Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

O/T: Whats the worst question someone has asked you about an auction item?

This morning I woke up with a question in my inbox about some jerseys I am selling, with the interested buyer stating:

"I've been watching a few items of yours, and i am wondering, Why is your Shipping So High? A Flat Rate Box is Less and A Flat Rate Envelope is Less? Help me out with this, I would very much like to hear you answer."

The shipping is $15, and depending on insurance and other things, it can run over that.

So this whole thing got me thinking, what's the dumbest/worst/most pointless question someone has asked you on an auction item?
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Re: O/T: Whats the worst question someone has asked you about an auction item?

Ryan:
    For me, it has to be several auctions that I've run on eBay in which someone contacts me and asks if I will end the auction early and sell the item to them for X-amount, OR if I will change my auction to a "Buy it Now" and they suggest the BIN price.

In the first instance, that is totally against eBay policy to end an auction early with an offer, etc., but that is also against my ethics. I generally reply that I'll let the auction run out to the end, and "good luck."

how did you obtain the item and was it stolen?

and this came with a team letter lol.

I grew tiresome of insulting "best offers" on game used jerseys. For example, I listed a jersey at $200 BIN with a best offer feature and the first offer that comes in is $25.00. After a while, I started using the 'auto reject' feature on offers that are below a certain amount (let's say $125 or $150).

I also hate when I have a game used jersey of (let's say) a 70's star, and I get a question along the lines of "do you have any other jerseys of this style in a size 52?" I suppose these questions are from guys who want to wear the jerseys, and have no knowledge of the sizes of players and cuts of the jerseys from 30-40 years ago. You would be hard pressed to find something even as large as a 46 back then; however, the idea of buying one of them to wear around has me scratching my head.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    how did you obtain the item and was it stolen?

and this came with a team letter lol.
    This is an actual problem that the players themselves are obviously aware of. I recall being at a Ron Darling signing within the past couple of years. I presented Ronnie with his 1993 home Oakland A's jersey (mind you, this was purchased directly from the team, and had the team stamp on the jersey itself). He looked at the guy next to him, almost in disgust, and said "these always managed to make their way out the back door of the clubhouse." I then was prompted to go on the defensive and show him the property stamp and explain that it was purchased directly from the team. I wonder how many other players assume the worst when their former equipment shows up in front of them at a signing.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

The worst comment I ever received was about n20-25 years ago, when a regular jersey customer at the old Plymouth (MI) show declined to buy a Chet Lemon jersey from me even though he liked the style (Veeck era White Sox). His reason?

"I don't want jerseys that were worn by black people>"

Sad.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    This is an actual problem that the players themselves are obviously aware of. I recall being at a Ron Darling signing within the past couple of years. I presented Ronnie with his 1993 home Oakland A's jersey (mind you, this was purchased directly from the team, and had the team stamp on the jersey itself). He looked at the guy next to him, almost in disgust, and said "these always managed to make their way out the back door of the clubhouse." I then was prompted to go on the defensive and show him the property stamp and explain that it was purchased directly from the team. I wonder how many other players assume the worst when their former equipment shows up in front of them at a signing.
    TNT -

I understand players being upset when it's a Glove or Cleats, but for the most part, the TEAM - NOT the Player, buys the jerseys and hats. Bats vary depending on their contract.

So when players get bent about 'their' jersey, I have to laugh. I know from talking to players with the Rockies that if they want to keep jerseys, they have to pay the Rockies whatever the cost of the jersey was to the team - so unless they buy it and then it 'disappears', it wasn't really 'their' jersey in the 1st place.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - Worst question... I had a few Rockies GU World Series Hats from 2007 with Rox LOA... I had people writing telling me they could get player X hat (GU or AU, etc) for $XXX, so why wre mine more - what made them so 'special'??? REALLY??? GU WS Hat versus regular season hat?

"Why would you charge so much for someone else's used shirt? Were you an "athlete" that couldn't make your high school team and now live vicariously through real athletes? I'd only pay $xxx (which is like 15% of the BIN)

I only own 1 shirt that average hockey fans would be impressed with so it's not like I'm selling a Mantle or a Jim Brown shirt. The jersey was a MeiGray registered Canucks jersey. It was lower than their 50% off sale.

People like that amaze me and I actually responded that I collect to feel closer to the teams I love and hopefully will add a few shirts that will connect me through some great memories of my dad. When he threw the stupid offer on the bottom, I realized he was just trying to guilt and shame me into his price.

Just add it to the reason eBay can me more of a pain than it's worth.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
    Ryan:
    For me, it has to be several auctions that I've run on eBay in which someone contacts me and asks if I will end the auction early and sell the item to them for X-amount, OR if I will change my auction to a "Buy it Now" and they suggest the BIN price.

In the first instance, that is totally against eBay policy to end an auction early with an offer, etc., but that is also against my ethics. I generally reply that I'll let the auction run out to the end, and "good luck."
    Can you explain why you feel that this practice is unethical? I understand about eBay policy and everything, it's just I have never found it to be an ethics question. Please enlighten me with your logic.

Thanks.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Got this one recently:

"How come you will not let me give you offers?? I feel that my offers are pretty fair considering you probally got it for free!! I know you think my offer of a dollar was a bit unfair, so after much consideration my offer is $2.00. I feel this is a fair offer. Please think it over the next couple of days. I will be waiting for your response. Thank You and God Bless"

Also, the item was a local pick up only and they were from Iowa and I am in CA.