Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Smelly Jerseys

Smelly Jerseys

I have read numerous posts about people saying that they love to get the jerseys unwashed...I just received my first and its a Chiefs AFL jersey from NFL Auctions and it stinks! I'm not sure that I like 'em this way...what are your thoughts?

Also, there appears to be wash wear on the numbers and letters which makes me think that this one was used for both the 10/25/2009 and 10/11/2009 games. The tags says it was used for the 10/25 game.

Did anybody else win one of these Chiefs AFL jerseys?

Re: Smelly Jerseys

I didn't win an AFL jersey but just got my Maurice Stovall Bucs jersey from the game in London and it reeked. I have won four or five jerseys from NFL auctions the past few months and I think this is the first unwashed as none of the others smelled this bad.

The smelliest item I have ever owned was a Travis Hafner minor league GU hat that he wore for a full season. It was so bad I had to leave it in a plastic bag as the smell was overwhelming. I ended up selling it to a fellow forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeytigers View Post
    I have read numerous posts about people saying that they love to get the jerseys unwashed...I just received my first and its a Chiefs AFL jersey from NFL Auctions and it stinks! I'm not sure that I like 'em this way...what are your thoughts?

Also, there appears to be wash wear on the numbers and letters which makes me think that this one was used for both the 10/25/2009 and 10/11/2009 games. The tags says it was used for the 10/25 game.

Did anybody else win one of these Chiefs AFL jerseys?

I have a few New York Jets/Titans AFL throwbacks from NFL Auctions, and they smell awful! I mean AWFUL! It was raining when they played the game against the Tennesee Titans, so the jerseys being wet don't help, when mixed with sweat. All you can do is hang them in a clothes line and air them out (if you live in a house), or put them in xtra large Ziplock bags with a dryer sheet (if you live in an apartment like me). I think the last thing you want to do is wash them, but I've been told by a few members that the smell will subside, it will just take at least 1year, most likely more.

Banned

The Chiefs jerseys may have been worn in both games. They just collected it after the second game so that is why it is tagged only from that game. And the smell is part of the fun, I absolutely hate washed jerseys.

Here is one of the best examples of an unwashed jersey I have ever come across. It is a Larry Brown 1972 Redskins Road jersey that had a big hole on the back left shoulder area that was sewn up during the game with a shoe lace. As Brown describes in the photos, a fan threw a beer on him after he scored a touchdown. The jersey was given to WMAL, the radio station that did the games back then, before it was laundered and they raffled it off. There is still plenty of Yankee Stadium dirt, and maybe a little Budweiser, left 37 years later.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned

I had a Phil Hughes Yankees Jersey that smelled so bad when I took it out of the plastic i had to step back. The smell from the underrams of the shirt was hideous to the point I had to say to myself "Does this guy wear underarm deodorant?"
    It was just absolutely disgusting.

I love unwashed jerseys - Just give it to me after a year that you had it, so the smell goes away lol lol