.

Also, why did you pass on the Pete Orr and the Saul Rivera jerseys as they hung on the wall for hours and they were $100. Jim and I went back in the store at 1:30 and they still had 14 jerseys left which included the Orr and Rivera.

And just so I know, I don't want to assume your name but if you were standing there with us, does your name start with an A and end in an I?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500