Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Value of a specific 1978-1982 Game Worn Jack Clark jersey

All,

I have been in recent dialog with a couple of collectors regarding a jersey in my collection -- Jack Clark's 1982 black alternate SF Giants jersey. The jersey is a sought after style, worn by a star player, is all original with all correct tagging and exhibits significant game use.

I have had a little trouble trying to figure out a fair value for the jersey, having searched completed auctions / prices realized in recent auctions. I have covered similar year/style jerseys from the team during that era and other Clark jerseys. I have not found much in my travels, but the little I did find seems to confirm my opinion on the value of the jersey.

If any of you have any experience with similar jerseys and can offer your two cents as to its value (or a range of values) can you please chime in?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Re: Value of a specific 1978-1982 Game Worn Jack Clark jersey

Regarding a scarce and desirable item, the auction format is the only way to find out the CURRENT value. Some items are worth less money today because their peak time to sell has passed (Bonds, McGwire, Clemens), while other items are steadier because of their vintage nature (the Clark jersey, in my opinion). I think your jersey would be desired by more than one serious collector, and that's the magic ingredient for any item on the auction block. Two collectors going for the same item may double or triple the original estimate, as we've all seen happen many times.

I know I haven't said anything new, but the bottom line is that any price you get is just a "guesstimate." On an item like this, the price paid two years ago, or even six months ago, means very little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned

My GUESS...high three figures, but the right auction and the right bidders could garner more.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Is it a Wilson or Alpha mesh?

Quote Originally Posted by hippo916 View Post
    Is it a Wilson or Alpha mesh?
    It is a Wilson game jersey, not the Alpha BP.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    My GUESS...high three figures, but the right auction and the right bidders could garner more.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Dave,

Thanks for your insight. It's about where I put it too; I was originally estimating $800-1,000.

Hunt Auctions appraised a similar style Clark jersey (though not as sought after as the black alternate) for $750-1,000.

The few 78-82 style alternate black jerseys I did come across for comparable players (i.e. Bill Madlock) sold for $1,250 and up.

Regards,
    Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Probably, $700 to $800, especially if Dick Dobbins partially stamped the Wilson tag in the collar with PURCHASED FROM SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS. The Alpha mesh jerseys, originally intended as BPs, were actually worn during some hot weather games.