Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Ballpoint or Marker? Which One Do You Prefer??

I'm not sure about how long a signature takes to fade in lights or which would fade faster. I personally prefer a bic medium point pen for my OMLB signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    I'm not sure about how long a signature takes to fade in lights or which would fade faster. I personally prefer a bic medium point pen for my OMLB signatures.
    It probably doesn't hurt that my basement only has ONE window (no direct sunlight) and I have replaced all of my Incandescent bulbs with CFLs and all of the bulbs in my cases are LED (no ultraviolet so to speak).

Having worked for Rawlings, the leather on the ball (even on OMLBs) can also affect the fading and such - some pieces of leather are just more porous than others. I had a OMLB signed by Robin Yount that faded away inside a year. My buddy had Robin re-sign it with another pen and that sig faded away too... he then sent the ball through the mail and sent Robin a letter about the 'disappearing' sigs... Robin signed it a third time and sent it back and that one faded away too... thankfully Robin thought it was a funny story, so he also sent my buddy a second signed OMLB ball as well that still looks great.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    It probably doesn't hurt that my basement only has ONE window (no direct sunlight) and I have replaced all of my Incandescent bulbs with CFLs and all of the bulbs in my cases are LED (no ultraviolet so to speak).

Having worked for Rawlings, the leather on the ball (even on OMLBs) can also affect the fading and such - some pieces of leather are just more porous than others. I had a OMLB signed by Robin Yount that faded away inside a year. My buddy had Robin re-sign it with another pen and that sig faded away too... he then sent the ball through the mail and sent Robin a letter about the 'disappearing' sigs... Robin signed it a third time and sent it back and that one faded away too... thankfully Robin thought it was a funny story, so he also sent my buddy a second signed OMLB ball as well that still looks great.

Great story. Cool that Yount thought it was funny Sounds like a great guy, I always thought he was.

One more example - of what a marker does - these are all three on the same ball:

Mantle (SS)

DiMaggio (SP)

Sutton (MARKER)

See how it's starting to feather??? And the Sutton was added YEARS after Mantle and DiMaggio per the original owner...

- Chris
    what is the SP stand for? Side Panel? Anyways what instrument was used to by DiMaggio to sign?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

heres some early signed arod baseballs over 15 years old.
    one on the bottom left is in a sharpie. so i think it depends on the whether the signer signs fast enough that the pen doesnt run. If you get a slow signer, more ink gets onto the baseball. i could be wrong but just my thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

The ONLY Ballpoint Pen I will use - I've been using them exclusively for almost 10 years now and have as yet to have a signature fade:

Bic Velocity 1.0

Just my personal preference.

- Chris
    BINGO!! Nothing else should be used. #1 in my book

Always A Pen On A Ball.

You will have to excuse me......I am way out of my league here in a baseball thread but has anyone ever used a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point marker? I had a bunch of golf balls signed years back and it seemed to work great, but I have no idea how it would work on a baseball.

I would think that it would withstand the fading part, but I don't know whether it would bleed or not.

Anyone have any info or thoughts on using one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    heres some early signed arod baseballs over 15 years old.
    one on the bottom left is in a sharpie. so i think it depends on the whether the signer signs fast enough that the pen doesnt run. If you get a slow signer, more ink gets onto the baseball. i could be wrong but just my thoughts.
    Shoot, I just saw that one on the bottom left.

Looks better than the rest, IMO. It stands out more, and it appears to be a more 'even' signature if that makes sense.

I do have to agree with the 'slow signer' part. Some jerseys that I have had signed bled because the athlete hesitated during the signature which caused the Sharpie to soak into the fabric a little.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    what is the SP stand for? Side Panel? Anyways what instrument was used to by DiMaggio to sign?
    Joel -

I couldn't say for sure as I rcvd the ball as it is. My guess is that at one time it was blue ball point but over time it has turned to that kind of green hue that is so often present in vintage sigs.

Actually his sig gives a solid date stamp to the ball as his sig says:

To Henrietta -
    Best Wishes
    Joe DiMaggio
    April 22 1967

- Chris