Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: MLB Authentication Process...

Monopolize??? Huh? MLB hires a service company to perform a function. If you want to hire a Yankees.stub authenticator to follow you around and stick your sticker on things, nobody is stopping you.

I think you are overly accusatory and being a little irrational on this. Nothing in what they are doing is any sort of monopolistic endeavor.

The authenticator does not work for you and they are not responsible for authenticating anything and everything. As AllStarPlus said, each authenticator chooses what and when to authenticate.

Its not a monopoly for them to refuse to slap their sticker on some ball some dude shows them.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees.stub View Post
    ... So pretty much, MLB Authenticate serves only one purpose then ... to make the item more valueable in the auction process?
    Monopolize much?
    (Beside some of the stuff authenticated and then given to the Hall Of Fame Museum - I am all for that idea).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by CampWest View Post
    Well if they're putting a code on every baseball, why put a separate code for each game? You'd still have to figure out which ball went with which event. If thats the goal then, why not put a truly unique code on each ball manufactured for game use and scan it at every pitch.

Then you need no stickers, no authenticators, no chasing down the balls, no worry about chain of control, and virtually eliminates worrying about errors or mistakes or fraud, it would be nearly 100% fail proof ... each ball fully inventoried and accounted for each time it was used on the field. Now if only we can figure out a way to build a scanner and transmitter into each pitcher's glove. hmmm
    interesting. an umpire with a scanner gun in his back pocket. then the authenticator needs to scanner too to verify the unique code matches.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    interesting. an umpire with a scanner gun in his back pocket. then the authenticator needs to scanner too to verify the unique code matches.
    Nahh... not like a bar code... just a "reader" the code can be numbers and letters so anybody with a ball can go punch it into the MLB website and see what pitches it was used for. Authenticator wouldn't need to ever touch another baseball again. They can just focus on bats and jerseys and what not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Well if they're putting a code on every baseball, why put a separate code for each game? You'd still have to figure out which ball went with which event. If thats the goal then, why not put a truly unique code on each ball manufactured for game use and scan it at every pitch.

Then you need no stickers, no authenticators, no chasing down the balls, no worry about chain of control, and virtually eliminates worrying about errors or mistakes or fraud, it would be nearly 100% fail proof ... each ball fully inventoried and accounted for each time it was used on the field. Now if only we can figure out a way to build a scanner and transmitter into each pitcher's glove. hmmm
    Before the umpire rubs up the balls for the game they write a small code on each ball and the authenticator has a sheet with the unique code. Real simple. Easy. When a HR is caught, it is bagged and sealed with the ticket stub for after the game if they want to pay for the authentication. The bag used is held by outfield ushers and has that type of tape like on sealed hospital bags. Once the seal is broken, it can no longer be authenticated.

The authenticator stays after the game anyway. So they will inspect the bag with the HR ball and anyone else that had a coded ball would be considered a foul ball. The HR ball goes into FAN COLLECTED HR database.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

This last year I witnessed someone being given a complimentary COA on the spot for an Ichiro home run ball, and I've also heard of the Draconian MLB hologram hoops, so I don't know what are the universal rules.

Banned

Hmmm, my main question is why they choose to authenticate some and not others?

The some that they authenticated ---- ALL ENDS UP IN AUCTION!

As for having one going around to authenticating anything and everything, that is just non-sense.... oops, they already did that ... when they get stuff from the old Yankee stadium.

So again, why do MLB paid for authenticator to be at the game - just to authenticate the items when they are putting up for auction later? Why doesnt PSADNA or even JSA have booth in the stadium with access to instant replay to authenticate fan-friendly item?

If I ever see GAI, I will run so fast it is not even funny!

Monopolize??? Huh? MLB hires a service company to perform a function. If you want to hire a Yankees.stub authenticator to follow you around and stick your sticker on things, nobody is stopping you.

I think you are overly accusatory and being a little irrational on this. Nothing in what they are doing is any sort of monopolistic endeavor.

The authenticator does not work for you and they are not responsible for authenticating anything and everything. As AllStarPlus said, each authenticator chooses what and when to authenticate.

Its not a monopoly for them to refuse to slap their sticker on some ball some dude shows them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Before the umpire rubs up the balls for the game they write a small code on each ball and the authenticator has a sheet with the unique code. Real simple. Easy. When a HR is caught, it is bagged and sealed with the ticket stub for after the game if they want to pay for the authentication. The bag used is held by outfield ushers and has that type of tape like on sealed hospital bags. Once the seal is broken, it can no longer be authenticated.

The authenticator stays after the game anyway. So they will inspect the bag with the HR ball and anyone else that had a coded ball would be considered a foul ball. The HR ball goes into FAN COLLECTED HR database.

GREAT IDEA...

Hey Bud, here is another opportunity for you to make more money for die-hard fan!

I fully support it if it happens!