Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recommendation to Reslove GUU Drama

With all the drama threads going on, I would like to make the following recommendation.

Add a "Chat" section. This section is for whatever sports related chat people want.

The other sections are used for only what they are intended for.

Bottom line, you can't get away from people wanting to chat about whatever. If you add this section, it will elimate a lot of the bull crap that goes on.

If someone enters the other forums outside what it's intended for, then drop them like a hammer on a nail.

I to get sick of all the drama. It's a waste of time and the personal attacks on others are uncalled for.

Just my two cents.

Regards, Tony
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Re: Recommendation to Reslove GUU Drama

I second you two cents, some weird threads lately, so that makes $.04

I agree, its a shame, a chat section would be great for some of the off topic conversations we all might enjoy at some point. I'm sure I've been guilty of being OT as well, but a place where this can be done without muddying up the academic portion couldn't hurt. I've learned alot from this forum and met some great collectors whom I have purchased items from and gotten great insight from and I will always appreciate it. It does seem that the educational part has been getting watered down though. Lastly thanks for all the insight and knowledge from you guys.

Respectfully, I disagree.

We need to stop responding to those people. Flat out... Just stop participating in the banter. Let the mods ban them. Just report them every time they get out of hand and leave it to the mods.

I strongly suggest that we have a link that verifies e-mail addresses when new users sign up. I can't imagine that it would take that much but I truly have no idea what it would consist of strategically. I can't remember if JO Sports has that technology where when you sign up for their e-mail list, JO sends a verification link to your e-mail. You simply click on the link and it verifies that you are, well, you (or at least own that e-mail address). But, since the Mods have a relationship with them, maybe the two organizations could have a discussion about it.

If the trouble makers continue to open new e-mail addresses to create new GUU accounts, so be it. They're wasting their own time, not ours (if we don't let them).

The only other possible solution I could think of is to only let new members post in the "For Sale" and "Wanted" sections until they reach a certain number of posts. Again, that's one more thing the mods would have to deal with. I don't know if it's possible to lock an account until they reach, let's say, 50 posts and then that user is unlocked to post in other places.

I have no beef with Tony (we even tried to meet up with each other at my work a year or so ago. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I'd still like to shake hands with him). I just see the chat session as a free-for-all in name-calling, bashing and all-around childish behavior that will eventually find it's way back to the main part of GUU.

Just my two cents. I'm not going to second anyone's two cents because I can't add that high.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by intheminors View Post

We need to stop responding to those people. Flat out... Just stop participating in the banter. Let the mods ban them. Just report them every time they get out of hand and leave it to the mods.

I strongly suggest that we have a link that verifies e-mail addresses when new users sign up. I can't imagine that it would take that much but I truly have no idea what it would consist of strategically. I can't remember if JO Sports has that technology where when you sign up for their e-mail list, JO sends a verification link to your e-mail. You simply click on the link and it verifies that you are, well, you (or at least own that e-mail address). But, since the Mods have a relationship with them, maybe the two organizations could have a discussion about it.

If the trouble makers continue to open new e-mail addresses to create new GUU accounts, so be it. They're wasting their own time, not ours (if we don't let them).

The only other possible solution I could think of is to only let new members post in the "For Sale" and "Wanted" sections until they reach a certain number of posts. Again, that's one more thing the mods would have to deal with. I don't know if it's possible to lock an account until they reach, let's say, 50 posts and then that user is unlocked to post in other places.

I have no beef with Tony (we even tried to meet up with each other at my work a year or so ago. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I'd still like to shake hands with him). I just see the chat session as a free-for-all in name-calling, bashing and all-around childish behavior that will eventually find it's way back to the main part of GUU.

Just my two cents. I'm not going to second anyone's two cents because I can't add that high.

Thanks.
    I agree. You should not be able to sign up with an email account that can be registered from a public site like gmail, yahoo, hotmail otherwise the person can just repeatedly get a new email account. make it a email account that traces to a specific person like a work email or even an email from your cable company.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I am very familiar with forums online and while I have no idea what the total user count is on this board, I doubt the chat would be active enough.

Another idea is to start a live (or prerecorded) live chat like sports talk stations do on the radio. A show can have a couple host, there is a call line so people can ask question, and this can be done for free. This would possibly be interesting to do once a week or once a month. The shows are saved once they are completed, so we can go back to them, and all of this is free. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/

It would also promote the site.

2 Cents

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I am very familiar with forums online and while I have no idea what the total user count is on this board, I doubt the chat would be active enough.

Another idea is to start a live (or prerecorded) live chat like sports talk stations do on the radio. A show can have a couple host, there is a call line so people can ask question, and this can be done for free. This would possibly be interesting to do once a week or once a month. The shows are saved once they are completed, so we can go back to them, and all of this is free. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/

It would also promote the site.

2 Cents
    Sounds like maybe you're saying a game-used hobby podcast or something. That would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by intheminors View Post

Thanks.
    Both of you are good people - and there is a happy medium between both of your suggestions.

I like the idea of several mods policing the boards all day long. I would volunteer if I thought that I could do it at will - but I work during the day and have the kids at night...sigh.

Hopefully, Chris gets some good help and is able to delegate some moderation duties.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

I'm just happy something is FINALLY getting done.

I think a bigger problem has been the fact that as the acid and stupidity has accumulated over a number of years, it's driven away a number of quality posters who actually would like to discuss issues, items, and pretty much anything else. I'm not going to act like I'm a quality member or someone irreplaceable, but I got to a point of scanning the boards maybe once a week, seeing very little or nothing of value, and moving on. That's been over the last year or more that I've done that.

But I think the biggest problem ultimately comes down to the fact that too many people have been acting like high schoolers. Actually, that gives way too much credit...middle schoolers at best. There'd be a discussion on something, and someone with a personal issue with a participant would air their dirty laundry and the whole thing would just degenerate. Or someone would post something that was sent in an email on the boards and trigger a huge argument that way.

Regrettably, I think those bridges may have been burned for good. So unless there's a way to both clean out the trash and get the best of the hobby back into the fold, this is all empty talk and will never progress beyond that point.
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs