Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT: I hung out with 4 MLB players last night

I know this is off topic but i'll gladly take the bashing in exchage for telling my story.

A lady I work with is Friends with the PR lady for the base. The PR lady wanted to bring a few Japanese ballplayers on the base to shop at the BX and eat american food. The lady I work with asked her friend if she needed any help, as she knew i was a big baseball fan. I was asked to meet the players at the gate at 5pm to sign them on and show them around the BX.

So I pull up to the gate and there were 4 american guys standing outside. I instantly recognized one of the mas Matt Murton. I remembered him from his Cubs days. So i walk up to them and ask if they were comming on base. Then we introduced ourselves to each other and kinda stood around and talked while we were waiting on the PR lady to show up. The other 3 guys were Randy Messenger, Casey Fossum and Craig Brazell. They all had some time in the MLB and recently signed to play in Japan.

Finally we get the ball rolling and head over to the BX. The guys were really nice and were asking me a bunch of questions about the base and about the military. I in turn had my fair share of questions for them. We get upstairs and 3 of the players wanted to just browse around and Matt Murton wanted to go look at supplements. I took him over there and was helping him try to find want he needed. We must have stood there for a good 15-20 mins just talkin and lookin at different products. He was thrilled to visit the base and kept saying its something he'll never forget. Then we walked over to the electronics and checked out the video games. He wanted to find a new game to play and we prolly spent another 30 mins standing there talking and browsing at different games. There was a lot of normal conversation, as i did a good job of keeping my composure and trying not to ask too much about baseball. I was standing there still in awe, i couldnt believe how a few years ago i was watching Matt take fly balls in the outfield in Cincinnati as a Cub and now im standing here shopping with him.

We finally got the players checked out at the cash register, then we headed down stairs for some food. It was great just sitting there with these guys talking and sharing stories. Taco Bell and Subway is what everyone was craving for. They told me they've got a game this Saturday and invited out to watch and said when i get there to yell at them so they can come over and say hi. Matt wants to bring my son on the field and pass with him, which i know he'll be excited for that.

After dinner, we exchanged emailed addresses. Matt put mine down in his phone and shot me and email right there. Finally we took a group photo with everyones cameras which turned out great.

It didnt hit me until after I got in my car and drove away. I was pretty pumped about everything. Looking forward to Saturday...

Will post pics here soon.
    Always buying David Justice items

Re: OT: I hung out with 4 MLB players last night

Great story!! It is always nice to hear a positive story involving athletes.
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

That is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by murfsteve25 View Post
    I know this is off topic but i'll gladly take the bashing in exchage for telling my story.

A lady I work with is Friends with the PR lady for the base. The PR lady wanted to bring a few Japanese ballplayers on the base to shop at the BX and eat american food. The lady I work with asked her friend if she needed any help, as she knew i was a big baseball fan. I was asked to meet the players at the gate at 5pm to sign them on and show them around the BX.

So I pull up to the gate and there were 4 american guys standing outside. I instantly recognized one of the mas Matt Murton. I remembered him from his Cubs days. So i walk up to them and ask if they were comming on base. Then we introduced ourselves to each other and kinda stood around and talked while we were waiting on the PR lady to show up. The other 3 guys were Randy Messenger, Casey Fossum and Craig Brazell. They all had some time in the MLB and recently signed to play in Japan.

Finally we get the ball rolling and head over to the BX. The guys were really nice and were asking me a bunch of questions about the base and about the military. I in turn had my fair share of questions for them. We get upstairs and 3 of the players wanted to just browse around and Matt Murton wanted to go look at supplements. I took him over there and was helping him try to find want he needed. We must have stood there for a good 15-20 mins just talkin and lookin at different products. He was thrilled to visit the base and kept saying its something he'll never forget. Then we walked over to the electronics and checked out the video games. He wanted to find a new game to play and we prolly spent another 30 mins standing there talking and browsing at different games. There was a lot of normal conversation, as i did a good job of keeping my composure and trying not to ask too much about baseball. I was standing there still in awe, i couldnt believe how a few years ago i was watching Matt take fly balls in the outfield in Cincinnati as a Cub and now im standing here shopping with him.

We finally got the players checked out at the cash register, then we headed down stairs for some food. It was great just sitting there with these guys talking and sharing stories. Taco Bell and Subway is what everyone was craving for. They told me they've got a game this Saturday and invited out to watch and said when i get there to yell at them so they can come over and say hi. Matt wants to bring my son on the field and pass with him, which i know he'll be excited for that.

After dinner, we exchanged emailed addresses. Matt put mine down in his phone and shot me and email right there. Finally we took a group photo with everyones cameras which turned out great.

It didnt hit me until after I got in my car and drove away. I was pretty pumped about everything. Looking forward to Saturday...

Will post pics here soon.
    very cool. why do I have a feeling we have a new Matt Murton collector on our hands.

by chance are you in the military base yokosuka? i grew there.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    very cool. why do I have a feeling we have a new Matt Murton collector on our hands.

by chance are you in the military base yokosuka? i grew there.
    I'm not going to lie, I was looking around for Murton stuff. Good call on that! lol

But I know Matt said theyve got some hats and stuff for me at the stadium theyll give me on Saturday so theres a chance I could get some game used stuff directly.

Oh so you grew up in mainland Japan. I'm on the tiny island Okinawa. Kadena Air base. The teams are down here now for training. They'll fly back up after this month.

Cool story

Quote Originally Posted by murfsteve25 View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I was looking around for Murton stuff. Good call on that! lol

But I know Matt said theyve got some hats and stuff for me at the stadium theyll give me on Saturday so theres a chance I could get some game used stuff directly.

Oh so you grew up in mainland Japan. I'm on the tiny island Okinawa. Kadena Air base. The teams are down here now for training. They'll fly back up after this month.
    Extremely cool!!! I met Matt when he was here with the Rockies for a short stint... very nice guy - and you can't miss that RED hair!!!

Anyway, if you are serious about Murton items, a guy I met at a show here in Denver has a Murton GU CUBS Rookie Jersey that I believe he is looking to move. I can look for his info and see if he still has it, asking price, etc if you're interested.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Extremely cool!!! I met Matt when he was here with the Rockies for a short stint... very nice guy - and you can't miss that RED hair!!!

Anyway, if you are serious about Murton items, a guy I met at a show here in Denver has a Murton GU CUBS Rookie Jersey that I believe he is looking to move. I can look for his info and see if he still has it, asking price, etc if you're interested.

- Chris
    I will eventually want to pick some stuff up but im broke as of now . But I'll deff hit you up with an email!

Here are the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Murton's brother played at Georgia Tech last season, and will this one as well. He was a nice kid and joking around with us in the outfield.

That is a very cool story about them.