Ballpoint or Marker? Which One Do You Prefer??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aaccee
    • May 2006

Ballpoint or Marker? Which One Do You Prefer??

I have a question about using ballpoint or marker to have signature on a baseball.

Which one could be kept on the sweetspot for longer time?

I don't want the signatures fade from the lights.

Thanks for your opinions!

Li
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Ballpoint or Marker? Which One Do You Prefer??

Originally posted by aaccee
    I have a question about using ballpoint or marker to have signature on a baseball.

Which one could be kept on the sweetspot for longer time?

I don't want the signatures fade from the lights.

Thanks for your opinions!

Li
    blue ball point pen for baseball would last longer. markers may bleed over time.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

i be a fountain pen made from game used bats would do better than a marker. no joke.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• aaccee
        • May 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
        blue ball point pen for baseball would last longer. markers may bleed over time.

Thanks joelsabi!

Do you recommend any brand of blue ball point pen?

If I have some signatures by markers, how I should do to protect them well?

Li

Comment

• xpress34
          • Sep 2008

The ONLY Ballpoint Pen I will use - I've been using them exclusively for almost 10 years now and have as yet to have a signature fade:

Bic Velocity 1.0

Just my personal preference.

- Chris

Comment

• joelsabi
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by aaccee
            Thanks joelsabi!

Do you recommend any brand of blue ball point pen?

If I have some signatures by markers, how I should do to protect them well?

Li
            i go with chris. a cheap bic pen does the trick.

just keep it from direct sunlight and put a postit over the signature when you arent admiring it.
            Regards,
            Joel S.
            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Manram
              • Nov 2008

Marker usually ends up fading and can over time also become a big blob

Comment

• xpress34
                • Sep 2008

Some examples from my collection done with BiC Velocity 1.0 Blue:

Signed 2002

Signed 2004

Signed 2009

The Pujols still looks as bright as the Berkman which was signed 7 years later!!!

- Chris

Comment

• xpress34
                  • Sep 2008

Actually the Pujols was signed with a Regular Blue BiC (NOT Velocity which is slightly brighter blue) because that's what I had at Niketown the day Albert was there...

- Chris

Comment

• xpress34
                    • Sep 2008

One more example - of what a marker does - these are all three on the same ball:

Mantle (SS)

DiMaggio (SP)

Sutton (MARKER)

See how it's starting to feather??? And the Sutton was added YEARS after Mantle and DiMaggio per the original owner...

- Chris

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2009

I'm not sure about how long a signature takes to fade in lights or which would fade faster. I personally prefer a bic medium point pen for my OMLB signatures.

Comment

• xpress34
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by NYCrulesU
                        I'm not sure about how long a signature takes to fade in lights or which would fade faster. I personally prefer a bic medium point pen for my OMLB signatures.
                        It probably doesn't hurt that my basement only has ONE window (no direct sunlight) and I have replaced all of my Incandescent bulbs with CFLs and all of the bulbs in my cases are LED (no ultraviolet so to speak).

Having worked for Rawlings, the leather on the ball (even on OMLBs) can also affect the fading and such - some pieces of leather are just more porous than others. I had a OMLB signed by Robin Yount that faded away inside a year. My buddy had Robin re-sign it with another pen and that sig faded away too... he then sent the ball through the mail and sent Robin a letter about the 'disappearing' sigs... Robin signed it a third time and sent it back and that one faded away too... thankfully Robin thought it was a funny story, so he also sent my buddy a second signed OMLB ball as well that still looks great.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by xpress34
                          It probably doesn't hurt that my basement only has ONE window (no direct sunlight) and I have replaced all of my Incandescent bulbs with CFLs and all of the bulbs in my cases are LED (no ultraviolet so to speak).

Having worked for Rawlings, the leather on the ball (even on OMLBs) can also affect the fading and such - some pieces of leather are just more porous than others. I had a OMLB signed by Robin Yount that faded away inside a year. My buddy had Robin re-sign it with another pen and that sig faded away too... he then sent the ball through the mail and sent Robin a letter about the 'disappearing' sigs... Robin signed it a third time and sent it back and that one faded away too... thankfully Robin thought it was a funny story, so he also sent my buddy a second signed OMLB ball as well that still looks great.

Great story. Cool that Yount thought it was funny Sounds like a great guy, I always thought he was.

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by xpress34
                            One more example - of what a marker does - these are all three on the same ball:

Mantle (SS)

DiMaggio (SP)

Sutton (MARKER)

See how it's starting to feather??? And the Sutton was added YEARS after Mantle and DiMaggio per the original owner...

- Chris
                            what is the SP stand for? Side Panel? Anyways what instrument was used to by DiMaggio to sign?
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

heres some early signed arod baseballs over 15 years old.
                              one on the bottom left is in a sharpie. so i think it depends on the whether the signer signs fast enough that the pen doesnt run. If you get a slow signer, more ink gets onto the baseball. i could be wrong but just my thoughts.
                              Attached Files
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...