Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Banned

Re: NBA All-Star Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by drexler22 View Post
    does he just bid on nba all-star gear, or generally anything which come's up that is nba game used or auto'd?
    he bids on everything on nba auctions that is game used except the scrub stuff and autographed stuff he bids on alot also.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    do you think jt also purchases league superstar jerseys such as this?

http://store.upperdeck.com/store/Bas...___76309?Args=
    no because the game used stuff he bids on is all 1 of 1 ie allstar jerseys, playoff jerseys, jerseys from special nights ie christmas, latin night. this jersey is a plain regular season jersey like the other 80 odd ones dwayne wears a year.

Banned

legaleagle92481,

I am a frequent reader here, and have followed this whole post.

I enjoy your input on the forum, but I have to tell you I really think you got lost in the woods on this thread.

On your post #98, do you even realize what it is you are suggesting? You say you agree to a free market system, but then go on to state you believe there should be "limits" placed on potential bidders (winners)?

I believe if you think really think about what you've said here, you will realize your error, and just let it go.

If there is an organization, museum, group of investors, or just one rich guy who desires to own the whole lot, stock, and barrel of All-Star jerseys being offered from a year, what possible better way, in fairness and honesty, could their be than to do exactly that in an open public auction format? It's not like he's "shilling" them up? He's WINNING them.

I think the point is also emphisized in the fact you were agreeing with a member who turned out to be a prior trouble-maker here, previously banned, and banned again after this thread's reappearance.

Then, you go on in your post #110 to completely contradict yourself after the first four sentences. What if the guy dies? You just get through explaining that relying on "one customer" is a bad idea, but then go on to say upon realization of the guy no longer being an entity in the auction (for any number of reasons), that the value of these items might go UP because collectors may actually realize they finally have a chance to WIN one??

I hope you understand, I am not trying to pick on you, your thoughts, or call you out for any reason. I just think your frustration, as any NBA collector will no doubt share these days, have temporarily clouded your reasoning. There is NOTHING wrong with the auction process we all are witnessing. There is nothing that can be done to "improve" the process for collectors. It is what it is.

Try to look at it this way.

If you were a professaional golfer, it's just a tough time in history to have been living in the profession in the last decade. Why? You've to to go up against Tiger. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Do you get it?

Would it be fair to the other "golfers" if we the PGA were to put "restrictions" on how many tourneys Tiger could win during any given year?

I hope this comes across as a friendly post, as that is my intention. Keep up with your comments as I do enjoy reading them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billie-boy View Post
    legaleagle92481,

I am a frequent reader here, and have followed this whole post.

I enjoy your input on the forum, but I have to tell you I really think you got lost in the woods on this thread.

On your post #98, do you even realize what it is you are suggesting? You say you agree to a free market system, but then go on to state you believe there should be "limits" placed on potential bidders (winners)?

I believe if you think really think about what you've said here, you will realize your error, and just let it go.

If there is an organization, museum, group of investors, or just one rich guy who desires to own the whole lot, stock, and barrel of All-Star jerseys being offered from a year, what possible better way, in fairness and honesty, could their be than to do exactly that in an open public auction format? It's not like he's "shilling" them up? He's WINNING them.

I think the point is also emphisized in the fact you were agreeing with a member who turned out to be a prior trouble-maker here, previously banned, and banned again after this thread's reappearance.

Then, you go on in your post #110 to completely contradict yourself after the first four sentences. What if the guy dies? You just get through explaining that relying on "one customer" is a bad idea, but then go on to say upon realization of the guy no longer being an entity in the auction (for any number of reasons), that the value of these items might go UP because collectors may actually realize they finally have a chance to WIN one??

I hope you understand, I am not trying to pick on you, your thoughts, or call you out for any reason. I just think your frustration, as any NBA collector will no doubt share these days, have temporarily clouded your reasoning. There is NOTHING wrong with the auction process we all are witnessing. There is nothing that can be done to "improve" the process for collectors. It is what it is.

Try to look at it this way.

If you were a professaional golfer, it's just a tough time in history to have been living in the profession in the last decade. Why? You've to to go up against Tiger. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Do you get it?

Would it be fair to the other "golfers" if we the PGA were to put "restrictions" on how many tourneys Tiger could win during any given year?

I hope this comes across as a friendly post, as that is my intention. Keep up with your comments as I do enjoy reading them.
    well my question to you and others who question my reasoning is have you ever bid against this guy? if not try it a few times and let me know if your feelings change and i guarentee they will.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    well my question to you and others who question my reasoning is have you ever bid against this guy? if not try it a few times and let me know if your feelings change and i guarentee they will.
    With all due respect, what do your "feelings" have to do with a fair free market system that allows an auction to operate in the manner it is supposed to?

