Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Show off your sports photography...

Here are a couple of photos from a trip to Cincy last year, and a few from Wrigley.

Mike-

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Amazing shots! I like the above two the best. Didn't know that there was a limit on lens size for Turner Field; what's the limit? Is this typical for stadiums? Does anyone enforce it?

Yep....a lot of stadiums have limits on camera lens sizes. Turner Field says it can't be longer than 4 inches and you can't have a monopod. Unfortunately they do enforce it, but there's a few ushers who I offer free prints to and they let me take pics with it. There have been quite a few though that told me I couldn't use my lens, so I simply walk away and take pictures away from them. I'm not gonna let anyone tell me to put my camera up.

Quote Originally Posted by mskwarek View Post
    Here are a couple of photos from a trip to Cincy last year, and a few from Wrigley.

Mike-
    Mike - What editing software does that mono effect to the background to the black and white and sepia tones?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Mike - What editing software does that mono effect to the background to the black and white and sepia tones?
    I use photoshop elements to create the color separation effects. It is done by:
    * creating a copy of the original,
    * changing the color of the copy to match your new background color (B&W or cepia)
    * from the original full color copy, highlight and copy the part of the image that you want to stand out and paste it on top of the B&W/Cepia. Don't worry about cutting it out perfectly.
    * Once you have pasted it, use the eraser tool to work away the color part of image to make it look clean.

There is no doubt that it takes practice, but it does create for some awesome pictures.

Mike

* changing the color of the copy to match your new background color (B&W or cepia)
    * from the original full color copy, highlight and copy the part of the image that you want to stand out and paste it on top of the B&W/Cepia. Don't worry about cutting it out perfectly.
    * Once you have pasted it, use the eraser tool to work away the color part of image to make it look clean.

There is no doubt that it takes practice, but it does create for some awesome pictures.

Mike
    That is so cool. I saw Steiner do that with Jeter catching the foul ball in the stands and always liked that effect.

How long does it take you to do it?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    That is so cool. I saw Steiner do that with Jeter catching the foul ball in the stands and always liked that effect.

How long does it take you to do it?
    I can get a picture done in about 30 minutes. Shoot me a PM if you have a photo that you would like to have converted..

Mike

I can get a picture done in about 30 minutes. Shoot me a PM if you have a photo that you would like to have converted..

Mike
    Very kind of you! Thanks!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Thought I'd add a few football shots to the thread. Some photos I took of one of my favorite subjects, my son in college and then back to high school.

Mike-
    Great work Mike... I need to take some Photoshop lessons... I have a couple great shots, that just don't work for me because of cost constraints I cannot afford a 400/2.8 to get the DOF and bokeh needed to offset the hitter from the spectators when shooting a subject at 100 feet with the background at 120 feet. Going monochrome behind color really helps offset that equipment limitation. I tried some gausian blur effects but just struggle to get good subject isolation in the tool.

Anyhow, rambling now... Back on topic. Great work, I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Mike
    Not to question your expertise, You are clearly better in Photoshop than I... But just for my education, is it easier to copy and paste with precise alignment than it would be to create a monochrome background layer and overlay it with a full color layer, doing the same eraser tool of the background in the full-color layer. Then one would be working with the same image size and it eliminates the need to copy and paste that cutout?

Have you had any luck using a wand or lasso to try to let PS identify the subject? or is it easier to free hand the eraser at say 200%? What size do you go to for the edge work on the subject, my attempts have always failed because of bad edges on the subject and a lack of time to really hone the skills.

Thanks for your time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell