Would you paid for an autograph or would you take chance to get it for FREE at the stadium or hotel or airport

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Utopian2630
    • May 2006

Re: Would you paid for an autograph or would you take chance to get it for FREE at the stadium or hotel or air

Granted I've long since retired from getting autographs as a competitive sport unless its something i really need signed like a jersey or a band of importance is in town.

I agree with those who say they like the stories that goes along with the autographs. The chase is half the fun to be honest with you....I've probably posted a few stories here and there (like me getting cussed out and threatened by Terry Pendleton when I was 12 because I asked him to sign a cracked game-used bat ) but whatever, it was fun and collecting autographs as a kit kept me out of trouble so no harm.

I think its an entirely different situation these days as its more of a business and the fun is all but gone it seems. Think about it, back in the day, if I wanted someone like Ozzie Smith or Tony Gwynn (grew up in an NL town) I had to devote the entire homestand to try and get them.....if I was out of luck, I had to wait until the next homestand (or next season if they only visited here once). Now, if I were a kid collecting, I wouldnt have to worry because there'd be ebay....or a billion other websites available to fill my need.
    However, because of the bigger pricetags associated with autographs these days, you have more 'pros' who have just soured the whole thing and make it an almost dangerous scenario in some cases. For example, do a youtube search of Paul McCartney signing autographs and you'll see many out of control frenzies where it looks like people are on the verge of coming to blows...not cool.

Anyway, I guess my long-winded take is that growing up before the big memorabelia/autograph boom spoiled me too much to spend a car payment for an autograph of a current athlete whose autograph can always be secured for a price.

Im sure as to what other veterain autograph collectors think of this.

Comment

• Utopian2630
      • May 2006

Re: Would you paid for an autograph or would you take chance to get it for FREE at the stadium or hotel or air

[quote
      Im sure as to what other veterain autograph collectors think of this.[/quote]

meant to say I am CURIOUS as to what other veteran autograph collectors think of this. Insanely long day at work for me today and I can barely think.

Comment

• platinum1
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

I will never ever pay for an autograph unless I really really need it.
        I get the players at the ballpark or the hotel and living in Chicago you get
        to see players from the NL and AL.
        When I worked at the airport I would always have a couple of baseballs at work just in case someone would come through.
        Especially when there was an autograph show in town. I would search for players and get them to sign when they got of the plain .
        I was able to get Tony Gwynn, Dave Winfield , Reggie Bush , Felix Pie, Mushin Muhamed, and some celebrities like Morgan Freeman, Michael Keaton and many more all at the airport for free.
        And as far as authenticity I dont care.
        I dont plan on selling any of my autographs and if one day I have grandchildren then they can have them and they could do what ever they want with them.

Comment

• RJB44
          • Jan 2006

Has anyone ever got a real bad autograph and had the urge to say something (to the player)? Although I don't collect autographs, but I would think that if you are paying top dollar at a signing or have a real nice piece of equipment, that you expect a high quality signature. Suppose you have a nice bat or jersey, and the player, being an ass, just "scratches" something on it. I can only think that at professional signings, you might have some recourse through the sponsor. If at the at the park, hotel, or other "at the moment" situation, your pretty much at risk, meaning you get what you get. While looking through my collection of old programs, I happen to come across one for a 1982 Oakland A's game against the Red Sox and saw that it has Wade Bogg's autograph on the cover. The typical hastily written on field signature, but nevertheless its is Wade Boggs. I was interested in the just the program and paid like $4 for it on eBay a few years ago. No mention of the Boggs signature, maybe they didn't realize, heck I did 't even realize until just recently.

Comment

• yankees.stub
            Banned
            • Feb 2010

Just another point about the PAID autograph versus FREE autograph, if you are saying it doesnt matter and dont care about authenticity of the item AND re-selling the item has NEVER crossed your mind ... I think that is all but a joke!

You spend time and energy to get the FREE autograph, I hope you dont end up with a no-namer or bench warmer.. now that would be really waste of time.

If you spend money on an autograph (like myself), reselling the item does cross my mind. But I would like to enjoy it for a bit and just to make sure that it is liquidate-able in case of emergency.

So spend money = make money, Free money = ...?

Comment

• platinum1
              Banned
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by yankees.stub
              Just another point about the PAID autograph versus FREE autograph, if you are saying it doesnt matter and dont care about authenticity of the item AND re-selling the item has NEVER crossed your mind ... I think that is all but a joke!

You spend time and energy to get the FREE autograph, I hope you dont end up with a no-namer or bench warmer.. now that would be really waste of time.

If you spend money on an autograph (like myself), reselling the item does cross my mind. But I would like to enjoy it for a bit and just to make sure that it is liquidate-able in case of emergency.

Why would you say that.
              The whole reason I collected autographs was for the thrill of it.
              In Chicago its very easy to get an autograph and you can end up with atleast 10 to 15 autographs in one day.
              The money I save from not buying autographs I can spend it on a Game used items that has a better chance of the price of the item going up.
              Buying an autograph is like buying a new car, As soon as you drive it out of the lot the price goes down.

Comment

• yankees.stub
                Banned
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by platinum1
                Why would you say that.
                The whole reason I collected autographs was for the thrill of it.
                In Chicago its very easy to get an autograph and you can end up with atleast 10 to 15 autographs in one day.
                The money I save from not buying autographs I can spend it on a Game used items that has a better chance of the price of the item going up.
                Buying an autograph is like buying a new car, As soon as you drive it out of the lot the price goes down.

You missed my points -- What I meant was, if you can autograph for FREE, does it mean, re-selling the item has never crossed your mind.

The point between FREE versus PAID is the level of difficulty of obtaining the item IN CONDITION THAT IS EASILY SELL-ABLE.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by yankees.stub

Your theory is predicated on the item appreciating. Say you pay $350 bucks including item, sales tax, etc. to get Arod's sig. with all the Arod sigs out there how are you going to get much more than that or even that if you sell it? Every collector can just go to or mail order a sig from the same show you got your sig at or a future show or signing or buy it even cheaper on Ebay. If you get a free sig say it sells for even $75 you just made more than you likely would putting out $350 bucks. Today's players will sign for many more years so their stuff will never be in short supply. Even many of the formerly rare signers have started to come around Koufax and Bill Russell used to never do signings or sign autographs now they have exclusive autograph deals with major companies and you can get them whenever you want. Even Ali who had not signed in years just did a private signing. The only exception is many modern NBA players will not sign for free. Guys like Duncan, Garnett, Lebron there is very little chance of getting a free auto. I heard Garnett actually refers people who ask to the UDA website.

Comment

Working...