Suggesting to set limits on how many items a specific bidder can win is completely contradictory to how the auction process is set up to work. Anyone is able to bid, provided they have the means and intentions of paying, and any item is open for their efforts to do just that. Anything less would be an imperfect system, as things would then not reach their "true" market value at that given time.

You can argue all you want (futilly) on what would happen if the winner then goes to auction off the items he "overpayed" for in the secondary market, but that's an entirly different issue. If he's buying all of these items because he simply wants to own them, the value is only meaningful to him, and the secondary market doesn't even come into the picture. But, I will leave you with this thought on the subject: There was someone right there with him on each item, right up until they gave up and his last bid won it. Two people create an auction for each item, and that's about as open and fair as it gets.

If everything we as collectors were after was obtainable, what thrill of the chase and satisfaction of winning would there be after finally landing that highly sought-after piece? It's part of what makes collecting so contagious. Placing "restrictions" and "limits" on how the auction process works is backwards in regards to deep pocketed collectors just makes no sense.

I haven't bid against this guy, but I have lost out on other auctions to a number of other bidders on items I really wanted. It happens, and is part of what makes the whole process work.

I understand your dismay over not being able to beat this guy in these auctions. But if he is as deep pocketed as he seems to be, and has his mind made up that he's going to win every jersey no matter what, I refer you back to my Tiger Woods analogy: It's a bad time for you to be involved in the process...but that's life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billie-boy View Post
    With all due respect, what do your "feelings" have to do with a fair free market system that allows an auction to operate in the manner it is supposed to?

Suggesting to set limits on how many items a specific bidder can win is completely contradictory to how the auction process is set up to work. Anyone is able to bid, provided they have the means and intentions of paying, and any item is open for their efforts to do just that. Anything less would be an imperfect system, as things would then not reach their "true" market value at that given time.

You can argue all you want (futilly) on what would happen if the winner then goes to auction off the items he "overpayed" for in the secondary market, but that's an entirly different issue. If he's buying all of these items because he simply wants to own them, the value is only meaningful to him, and the secondary market doesn't even come into the picture. But, I will leave you with this thought on the subject: There was someone right there with him on each item, right up until they gave up and his last bid won it. Two people create an auction for each item, and that's about as open and fair as it gets.

If everything we as collectors were after was obtainable, what thrill of the chase and satisfaction of winning would there be after finally landing that highly sought-after piece? It's part of what makes collecting so contagious. Placing "restrictions" and "limits" on how the auction process works is backwards in regards to deep pocketed collectors just makes no sense.

I haven't bid against this guy, but I have lost out on other auctions to a number of other bidders on items I really wanted. It happens, and is part of what makes the whole process work.

I understand your dismay over not being able to beat this guy in these auctions. But if he is as deep pocketed as he seems to be, and has his mind made up that he's going to win every jersey no matter what, I refer you back to my Tiger Woods analogy: It's a bad time for you to be involved in the process...but that's life.
    First, the guy has two different bidding ids in an auction for obvious reasons noone should be allowed to have more than one ID and be able to be signed in on two computers at once likely with the help of another person. This gives him an edge when alot of items end within a short time frame. On one id he very well may not get his next bid in ontime. Second, the runnerup idea is very misleading. I was the runnerup on most of the allstar game actual game jersey auctions and I was just going to spend a certain amount of money but once that amount was reached I folded and tried my luck on another jersey and on and on. If I had won I would have stopped bidding on the rest of the jerseys once my amount was reached. Except on a couple of jerseys noone else was within a country mile of us. Also on the rare occassions he has not bid on a major jersey often the winning bidder does not pay and the jersey ends up for straight sale on meigray.com. The Christmas 2008 Duncan and Dirk jerseys and the Latin Night 2009 Shaq jersey all ended up this way within the past year. The Dirk jersey is still sitting there in fact. Third, you are misunderstanding what I am saying about the secondary market. My point was that it is not a good business strategy for them or any company to rely so much on one customer and bad for the market in general. If it were a handful of highrollers as is the case with NFL jerseys it would be much different. But if tommorrow this guy's collection hits the market for whatever reason now it goes from these items being scarce to there being a glut on the market, which will drop the values of every NBA jersey through the floor. And most collections eventually do end up on the open market even the Barry Halper collection did. Collectors will then have their pick of this stuff and not feel the need to bid the cost of a decent car to obtain the items when new stuff hits NBA Auctions. And alot of collectors are being lost because they are turned off by him and his two ids and they are no longer bothering to follow the Auctions even. Fourth, all I was saying with limits was some form of restriction applicable to everyone should be put in place whether that is limits, putting some items on straight sale or cancelling bids when the same person has two ids is necessary to keep people interested in this aspect of the hobby and get these items on the secondary market, which is the lifeblood of the hobby. Fifth, he is not Tiger Woods. Many people even a few on this site could outbid him if they so chose. However, most wealthy people got that way by being smart with their money and not tossing it down the drain by continually paying many times what they could ever hope to recoup for an investment. If you do that often enough you will not be wealthy for very long. Derrick Coleman blew 87 million, Tyson blew over a 100. Spending millions on comic books helped bankrupt Nicholas Cage. And there are alot of other examples of wealthy people who were not smart with their money who had similar fates. Noone has unlimited funds and this guy is not the richest man in the world or even anywhere close to it.

