Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
Joel,

Thanks for responding back to me so quickly and for the analogy although it still makes no sense. The forum is not liable so why the amount. The hockey forum does not limit the amount and it seemed to work out over there.....

dave
Hi Dave,

Let me place emphasis on a certain part of the analogy.

The simplest way I can explain this $500 limit is it being analogous to a school having a school policy that students cannot carry over $20 to school. The policy prevents possible theft of large amount of money that the school is not liable for and it prevents the possible problems that the theft of say $100 would have on the school learning environment. In our case, the limit is $500 and the learning environment is the entire GUU forum.

Another school (your hockey forum) may not have such a school policy and that is their right as a school. Some students feel that such a school policy makes for a safer learning environment, where learning has more importance over other activities. Other students feel the school policy is unnecessary and overprotective.

A school policy of a $20 limit was unheard of back in the days. Unfortunately, such preventive policies are becoming more commonplace everywhere not just schools. For example, I take off my shoes at the airport to make travelers feel safer. Is it an inconvenience for me? Yes. Do I understand why the policy is in place? Yes.

The GUU mission is ”to bring game used collectors together and help hobbyists educate each other.” Personally, I like the emphasis on education and it is the main reason I come to the forum. Would it be an inconvenience for me to not be able to list my game used Alex Rodriguez bat on the CtoC section if I wanted to? Yes. Do I understand why the policy is in place? Yes.

Dave, I respect your position. Let's agree to disagree on this issue.

Regards,

Joel