Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Lou Gehrig "gamer"

Now this guy is offering a "Lou Gehrig" bat for a mere $180,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1923-25-Lou-Gehr...mZ260553208811

What makes this a guaranteed Gehrig bat? Not the name on the barrel, not the side-writing. The way we know this bat was used by Lou is that it has a squared-off barrel, and Lou sometimes used similarly altered bats. Well, I would be doubtful, but there is a 2-page LOA and 2-page COA to put my concerns to rest.

You know... I have a 1965-68 Bob Saverine gamer here, and as I think about it, who's to say Frank Robinson, Mickey Mantle, AND Roberto Clemente didn't all use it at some point? They all used 35" bats during their careers, and the bat has ball and stitch marks on both sides of the barrel... All I need is an impressive LOA/COA and I could offer it for, let's see, what would be fair? $25,000.

Re: Lou Gehrig "gamer"

As long as you use Microsoft WordArt as the font for your COA, you're golden. Who in their right mind could question a COA with 3-D words????
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

I would like 2 please!

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    As long as you use Microsoft WordArt as the font for your COA, you're golden. Who in their right mind could question a COA with 3-D words????

Sparta,
    Good one! I laughed out loud.

Be careful Mark...you will receive a threatening e-mail that will cause you to shake in your boots from the seller.

You can read what they sent me in the "Bench Gamer" thread just below.

Seriously though..these people sale fake stuff and threaten legal action if you oppose them. How crazy is that?

The Bench was just awful...and now this one is beyond ludicrous.

Check out the Q and A at the bottom of the eBay listing for the bat too.

Funny stuff....

Ben

WOW !!!!!!! This might be funny if there was not a remote chance that some potential buyer might fall for this.

Mike

I have a couple of bats that are cut off and match the specs of this Lou Gehrig "gamer" -- I'm assuming if I offer them to him for ten percent of their value, a mere 18,000 dollars each, he'll want to snap them right up.

I'm also amazed that everytime someone asks him a question about one of his items, he's immediately able to contact the authenticator, even on a weekend or a holiday.

And one other thing that I haven't seen mentioned here or on the Bench bat thread -- how about his response to momen55 -- he apologized for mistakes because the Bench bat authentication was a "rush job" done in the middle of authenticating hundreds of older vintage bats this week. What buyer isn't looking for a bat that was authenticated in a mere matter of minutes???

And finally Mark -- I believe that even though he retired several years earlier, Ted Williams used a 65-68 Bob Saverine for most of his career.

Greg

Thanks, Say Hey, you just added $10,000 to the value of my Saverine.

I did mention to the seller that H&B shipping records don't exist anymore for 1924, since he seems to think the absence of 1924 Gehrig orders in Vince's book is part of his "evidence." But obviously he's not interested in learning anything. It's pretty clear what he's trying to do, and he knows it.

Had anyone tried to figure out who Fohler and Paul Suerh are?

For an authenticator I would assume this should have been step one.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.