Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Game used jerseys

Hi, I have never gotten a game used jersey before. I was wondering what do you look for to know it is authentic and also what are some good signs of the jersey being used in a game?

Thanks,
    Matt

Banned

Re: Game used jerseys

It depends on the player. Some player's jerseys have alot of customizations done to jerseys they use and if they are missing from the jersey it is likely the jersey is fake. There is a thread on here about a Pujols jersey that was offered by the Cardinals as game used that a few experienced Cards collectors judged to be not actually used because it lacked a certain customization. Other signs are tagging does it match up? Year and size although some jerseys are tagged from a year other than it was worn in. I have a jersey from NFL auctions worn this year that is tagged as a 2008 . Sometimes player's also change jersey sizes. Other things are ask for very specific pics if you are buying online look for signs that it was used, i.e. grass and dirt stains, even blood. Then try to photomatch it to the game it was used in which is easier if the seller gives you a specific game and very hard if the seller says it was used in a certain season but is not sure of the game. For common, slightly above average and veteran one or two time allstars buy from reputable long time dealers and if you want a second opinion for piece of mind have MEARS take a look at it, for the stars buy from Jo sports, meigray, steiner, league and team auction sites or from the secondary market that originated with these sources.

It really depends on the player and the team. There are so many different types of tagging each team has, and they switch up too every few years. Like the Braves....they have a strip tag with the players' jersey number, set number, and year; while the Phillies have just a little square strip tag with the year; and the Yankees have just a little "year flag" as some call it. A lot of teams differ with their tagging, so it really depends on the team you're looking at.

Also, certain players have characteristics that you look for on jerseys. For example, Martin Prado always taps the barrel of his bat on his shoulder during every at-bat, so his jerseys should have puckering or staining from the pine tar. Not every player has characteristics like that, but some do which you need to look for; especially for catchers since there should be puckering from the catchers equipment.

The whole game used industry is fun to get into but it takes a lot of homework to understand everything, and you'll get very educated on this forum with the help from everyone. It's how I started collecting and it's how I know what I know today.

The best advice I have ever received about collecting GU jerseys is to buy a couple game used no name players that no one would fake, and handle them to get to know how a team does repairs and other things. Handling the jerseys is such an important part of learning about what you want to collect and if its real. You might spend a little to buy these no name players but in the long runs its just a way of educating yourself. Good luck