Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: An example of why the forum has issues...

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    I find your answer to be a great one. It's strange how the forums you belong to and I belong to do not (often) exhibit the sigh-inducing garbage that has been common here for a good while.

I agree with posters who say it is harder to learn on this forum because of all the useless crud you have to wade through to find it. I do find material on a daily basis though that is valuable to me and comes free. For that, and to those who post such helpful info, I am in your debt.

I read through a lot of the older threads that catch my interest.

Who is this "kingjammy" guy? He signs as "Rudy". He appears to know quite a bit. But he hasn't made any posts in awhile. Anyone know where he is?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    As a total noob on this forum, it really comes across that people are REALLY uptight around here.

Did you mean total knob?

Drop your wallet ONCE around this place, and you'll find out why.

Welcome to the big dance.

What do you collect?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Maybe the site would benefit by having a "Lounge Area" that serves as an off-topic area. This will not only generate more traffic on the board, but it will be more acceptable to go off-topic.

I second this.

It would solve much of what members complain about here. I have seen it suggested on other threads I have had the misfortune of reading. Yet nothing is done? I don't understand that, but who am I? So we keep reading on....

Quote Originally Posted by Genke View Post
    I read through a lot of the older threads that catch my interest.

Who is this "kingjammy" guy? He signs as "Rudy". He appears to know quite a bit. But he hasn't made any posts in awhile. Anyone know where he is?
    quite a bit is an understatement. rudy is one of my all time favorite posters just because i learn something new and makes me think every time he posts. hoping he and others return once the issues are resolved. hoping some knowledgeable posters who left will thinks it's worthwhile to post again.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Lastings-I am with you also,as i don't have one either.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    You cannot go te credit card route though because there are people that do not have a credit card, like me. This forum, is fine but you do have people that just like to cause problems. It's too bad, and I have no idea why this has to be the forum where people get so personal with attacks and all. So the next question is, what's the next username for yankees.stub?

Lastings-Again you are right on and i have to agree with you.And i just have to say it's not just young people who don't have credit cards as it was said on here.Some older adults don't have them.But thats off topic.I also belong to other forums and they have more members and you don't see the outcry as you see on here.But that's because the mods are watching over it and active members on those forums.I think once chris puts this 5 member team together things will get better on here.And i agree about the "pm" thing and i think all "pm's" should be open to cut down on the public garbage on here.If you have a problem with someone you just send them a pm.But alot of members on here dont have thiers on.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    I have no suggestion at this point, but there are two other forums I am involved with (not sports related), and there has never been an issue. One forum is very large, and complex (with editing features!) but no problems and posting is easy. The best part is that everyone receives pm's and when one is received you get an email alerting you. I have no problem if someone is banned, and they want a second chance. But if you get that second chance, PLEASE take advantage of it and just work with everyone. I cannot tell you how helpful this forum has been to me, and couldn't be more thankful as a buyer and enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Let's take suggestions then for ID methods. What is yours? Leaving things the way they are is unworkable. Let's provide solutions instead of more obstacles. This place has proven it cannot be left to self-police so who has suggestions?
    Equifax has an ID Verify system which supposedly works, but I would suggest a simpler system of registering with a valid name, email, address, phone number.

The mod in charge of registering members should not activate the member until they crosscheck the information provided and then physically call the person.

When you start taking away the levels of transparency on the internet, people will behave themselves better when everyone knows who they are. I also think everyone should have their real name on the signature line.

This site shouldn't be about the quantity of members and the quantity of posts rather the quality of the members and the quality of the posts.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Equifax has an ID Verify system which supposedly works, but I would suggest a simpler system of registering with a valid name, email, address, phone number.

The mod in charge of registering members should not activate the member until they crosscheck the information provided and then physically call the person.

When you start taking away the levels of transparency on the internet, people will behave themselves better when everyone knows who they are. I also think everyone should have their real name on the signature line.

This site shouldn't be about the quantity of members and the quantity of posts rather the quality of the members and the quality of the posts.
    Well said....

Robert Koppel
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    It pains me to actually get involved with threads like this, but if you want to rid this forum of the clowns just ignore their threads. The more you feed into people like yankees.stub, the more BS you're going to receive.
    This is the BEST point made. Just ignore those people you do not like or agree with what they say.

I do think that if this site has more mods , that will help. But that will also depend on WHO is chosen. There are still the same people on here getting away with stuff like flaming and FALSE accusations about other members and nothing happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post

+1

I believe Andrew has hit the nail on the head. If you take a little bit of the anonymity away, you help create accountability. That is most likely the key if the model wants to rely heavily on self policing. The only other solution is very active involvement by moderators. I, too, frequent another forum that has no problems remotely close to what we’re dealing with on GUU. The close moderation doesn’t tolerate it. On that particular forum after reading an entire thread of two members debating a topic that I can’t even recall, but I thought there was absolutely no logic applied whatsoever. So, I posted the following quote, “What you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.” (Some may recognize that this is a modified movie quote.) As soon as I posted it, it disappeared. I thought I had done something wrong, so I re-typed the entire quote and posted it again. Bam, gone again, followed by a PM and e-mail from a mod. He said as much as he agreed that the thread was total nonsense, and that he found my post humorous, it would have potentially derailed the thread and he had no choice to delete it. I can see how that kind of moderation could clean up GUU. However, I would like to think we have the ability to show restraint and police ourselves, but even best intentions might need monitoring sometimes.

John