• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Re: Suggestion for GUU

Originally posted by sammy
    "I do know that there was a reason why we were never allowed this before."

Maybe this was before your time, but when the original GUF was started by Eric, the ability to edit one's own post was available to all members and used by many.

It was halted and not incorporated in the new GUU when the original forum was sold. Many members from the old forum complained to the new owners, but like many suggestions, this too fell on deaf ears.
    Are you sure, I was there from the beginning with Eric and don't recall anyone but Eric who did edits at first. Maybe Eric can let us in on some history.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Comment

• frikativ54
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sportscentury
      I'm surprised by the opposition to this suggestion. I see only positives and no negatives from having a banned list published and updated. This site has become downright dangerous with all of the fraud. It is one of the main reasons why some folks hesitate to post here. Publishing/posting a banned list is not unique to political fora, I assure you. Other sports collectibles websites do this, as well. HobbyKings, which is, by far, the most popular and successful basketball card website/forum has done this since day one, and it has really helped members to be informed, feel secure, and protect themselves. I can't help but wonder why certain members would be so dead-set against this idea. Hmmm...
      I couldn't agree more. On this forum, I have had the experience of people creating second and third accounts to bait and attack me. While these members may get banned, without knowing who they are and their connection to past members, I simply don't feel safe. This site is becoming more adversarial by the day; why not put our minds at ease with transparency about banned members?
      Les Zukor
      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• chakes89
        • May 2006

How about a ban list in a locked thread or a section of the site where only admins and mod can post?
        I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• sportscentury
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by chakes89
          How about a ban list in a locked thread or a section of the site where only admins and mod can post?
          Right. This is how it has worked successfully on the other collecting fora I referenced. Certainly not a good idea to make this an open thread. Again, I don't see a reason to not have it. Regardless of the ultimate decision, though, to see the strong negative reactions to this idea from some junior/newer members did raise my eyebrows a bit.
          Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• Rossi46
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by sportscentury
            Right. This is how it has worked successfully on the other collecting fora I referenced. Certainly not a good idea to make this an open thread. Again, I don't see a reason to not have it. Regardless of the ultimate decision, though, to see the strong negative reactions to this idea from some junior/newer members did raise my eyebrows a bit.
            Sportscentury....The last part of your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...It's a matter of personal opinion whether or not I think it's a good idea. If someone is already banned, who cares what the reason is. They did something against forum rules and that's it. There no longer going to be a part of the forum so what good comes out of it talking about them. Just because this is my opinion and I'm a newer member makes me a crook if your eyes? Sorry but I don't see the correlation. I've had a number of flawless transactions with senior members on here. Maybe you should think before you make negative accusations that you have no right making.

Comment

• chakes89
              • May 2006

A list of all banned members along with their REAL NAMES would be very beneficial to the collecting world.

Especially if a person was banned for selling fake items or was caught faking autographs or doctoring game used equipment.

People don't leave the hobby if they are banned from GUU, they just look for other places to try and sell their crap
              I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• Rossi46
                • Feb 2009

A list of all banned members along with their REAL NAMES would be very beneficial to the collecting world.

Especially if a person was banned for selling fake items or was caught faking autographs or doctoring game used equipment.

People don't leave the hobby if they are banned from GUU, they just look for other places to try and sell their crap
                To me that makes perfect sense.....I would be in favor of the list since you put it that way...I guess my thought was if you start a thread about banned members, someone might start a new thread asking about what exactly happened. They might want all the details and turn a un-needed thread into a bashing gossip thread, that's all.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by sammy
                  The ability to edit one's own posting. At times members post in the heat of whatever and regret or want to change the things stated. I see the moderators have this ability and use it frequently on their own posts.
                  Agreed - The mods have always been able to edit typos, etc.

I understand why there is no edit feature, but I'm sure some of us would like to make corrections occasionally. I know I would.
                  Dave
                  Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                  River City Redbird Authentics
                  http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                    • Oct 2005

I like this... makes perfect sense.

Comment

• dcrules01
                      • Nov 2005

I personally do not like the idea of a list of banned members. Why focus on that when the board is heading in a better direction. The moderators are here I am sure they have the list and if actions need to be taking they will come through. People can disagree but as long as you respect another opinion that differs from yours there should be no problem.

I personally do not mind the no edit feature. It holds people accountable for there actions. Think before you speak my father always told me.I stayed out of the threads that were no good for the board. They served no purpose to me and I am not about to get into an argument with a computer screen. We are all here for the purpose of sharing our knowledge and collections. The 5 new mods will do a superb job and I am sure they will encounter a few speed bumps along the way. They have my support ..
                      Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2009

I still would be in favor of a LIMITED edit feature, such as on Newsvine. With that, your post is held on screen for 3 minutes to allow you to check for typos, misspelling, poor choices of words, etc. Any edits must be made in that 3-minute time frame, if not, the post goes up as is and is no longer subject to editing. It would help people correct legitimate errors without allowing the post to be deleted or altered after being posted.

Dave M.
                        Chicago area

Comment

• ham1963
                          • Apr 2006

Here is what the silent majorty thinks Who cares let just talk aboput game used collecting.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by dcrules01
                            I personally do not like the idea of a list of banned members. Why focus on that when the board is heading in a better direction. The moderators are here I am sure they have the list and if actions need to be taking they will come through. People can disagree but as long as you respect another opinion that differs from yours there should be no problem.

I personally do not mind the no edit feature. It holds people accountable for there actions. Think before you speak my father always told me.I stayed out of the threads that were no good for the board. They served no purpose to me and I am not about to get into an argument with a computer screen. We are all here for the purpose of sharing our knowledge and collections. The 5 new mods will do a superb job and I am sure they will encounter a few speed bumps along the way. They have my support ..
                            Scott - Great points and thanks for the messages you sent me. I went through a few banned members and I couldn't tell you why some of them were banned unless I researched and why rehash it. The main thing is improving the Forum for the future.

When Yankees.Stub was banned, Vic Fanatic wasn't his real name. What could really be told about him or Genke or Posada20 or NYCRulesU or Hyl or TJM5711 or the rest of them that were banned.

To me, a Banned List may cause a lot of unwanted speculation and drama and problematic posts that could lead to inaccuracies.

Again, these are my own personal opinions. I have been outspoken myself before with my opinions as I want to see the Game Used Memorabilia Discussion category return to Game Used Discussions and move the OT items to its own section.

I think yesterday alone there was good progress. Thanks again!
                            Regards,
                            Andrew Lang
                            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                            202-716-8500

Comment

• allstarsplus
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ham1963
                              Here is what the silent majorty thinks Who cares let just talk aboput game used collecting.
                              Exactly, which is why we need the OT section!
                              Regards,
                              Andrew Lang
                              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                              202-716-8500

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by allstarsplus
                                Exactly, which is why we need the OT section!
                                An OT section would ruin this forum forever. There is already an OT section...every other message board and forum on the internet.
                                I think some of you are cool dudes with a lot of knowledge. I could care less about your religious views, your bank account, your car, your job, what dog breed you think is best, your pick for the Oscar, your favorite song, Mac or Windows, boxers or briefs, a good recipe for a fried banana sandwich, etc.

Is the purpose of this forum to gain the most readership or to share the knowledge of game used sports memorabilia?

Comment

Working...