Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: O/T: Whats the worst question someone has asked you about an auction item?

Great topic!
    I had a guy ask me a ton of questions about a game-used jersey. Then he bought it from me and claimed it was fake based on the information I had given him. So I offered to refund his money and pay for the postage for him to send it back. He said he would keep it so that if it were fake, he could expose me as a fraud. Maybe he wanted me to give it to him.

You just can't please some people.

das1721@suddenlink.net

I had a guy take the time to email me to tell me the jersey I had listed on eBay would have been interesting to him if it weren't autographed. That's it, that's all he had to say. I responded by politely telling him it was signed when I got it.

It was not a sports oriented item, but someone contacted me at least 6 months after the sale and stated there was a COA and the sale was not final without it.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Can you explain why you feel that this practice is unethical? I understand about eBay policy and everything, it's just I have never found it to be an ethics question. Please enlighten me with your logic.

Thanks.

-Frik
    Frik -

1st, I am NOT attacking you, just wanted to help nip this before this thread goes off topic and becomes another Train Wreck, his comment was THIS - as you put into BOLD:

Originally Posted by Jayworld
    Ryan:
    For me, it has to be several auctions that I've run on eBay in which someone contacts me and asks if I will end the auction early and sell the item to them for X-amount, OR if I will change my auction to a "Buy it Now" and they suggest the BIN price.

In the first instance, that is totally against eBay policy to end an auction early with an offer, etc., but that is also against my ethics. I generally reply that I'll let the auction run out to the end, and "good luck."

He did not say it was UNETHICAL - he said it was against HIS ETHICS.

Can we please get back to the topic at hand now. This is just going back down an old path questioning another person's personal choice.

All the best -

Chris

Banned

I was selling a Favre signed mini helmet and the auction description clearly stated that it was Favre authenticated with the Favre hologram, COA and photo of him signing. I received a question that stated:

"Why don't you have the pictures of Brett actually signing the item up? The auto looks pretty fake. If you actually do have proof, my e-mail address is"

I found it to be the worst question because he obviously did not read the item description.

I sold a pair of Clinton Portis unwashed game used pants 2 years back, and when they were listed, someone wrote and asked,

"If you smell where Clinton's junk should be, does it smell good or bad"

I about lost it (laughing), and responded that I'd leave that judgement up to the buyer......

Not a bad question, but the bad miscommunication event was when I auctioned an 8x10 wirephoto (a normal paper photograph as 99.99% of the population would figure out). The buyer complained when he got it because he thought it would be a slide. How in hell he thought he'd be getting slide, I haven't the slightest idea to this day .... However, I still accepted the item back, resold it fine and dandy, and the buyer kindly said he appreciated me accepting the return.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Can you explain why you feel that this practice is unethical? I understand about eBay policy and everything, it's just I have never found it to be an ethics question. Please enlighten me with your logic.

Thanks.

-Frik
    Frik - I have been buying and selling on eBay for almost 10 years...and in that time, I have ended auctions early because of a generous offer on something. However, after I lost potential centerpiece type items - I've made it a personal policy of mine to let the auction run the duration UNLESS the item has no bids going into the last day...

If an item has bids - especially competitive bidding, it's hard for me to just end it. Stuff like that can make people stay away from your auctions. I know of one seller in particular who did this to me TWICE (back when you could see who you were bidding against) - and I ignore him at local shows and his eBay auctions...even if I really want something he has.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I received this morning,

"Hello. Nice to meet you.

Excuse me....I ask you.

Do you have "NBA All-Star shorts"?

"1992 NBA Western All-Star shorts"
    "1993 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
    "1994 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
    "1996 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"

...I am looking for them very ardently.

1992,1993 and 1994 shorts are blue shorts.
    1996 shorts are green shorts.

Please look at my "Want it now".

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/NBA-All-st...dZ320467252129

I'm sorry for doing an unrelated question to this item.
    I wait for your answer.

Thank you for reading.
    Best Regards,"

Who randomly ask questions like this?
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    I received this morning,

"Hello. Nice to meet you.

Excuse me....I ask you.

Do you have "NBA All-Star shorts"?

"1992 NBA Western All-Star shorts"
    "1993 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
    "1994 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"
    "1996 NBA Eastern All-Star shorts"

...I am looking for them very ardently.

1992,1993 and 1994 shorts are blue shorts.
    1996 shorts are green shorts.

Please look at my "Want it now".

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/NBA-All-st...dZ320467252129

I'm sorry for doing an unrelated question to this item.
    I wait for your answer.

Thank you for reading.
    Best Regards,"

Who randomly ask questions like this?
    This is a forum member. Nice guy, English is not his first language.

"I will be able to become happy by obtaining the shorts.
    And, the preparation for keeping them through all eternity is made."