Barry is this week's auction the final set of All Star related items for this season? also are you able to reveal what other game used items will be available for auction in the forthcoming weeks (such as special event jerseys)? thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    First, the guy has two different bidding ids in an auction for obvious reasons noone should be allowed to have more than one ID and be able to be signed in on two computers at once likely with the help of another person. This gives him an edge when alot of items end within a short time frame. On one id he very well may not get his next bid in ontime. Second, the runnerup idea is very misleading. I was the runnerup on most of the allstar game actual game jersey auctions and I was just going to spend a certain amount of money but once that amount was reached I folded and tried my luck on another jersey and on and on. If I had won I would have stopped bidding on the rest of the jerseys once my amount was reached. Except on a couple of jerseys noone else was within a country mile of us. Also on the rare occassions he has not bid on a major jersey often the winning bidder does not pay and the jersey ends up for straight sale on meigray.com. The Christmas 2008 Duncan and Dirk jerseys and the Latin Night 2009 Shaq jersey all ended up this way within the past year. The Dirk jersey is still sitting there in fact. Third, you are misunderstanding what I am saying about the secondary market. My point was that it is not a good business strategy for them or any company to rely so much on one customer and bad for the market in general. If it were a handful of highrollers as is the case with NFL jerseys it would be much different. But if tommorrow this guy's collection hits the market for whatever reason now it goes from these items being scarce to there being a glut on the market, which will drop the values of every NBA jersey through the floor. And most collections eventually do end up on the open market even the Barry Halper collection did. Collectors will then have their pick of this stuff and not feel the need to bid the cost of a decent car to obtain the items when new stuff hits NBA Auctions. And alot of collectors are being lost because they are turned off by him and his two ids and they are no longer bothering to follow the Auctions even. Fourth, all I was saying with limits was some form of restriction applicable to everyone should be put in place whether that is limits, putting some items on straight sale or cancelling bids when the same person has two ids is necessary to keep people interested in this aspect of the hobby and get these items on the secondary market, which is the lifeblood of the hobby. Fifth, he is not Tiger Woods. Many people even a few on this site could outbid him if they so chose. However, most wealthy people got that way by being smart with their money and not tossing it down the drain by continually paying many times what they could ever hope to recoup for an investment. If you do that often enough you will not be wealthy for very long. Derrick Coleman blew 87 million, Tyson blew over a 100. Spending millions on comic books helped bankrupt Nicholas Cage. And there are alot of other examples of wealthy people who were not smart with their money who had similar fates. Noone has unlimited funds and this guy is not the richest man in the world or even anywhere close to it.
    Wow, that's a mouthful.

What if this "guy" is buying all of these jerseys for a museum? Maybe, none of these jerseys have any chance of ever hitting the "secondary" market?

Maybe, his source of "funds" is from many sources, and it's not just one single wealthy person?

Your rambling is just a bunch of personal speculations and generalizations of theory. Even if this is just one single collector, he doesn't need to be the richest guy in the world. All he has to have, and obviously does, is sufficient funds that are unlimited enough to beat out every single solitary bidder who wants any one of these All-Star jerseys. That much I think we all can agree on. The dude's got resources, and one hell of a collection.

there doesn't seem to be much excitement about tonight's auctions, not sure if it's because they're just warm up gear or that everyone is already resigned as to what the outcome will be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    there doesn't seem to be much excitement about tonight's auctions, not sure if it's because they're just warm up gear or that everyone is already resigned as to what the outcome will be.
    I think the excitement is a tempered because one person has spent over $350,000 on ALL of the allstar weekend stuff from Lebron's jersey down to Durant's socks and it does not take a psychic to predict where tonight's stuff will end up.