Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Suggestion for GUU

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    An OT section would ruin this forum forever. There is already an OT section...every other message board and forum on the internet.
    I think some of you are cool dudes with a lot of knowledge. I could care less about your religious views, your bank account, your car, your job, what dog breed you think is best, your pick for the Oscar, your favorite song, Mac or Windows, boxers or briefs, a good recipe for a fried banana sandwich, etc.

Is the purpose of this forum to gain the most readership or to share the knowledge of game used sports memorabilia?
    What? You don't want to go on GUU and see pictures of people's houses in snow?

............boxers or briefs

What about those who go commando?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I still would be in favor of a LIMITED edit feature, such as on Newsvine. With that, your post is held on screen for 3 minutes to allow you to check for typos, misspelling, poor choices of words, etc. Any edits must be made in that 3-minute time frame, if not, the post goes up as is and is no longer subject to editing. It would help people correct legitimate errors without allowing the post to be deleted or altered after being posted.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Dave,

I am in conversation with the other mods as to why the edit feature was not enabled, and there have been some valuable points made.

One even suggested a similar "few-minute" edit time-frame. If this is possible, it sounds like a good compromise as to how to get rid of typos, etc.

Personally, I think the preview pane works well for this, because if a person is so concerned over typos that they re-read their post the minute or two after making it, they really should be previewing it first. Either way, they get to re-read their post before "committing."

But thanks for the suggestion. I wanted you to know that you weren't the first to come up with it.

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

An OT section would ruin this forum forever. There is already an OT section...every other message board and forum on the internet.
    I think some of you are cool dudes with a lot of knowledge. I could care less about your religious views, your bank account, your car, your job, what dog breed you think is best, your pick for the Oscar, your favorite song, Mac or Windows, boxers or briefs, a good recipe for a fried banana sandwich, etc.

Is the purpose of this forum to gain the most readership or to share the knowledge of game used sports memorabilia?
    Warren,

My thoughts on this one is that the game used memorabilia discussion lately contains more than its share of off topic posts. If we were to move all of these into a discussion board of their own, we can leave the GU memorabilia section for game used memorabilia only. This might be a plus for the purists, as they do not have to sift through all of the side topics.

I also think that when it comes down to a democratic vote, most people here seem to prefer the 'off topic' section.

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Warren,

My thoughts on this one is that the game used memorabilia discussion lately contains more than its share of off topic posts. If we were to move all of these into a discussion board of their own, we can leave the GU memorabilia section for game used memorabilia only. This might be a plus for the purists, as they do not have to sift through all of the side topics.

I also think that when it comes down to a democratic vote, most people here seem to prefer the 'off topic' section.

Nick
    Nick
    You make good points, and it's not my decision. You guys have a tough job, and I'm sure you will make the right choices.

Warren

You wouldn't have to read any of that stuff if you don't want to.

Why is this such an issue?

If you don't want to read something, DON'T READ IT.

Why are people so afraid of change?
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Long time member here, avid reader, infrequent poster and totally discouraged and frustrated by the devolution of what was once a fabulous and valuable site. I TOTALLY AGREE with the above comment. If you don't want to discuss GU, do me and a number of silent or almost silent fans of what this site was and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

There was a time when a number of people with tremendous knowledge and understanding of the game used industry posted on this site. Go back and look at the old site and some of the wonderful and informative posts that were posted. In depth discussions of labeling and tagging. I have been collecting GU for 25 years and I learned more in the last 5 years from this site than I ever knew before. There are people like Jim and Mike that for no cost dig through bat records to help collectors.

Many of the people with the most knowledge have been driven from this site. Were these people perfect, of course not. Could they be frustrating, absolutely. Yet we all have witnessed a zelot like zeal to attack, demean and drive people from this site. Many of you might not realize it, but it has come at a tremendous cost to all of us and this forum.

Why in the world should our moderators who perform this job for free be charged with moderating an off topic forum? Why should we be encouraging people visiting this forum to engage in such discussion when many have repeatedly demonstrated a total and utter inability to exercise civil discourse on even the most basic topics? Posting a list of reasons why people were banned, another horrible idea in my opinion. It could be defamatory and will lead to even more gossiping and back stabbing.

Paticipating in this forum is a privilege not a right and you should leave it better than when you left. If everyone tried to look at it as an opportunity to build something, whether by offering knowledge or information, it would be a better place. I hope that the moderators exercise a very heavy pen editing the irrelevant and rule this place with an iron fist, banning all those who don't live by Eric's credo. I also hope that the Moderators consider reaching out to those who have been driven away and encourage them to return with the promise of a more civil discussion.

I will agree with chakes. I did not participate in any of the threads were a lot of the problems arose that was my option.An off topic section would not hurt. It comes down to varying opinions in everyday events that are not related to Game Used items. If you did not wanna participate in that section that would be your option. Change is good it helps everyone grow. For example Haiti earthquake, the recent snowstorms, mlb off season transactions. It never hurts to try something new. It would eliminate any clutter in the game used section. On another board we have that as we also have each sport broken down in there own sections mlb,NFL,NHL and NBA...
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Warren,

Nick

I've been looking at other forums and belong to a couple that do have an OT section where folks can post about weather, current events (in fact one forum has a "current events" section),etc.

The best thing is folks can discuss OT subject matter in it's own section which will not clutter up the other game used sections.

Another thing to consider is alot folks have formed friendships here and the fact that they want an OT section and not just talk game used can be taken as a positive sign of these bonds which have formed.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi46 View Post
    Sportscentury....The last part of your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...It's a matter of personal opinion whether or not I think it's a good idea. If someone is already banned, who cares what the reason is. They did something against forum rules and that's it. There no longer going to be a part of the forum so what good comes out of it talking about them. Just because this is my opinion and I'm a newer member makes me a crook if your eyes? Sorry but I don't see the correlation. I've had a number of flawless transactions with senior members on here. Maybe you should think before you make negative accusations that you have no right making.
    I assume that you meant to say, "They're no longer going to be a part of the forum..."

This statement is naive at best. Have you been following GUU at all? Folks who have been banned come back again and again with new fraudulent userids. So, your assertion is false. Also, who said anything about "talking about them?" The proposal is to have a published list of banned users. Period. End. No discussion. It would be a closed/locked forum that is accessible only to Forum Moderators. I suggest more reading and thinking and less writing. Whether the new forum moderators endorse the suggestion is irrelevent to the merit of Frik's suggestion. The suggestion is good and stands on its own. To oppose it so strongly is odd and instills suspicion in some of us who have been here from the beginning watching the site's unfortunate evolution. Frik is not liked by several GUU members, but when she makes a legitimate suggestion, it is important that we have an intellectual rather than emotional response to it.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.