Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting Tape And Glue Off Jersey...???

Hey guys, quick question just obtained a game used jersey that was in a frame. The glass on the frame is broken so I am attempting to get the jersey out of frame and use a clear jersey case.

My problem is it looks like jersey has sticky tape on back to keep it up on frame and maybe a staple or two...any idea how one gets sticky glue/tape off back of jersey...It's a game used White Sox jersey 1993...

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Re: Getting Tape And Glue Off Jersey...???

Goo Gone usually works pretty well on tape residue and other sticky substances.

Awesome I will give that a try, do you use a qtip or toothbrush to apply it?

It is a citrus based cleaner and comes in a squirt bottle. I'd imagine a soft toothbrush would work pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BO34 View Post
    Awesome I will give that a try, do you use a qtip or toothbrush to apply it?
    Be very careful with that Goo Gone! It will leave an oily residue, and if its a white jersey it will show for sure.

GOOF OFF will work. That is like a thinner and will evaporate without leaving the residue behind. Use a q-tip and only rub the area with the tape residue on it. Don't soak the jersey with it, it is pretty harsh stuff so the less you use the better.

Banned

[quote=TriplexXxSports;185896]Be very careful with that Goo Gone! It will leave an oily residue, and ...... it will smell like Orange Glow...

Someone (from a sewing athletic jersey store) told me to tried rubbing the ice cube on it until it harden and then slowly peeled it off ... only work with jersey or hat...

Never tried it since I dont want to have the jersey dried clean and messed up the signature.

Let me know if it works...

You just need to be very careful using anything that soaks into the fabric. Once the liquid gets into the fabric, there is no real way to get it out with washing it.

If you use an alcohol based product (goof off, rubbing alcohol, etc) the liquid that enters the fabric will evaporate.

Ice would work since it is just pure water, but I cannot speak from experience on that one.

I used goof off on a white twill number to remove residue from a hologram that was damaged. Work like a charm, and there is not one bit of evidence that the hologram, or the goof off ever existed on the white number.

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    Be very careful with that Goo Gone! It will leave an oily residue, and if its a white jersey it will show for sure.
    I was under the impression he was going to try to remove the residue and then wash the jersey. I don't think Goo Gone will stain if the jersey is subsequently washed. I heard Goof Off is good for removing autographs so it may work on tape residue too. I have never used it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I was under the impression he was going to try to remove the residue and then wash the jersey. I don't think Goo Gone will stain if the jersey is subsequently washed. I heard Goof Off is good for removing autographs so it may work on tape residue too. I have never used it.

Would it work on signed baseballs - with permanent marker or point pen?

Got some regretable signatures on some commemorative baseballs ....

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post

If the jersey is going to be washed, then yes, either will work. I've used that goo gone stuff on the stickers you get on new NFL shirts and it would always leave a mark where I used it. After I washed it it was fine.

That's why I suggested something alcohol based. That way it won't have to be laundered since the liquid used to remove the tape residue will just evaporate.